Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2015, 01:22 AM

Default Advice for newbie hunting WT in 318?

Hi all. This is my first season hunting, I took the AHEIA course in October and have been reading and learning everything I can, poring over forums, youtube, maps, and the iHunter app. I've spent days wandering in the grazing leases and crown land in 318 and surrounding zones, tried scents, calling, rattling, stalking through the woods, waiting in a ground blind, and have come up blank.

I've only got a general whitetail tag, and being my first year, I'm shy on land permissions and the pre-season stalking I didn't realize I should have been doing all year so I've been trying my best on crown land but have never seen so few deer in my life. In fact in 6 full days in 318, I have only seen 2 little fawn/yearlings, which despite my absolute frustration, I thought it would be only ethical to let them keep growing. Last weekend I followed a tip I saw here and spent every minute of legal light west of Sundre and didn't see so much as deer turds..

I'm not looking for anyone to give up their best secret spots or anything, but if anyone could share some general guidance, areas, or tips on 318 or surrounding areas (even via PM), it would be much appreciated. I'm not looking for trophy bucks or anything, just hunting for meat so a doe would be just fine. Thanks in advance for any help you can give, signing off now so I can get up in 4 hours and make my way out to Caroline to try again.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:42 AM

Find the sign. Fresh tracks, rubs and scrapes. Stick to those areas and hunt the wind direction. (Wind in your face but a crosswind will do). If you aren't seeing the sign don't waste your time hunting that spot.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:07 AM

First off stop with calling ,doesn't work regardless of what the experts say ,rattling woks if you've practiced and know what your doing and even then its a hit and miss under perfect conditions and you know the area your hunting .
Get into the 326 ,324 area of swan lake and take a hike up one of the cutlines into a hill side or cut block .
there are plenty of deer in there ,sit for a bit at first light and mid day is awesome for deer movement when the rut is on ,most guys go for lunch and that is when the biggest deer are on the move ,
hang around the same area if there is sign until dark.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:56 PM

you said you saw 2 yearlings just remember there daddies around somewhere keep looking .put in the time .
Old 11-24-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
First off stop with calling ,doesn't work
lol, I guess all the deer I called in didn't get the memo.

To the O.P. keep trying, hunting isn't easy, for most of us. My best advice, keep track of the wind, it is your best friend and your worst enemy.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
Get into the 326 ,324 area of swan lake and take a hike up one of the cutlines into a hill side or cut block .
Thanks for the tip, I spent a bunch of time there today. Saw some adult does for the first time which made the whole trip worthwhile, but unfortunately couldn't get a clean shot.

Also, got kicked off a cutline on a grazing permit in the area despite the SRD website saying 'no contact required'. The holder of an adjacent grazing lease claimed to hold the permit and ran me off. It's a shame too as it was a nice little spot.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:33 PM

318 is heavy on white and mule deer. I know of a big mature buck there...... But not going to let you know where. He has ran top speed , and have heard his grunt that sent chills down my back. That place is loaded with white tail. Here's one tip I will give you, white tails don't like it around evergreen trees they prefer popular tree's , aspen, birch etc. When you track deer bucks are more likely to drag there hoof's where as doe's pick up there hoof's in the snow. Love 318 my favourite place to hunt! Have fun, look for those signs and good luck. May a record whitetail buck fart in your General direction.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:23 PM

This might be more of a tip for next season, but check with the Alberta Fish and Game Association http://www.afga.org/
They own a bunch of properties around the province that are foot-access only, but you can hunt there. I'm hunting one in 314.
Good luck man! We still have a few days left, don't give up.