Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-02-2014, 09:06 PM

Default Reasonable prices for a line

What would a reasonable asking price for a decent line be? How much more is it worth with a cabin?
Old 02-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Banned

There's one listed on kijiji for $200K and 2 others with "Please call". I suppose that the value of the line would depend on the assets included (ie. cabins, etc).

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/f-trapline-...ywordZtrapline
Old 02-02-2014, 10:43 PM

If its reasonably priced around here their about $5000 per township plus cabins ect.. Can vary greatly with location though.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:46 PM

How much mile x mile is a township? It doesn't seem like much especially if there is not alot going on for animals around
Where abouts are you located?
Old 02-02-2014, 11:04 PM

One township is 6 miles by 6 miles, gives you 144 quarters of land per township. If you think about it, most resident trappers trap a couple quarters.

$5000 per township is about right for northern AB, meaning north of manning. Some lines in the Caribou mountains sold for less the last couple years, but few poeple actually want a very remote line.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:12 PM

It would be really interesting to know how many lines there are and who is actually using them. To me 6miles by 6 miles isn't a whole lot of area to be trapping. If I could get 4 townships up by Fort Assinaboine or within 2.5 hrs from home for that kind of price I think I might have to get serious about buying. Thing is that you never really hear of much for sale except tfor the rediculous prices guys post for recreational property that will never get trapped.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:21 PM
Banned

I've heard about guys holding onto traplines without trapping them on a few threads now. Every year they have to submit a summary of what they've trapped so I'm wondering, if they haven't trapped any fur for several years doesn't F&W force them to sell because the land is not being utilized? Wouldn't it be a conservation issue as well with habitat loss in the case of beaver?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:28 AM

Try getting somewhere in the porcupine forest in eastern sask., its a joke. Very rare to see a trapline trapped, but there are a few who still do. The beaver problem is outa control, rds and trails flooded and gone. Farther north in the wildcat hills its a little better, but up fr. the forest fringe its beavers 1, trappers 0. There is nobody pushing to get it under control as our government has the conservation officers checking garbage dumps instead of where i'd like to see them. Yes, S.E.R.M. (sask. enviro. resorce mgmt) has to keep an eye out on sm town dumps. Who the hell decides this. Think i'm rambling, and veering away fr this thread. sorry.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:27 AM

fur prices have been steadily rising for the past few years. if this next auction is a bust,(all indications are, that it will be, to a certain degree). that will be the time to look for a line. two down auctions in a row, and your chances continue to improve.ect,ect

demand/interest is high for trap lines.fur prices are high(highish). best to buy, when prices/demand are low. wait 3 weeks and see what happens. if fur prices hold steady/drop a wee bit. i doubt you'll ever see trapline prices, get any lower. if fur plummets, they might get lower.

i'm not looking for line. hope it doesn't plummet. but it might,nature of the business.

also
2/3 of alberta has an industrial footprint.sadly, alot of places just aren't worth trapping.as posted in another thread, the reason people have multiple lines.

look at it per/square mile. 75/mile(crappy logged out clear cut), 90/mile, upto say 150/mile for awesome habitat. plus equipment cabins,etc.

i just made those numbers up, at the end of the day it what the seller/buyer agree too.

it's been awhile since an overpriced trapline thread. kind of nice.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:59 AM
Banned

The price of a trapline is certainly not a finite number across the board. Ours is a mountain line where two of the line cabin's materials and equipment had to be slung in with a helicopter. (30 loads each +-) With all the equipment, ATV's, main cabin, trail improvements (bridges etc.) we are int the line for over 300K. It is 6.5 Townships. A beautiful line, in a PLUZ zone where there is NO logiing or oil activity allowed. Reading some of the threads and posts if we asked what we have into it, probably to most it would appear we have put an outrageous over-inflated price on it. Not the case. And yes we trap it EVERY YEAR and take line management very seriously....it is NOT a vacation destination!

Then take a line say just West of Rocky...lots of logging and oil activity, lots of recreation going on...small line size...judging by the past sales probably 30-50K without a cabin.

To determine a fair price I believe it would be on a line by line basis with assets considered.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:18 AM

1 township is 38 sq mile. Not nessesarily 6x6. The line I jr on is 2x20

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 02-03-2014, 07:48 AM

Township in alberta is 36 miles squared, 6x6 miles. Trapline boundies are not all along township lines.

Here is a bit from alberta surveys.

"Land between the initial meridians was then subdivided into townships. A township is a square tract of land about six miles (9.7 kilometres) on a side, containing thirty-six sections (figure to left). Townships are numbered northward, starting from township one at the 49th parallel and increasing to township 126 at the 60th parallel (the north boundary of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba). For example, Lethbridge is about at township eight; Red Deer at about township thirty-eight; Athabasca about township sixty-six; Fort McMurray about township eighty-nine; and Fort Chipewyan about township one hundred and twelve. A column of townships in the north-south direction is called a range. Townships lie in ranges numbered westward from each Initial Meridian, starting with range one adjoining the west side of each such meridian. There are thirty ranges between the Fourth and Fifth meridians along the 49th parallel, but due to convergence of the meridians, this reduces to only about twenty-three ranges along the north boundary of Alberta. "
Old 02-03-2014, 08:43 AM

Nube,

Have no idea what your plans are but you are likly hauling in more fur now trapping private land than you would if you had a line. Maybe you would still do both. It has been a tough winter on some of the traplines in alberta this year with the snow and melt ect.. I have some close friends that run lines and it has been tough sledding this winter!!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:14 AM

I know for sure I am getting more fur now than most guys on a line. The only thing is I would love to get a line to catch other critters like Marten, Fisher, wolves and lynx. It wouldn't be worth my investment I know but fun.

