Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2015, 03:36 PM

Default defrauding charity

Is there anything a guy can do when you know someone received gifts from santas anonymous that is not in need at all ?
Old 12-21-2015, 03:38 PM

Contact Santa's anonymous?
Old 12-21-2015, 03:43 PM

No idea but that's pretty frikking cheezy.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:47 PM

Not much you can do about it.
As for you, don't give nuthin to nobody except the charities you know all about and that won't abuse the gifts.

Veterans' Food Bank and the Red Cross in my case.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:32 PM

I'm told some people with very expensive vehicles use the food bank too.
I guess that's the cost of helping people in need.
How are you supposed to have people prove they're poor without degrading them?
Old 12-21-2015, 08:14 PM

At the very least you should write to Santa and get the person on the Naughty List.

I believe there are areas of the criminal code that relate to false statements and fraudulent representation. If it can be proven that they have lied to represent themselves as in need and encouraged others to donate to them based upon those lies then they might be in trouble. I've read a couple of cases in the press over the last year were people falsely claim they have cancer(or such) and accept donations.

I've got a guy in my town who works for the city - actually one of the highest paid managers earning $150K+ and he claims for financial aid for his sons junior hockey every year.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:27 PM

Several years ago my wife and I volunteered to deliver for Santa's anonymous.
More than a few of the houses we delivered to were quite expensive with equally expensive vehicles parked in the drive way.
Kinda discouraged us from doing it again.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:16 PM

My gosh. Sickening.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:36 PM

Maybe there's not much you can do , I'll call it in to the group anyways but I really hate to see some kids get left out for one I know for a fact will be spoiled absolutely rotten. Some people have no boundaries
Old 12-22-2015, 07:50 AM

Sometimes we don't know all the facts and all the circumstances. We don't know the families secrets as to why they might be on the list. Could be another family was not on it and they were just getting the gifts so as to not embarass the intended recipients.

Lots of conclusions...but zero facts.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-22-2015, 08:11 AM
Banned

One thing that annoys me about the Red Cross is there constant practice of sending me garbage in the mail.
Christmas cards and gift tags and calendars...
I have asked them many times to take me off that list...the money I send them (they take money from my account every month) I want to go to those in need.
I don't need their cheesy crap. I know it is a ploy to get me to up my donation...but it in fact does just the opposite.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:51 AM

Call CBC news they'd have a crew over there shaming them instantly, the CBC thrives on that stuff
Old 12-22-2015, 10:14 AM

Par for the course.

Used to work by the food bank in Calgary. Honestly have seen 80 000 Benz's roll up, women get out and load up.

Certain other cultures view our generosity as weakness and if stuff is being given away for free they will take it.

What you hope is for every 10 gifts, 1 makes it to a kid that really needs it.

In the good cases, parents are too proud to let anybody know they are hurting. Its a conundrum how to discover these people and get them the help they need. Its only the deadbeats and weasels standing up yelling that they need free stuff.

How many of you guys would drive down to the food bank or sign up for a Christmas charity for your kids if you fell on tough times? I'd be cutting my kidney out and hawking it on ebay before I took charity.

If you want to help, my suggestion is do it with your church or another community based organization that has individuals in the pit that can put names to faces.

Merry Christmas everybody.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Several years ago my wife and I volunteered to deliver for Santa's anonymous.
More than a few of the houses we delivered to were quite expensive with equally expensive vehicles parked in the drive way.
Kinda discouraged us from doing it again.
We did this a few years ago and had a similar reaction BUT we also delivered to parents weeping with joy because their children would get a Christmas gift this year. We drove up to places ranging from huge expensive houses to subsidized housing and got reactions ranging from kids literally jumping for joy at our arrival to people refusing "help".

Overall it was positive and we decided not to judge the people in nice houses because, maybe they lost their jobs and are house poor & can't afford presents, the gift is for a friend our relative who is recently divorced or unemployed and can't afford gifts either. There are many reasons why people could appear wealthy but not afford gifts for the kids so instead of "deciding" to be jaded we gave people the benefit of the doubt and focused on the good we were doing instead of the potential abuse.

This year we went again and decided to take out two nephews 8 & 9 to show them more about what Christmas is all about. Unfortunately we didn't have any overwhelmingly positive experiences but we did get out and deliver some presents so it wasn't for nothing. I hope the message got through but I think mostly they were bored.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard