Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-16-2023, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansol View Post
Copper bullets may as well be FMJ unless they are launched, and remain, at rather high velocity at impact. (Relative to lead-constructed bullets.)
That all depends on the jacket construction , same as a cast bullet or round ball.
Make it too hard, and it won't expand either.

I have been told by some hunters that they refuse to use Partitions because they lose too much weight, even after I explain to them that the the H mantel bullet is DESIGNED that way!
The C.I.L. bullets were staked for the same reason, and often the front half of the bullet was gone, but the rear section was retained because of the stakes .
This is not heresay BTW, it came right from one of their R&D people.
Cat
Old 12-16-2023, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Thought of another. My hunting partner shot a 370 public land bull. When he butchered that bull there was a bullet surrounded by grissel flatten against the shoulder bone of that bull. Bullet failure? Sure wasn’t bullet success.

My wife’s bull moose this year had the same thing, except we found the bullet between the scapula and ribs. The scapula had healed and there was a big ball of bone and scar tissue, cut it open and there was a perfectly mushroomed bullet. In this case I think it was a pass thru on another moose and into this one’s shoulder.
Old 12-17-2023, 07:19 AM

I think Bob Hagel said:

I don't want a bullet that works when everything goes right, I want one that works when things go wrong.
Old 12-17-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
I think Bob Hagel said:

I don't want a bullet that works when everything goes right, I want one that works when things go wrong.
The quote referred to cartridge not bullet, in particular the 30-06 loaded with 180gr Sierra BT and a max charge. I would shoot something similar but my rifle just shoots 165s more accurately.

I want a bullet that works when everything goes right...it is my job to have the ability to make everything go right or the common sense to pass the shot when that is not possible.

IMO an animal quartering towards is a dangerous shot in the shoulder. The chances are very good that any bullet will turn away from the vitals rather than into them if you hit bone. At distance I would wait as obviously he is coming towards me and may present a broad side. In close I would shoot above the brisket, ahead of the shoulder at the base of the neck.

Took this off the net;

[IMG][/IMG]

Not a lot can go wrong there and the target is large.

Not wanting to argue with you Chuck. You have dropped 10 times more game than most people on here these days. Many hunters out there are firing at deer and losing deer because they were never taught how an animal reacts when hit and how to follow up and track a hit animal.

There is two ways to get an animal on the ground in a hurry. Take out the shoulders with a stout bullet or blow up the vitals with an expanding bullet. (Obviously a spine or brain shot works too but is most often ill advised) The shot to the chest is easier, causes less meat damage and less suffering for the animal.

Obviously any bullet through the lungs or heart is a kill shot as long as you have the patience to wait for the animal to lay down, the patience to wait for the animal to bleed out and have the tracking skills to find it...too many do not and I have found enough carcasses to know, 3 on one quarter last year.

Anyway, to each their own. I want an inexpensive cartridge that shoots extremely accurate and expands quickly. My son shoots premium ammunition and is more than capable of making a good shot and following up.