The best scenario for me would be to have a guy close enough let me trap a line that doesn't get used. I could run back and forth between work. I have a buddy who bought a line last year and I admit I am a bit jelous. It would be nice. I really got into the trapping thing this year. For those that know me I spend night and day hunting but really only got out for 3 days this year hunting because I was trapping so much.

The snow screwed up a lot of my plans and shut me down early this year. I need better truck tires and I need a skidoo. Next year will be prepared better. I just got snares out the other day again where I can use my quad and nailed a few more yotes and a fox. Got to check today and I figure I should have a couple more as well if all goes well. I had a goal of 100 yotes this year and I am only about 3/5 there. Next year it won't be a problem lol
Old 02-03-2014, 10:40 AM

I get what you are saying Nube! I have friends that run lines too, I get a bit jealous when I get a text pic of a fisher or lynx! I send them pics of my yotes but it aint the same!!! Not at the stage in my life were I could run a line and do it properly unless it was out my back door.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:05 PM

Talking

I think greed is a factor for some line-holders when selling. I know of a smaller one SW of Calgary, had a cabin. Turned down an offer of $75,000 in late 2012; wanted $120K. He only paid $25K in 2004. Looks like a total disaster now after the June floods hit! No way will he get anywhere near that now; I think it's funny as hell!

Oh, and he didn't trap it for at least the last two years.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 02-03-2014, 02:33 PM

Just got home after checking a dozen snares I had out and got 2 more yotes and another fox. Same as yesterday lol I will take that every day Got to love the numbers you can get off a resident license but man it would be fun to get into some marten and lynx and a big old male fisher
Old 02-03-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
I think greed is a factor for some line-holders when selling. I know of a smaller one SW of Calgary, had a cabin. Turned down an offer of $75,000 in late 2012; wanted $120K. He only paid $25K in 2004. Looks like a total disaster now after the June floods hit! No way will he get anywhere near that now; I think it's funny as hell!

Oh, and he didn't trap it for at least the last two years.
And there are people out there willing to travel and actually trap these lines like they should be,what a shame and a waste,6 figures for a line is not right IMO Peter
Old 02-03-2014, 02:39 PM

Default trapline

We looked at about 15 lines for sale over last few years. They ran at asking prices from $25k to $200k. The north eastern lines were in the $25- $45K range, foothill lines $75 to $100K and mountain lines $100 to $200k. Lines with rivers, lakes and lots of trees unlogged were asking highest prices. If had 1-2 good cabins and some decent equipment with some trails and bridges were generally higher priced.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:43 PM

Default Line prices

I'd sell mine for 100K if anybody was interested. Just over 3 townships with a 20 by 22 log cabin. In the Saddle Hills north of Grande Prairie.
I've got my eye on another line south in the mountains.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:06 PM

What happens to a line if the trapper is denied a renewal? Does the line just get returned to SRD and given to the next successful applicant? And if the new guy doesn't want the gear the old trapper had, does the former trapper have to incur expense to get his stuff off the line?
Old 02-03-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I'd sell mine for 100K if anybody was interested. Just over 3 townships with a 20 by 22 log cabin. In the Saddle Hills north of Grande Prairie.
I've got my eye on another line south in the mountains.
Hey tork how does all the oilfield traffic affect your line I have hunted out there and I was wondering if all the well sites and pipeline right of ways have helped your access. Or hindered your production. Right now there is sizemic going all over private land and there isn't a deer coyote damn mouse around for miles. My snares are sitting quite empty out there and not a track or a hair in site.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
Hey tork how does all the oilfield traffic affect your line I have hunted out there and I was wondering if all the well sites and pipeline right of ways have helped your access. Or hindered your production. Right now there is sizemic going all over private land and there isn't a deer coyote damn mouse around for miles. My snares are sitting quite empty out there and not a track or a hair in site.
The access is good and the activity doesn't seem to bother the Marten or Fisher. The Lynx are there although I think a fair number get picked off along the roads by the locals. Just a hunch and I've seen a few blood spots where people have walked out to the ends of lynx tracks The wolves seem pretty scarce although there are some around. Lots of beaver for bait in the ponds and although the coyote thin out pretty good when the snow gets deep them and the fox hit the bait piles.
Other then a few days at Christmas when a recreational snowmobiler happens by the place is void of anybody for the rest of the season. Other then the main roads I never see a soul.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:08 PM

Default lines for sale

Nube, the traplines that were for sale are numbers 880 and 534. Center of each line is twp 42 and range 15 and range 14. One is Colt creek and other is Rapid creek line.