Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-24-2016, 08:30 PM

Default wall tent stoves?

I picked up another wall tent and think this time to add a oven in to my stove this time. Has anyone done this? Any other good ideas for a stove? Thanks Mitch.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:17 PM

After typing the 'book' below on my stove experiences, I went back and reread your original question. An oven eh?

I think Coleman makes an oven 'box' you put over the burners of the stove.
You can fabricate an oven using sheet metal or try using something like this:
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/bakersto.../6000191465748

When I inherited my fathers 6x9 wall tent, it came with a foldings Sims tent stove. It folded down nice; but was heavy and was tough to control the heat output since it was not even close to airtight. I tried installing stove door gasket material to the piano hinges and door and don't think it helped much. This Sims stove has an OVEN attachment..I personally haven't used it but my mother has..you have to keep an eye on temp since the stove is not easily regulated.
http://www.simsstoves.com/stoveSportsman.html

I have since been given a nice big oval 'cylinder' stove. It stands upright and you load wood in from the top. It's not airtight but looks like less 'holes' than the Sims. A top loading stove is not an ideal setup in my opinion. I haven't used it yet but I'm doubting it's the cats meow. No oven attachment.

I also was given a rectangular stove that burns wood or kerosene/diesel/jet A.
Apparently a military style stove. I know in the old days people heated barns and buildings with kerosene drip style heaters.
I haven't used it yet as a wood stove or a drip heater style heater. I'm afraid of leaking liquid in the tent and the smell of that. I might try it this winter as a wood heater..No oven attachment.

I have purchased a Nu-Way propane stove for use in my Arctic Oven Igloo tent. I used the stove in the old canvas wall tent as well as the Igloo. It can 'just' keep the canvas tent warm..and it can sweat you out of the Igloo. I chalk that up to having essentially a double wall tent versus a single wall tent. A 10 pound bottle lasted over three days with morning and evening usage of about 5 hours a day. Outside temps maybe -10 to -20.
We sleep on cots using bags good to -40C and thermarests about 4" thick.

The propane stove is exhausted out of the tent vs. the little buddy style heaters. The main reason I went with the vented stove over the little buddy styles was to keep the moisture out of the tent and to keep the exhaust gasses out of the tent. You'll have to make your own call on the safety of the little buddy heaters, or any non-vented heating device. Even with a vented stove I use a carbon monoxide detector and a smoke detector.

The best part of the propane stove is the fact I can light it and adjust the heat in one move. No messing with kindling, and fire tending...no oven attachment.

Anyhow, I recommend finding an airtight stove. Less fuel usage and much better control of heat output.

let us know what you settle on!

Last edited by GasGas; 08-25-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:39 PM

Right on thanks. Ill probly just end up building another square one im thinking.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:53 PM
Banned

Default oven

There is enough heat coming off the bottom of a stove to heat a broiler oven. I would not travel without my little bottom oven that clips to the bottom of my 3"x5" summer wood burning cook stove. It is so handy to cook, toast bread or just heat up food with out any water added.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:52 PM

Most robust and solid heating stove we've used. Just like anything good comes a price.

http://fourdog.com/
Old 08-26-2016, 09:29 AM

http://www.cylinderstoves.com/ovens.html
Old 08-26-2016, 06:50 PM

You want to go with a hippy killer, they are reliable, bombproof and idiot proof. Put some sand or firebrick in the bottom so you don't wreck it, burn spruce logs in it all night long. You can stoke it in your tent and it will burn for 2-3 hours before the cold wakes you up to put more wood in it. She'll get your tent up to 25 - 30 degrees even at -46.\

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...I5530302?Num=0