Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2020, 10:04 AM

Default 463 Bobcat oil cooler needed

My father has a 463 Bobcat skid steer, very small that he uses for cleaning out his barns. The oil cooler blew a pinhole in it the other day and it seems a new cooler is not available from Bobcat. Does anyone know where he might be able to source something that would work? He’s 70 and I don’t want him forking manure until he has a heart attack.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:37 AM

A radiator repair shop should be able to sort you out by repairing what you have or source you something that will work. Hopefully you have a good rad shop in your area.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:47 AM

After market possibility ? seems you can find just about anything, made in China, of course.

Grizz
Old 05-28-2020, 12:14 PM

Yes took it to a highly recommended rad repair shop, every time they sandblasted a little to do some welding it opened another hole. They had no suggestion other than try Princess Auto. No luck there. It’s a very small cooler, it’s only a 25 hp machine or so.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:33 PM

Would a transmission oil cooler work?

https://transmissioncoolerguide.com/...ission-cooler/
Old 05-28-2020, 12:36 PM

I don't know what size you need. Not only rad size but the inlet and outlet size where your hoses go on.
Trucks and equipment all have em. Some for power steering and others for transmission oil,etc. Any will work as long as they fit. Junkyards must be full of them if you look around? They won't have one exactly for your bobcat but they would have one that would work. Should be dirt cheap. Just blow out the old oil first.
A tractor salvage yard like Grafton coulee should have something if you don't have any local treasure ,I mean junkyards.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:42 PM

Yeah I agree. I know it has to fit in some tube in the back of the machine, power steering or similar cooler from something must work, maybe with a little plumbing adaptation. (Although I don’t know of many machines that have a 25 hp power steering pump) but like I said he’s 70 and not very mechanical and he lives 1,500 miles away so I’m not able to help him directly.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:55 PM

I have a frame mounted heat sink style transmission cooler that was used for engine oil on a quad that has nothing wrong with it, I’d be happy to send to your dad if he would pay shipping. If you think something like that would work pm me.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Yeah I agree. I know it has to fit in some tube in the back of the machine, power steering or similar cooler from something must work, maybe with a little plumbing adaptation. (Although I don’t know of many machines that have a 25 hp power steering pump) but like I said he’s 70 and not very mechanical and he lives 1,500 miles away so I’m not able to help him directly.
An oil cooler is an oil cooler . some suburbans and trucks used to have power steering coolers and some had the identical cooler for engine oil. Depends on which plant made which truck,etc. Same cooler on GMC. Transmission coolers i believe are designed for way more pressure but they would still work for an engine oil cooler.
You know really I dought you would even need an oil cooler on that bobcat anyway. Some farm tractors have them and some don't. If its that hot outside that I need an oil cooler then its to hot for me to. You probably could just plug it off.
I used cooler should cost next to nothing. Some are just hose clamps on rubber hose and others are threaded tube.
Bobcat probably don't sell them because they wouldn't have much sale for them because there are to many sitting on junkyards. I probably have a half dozen different ones kicking around and I'm not a junkyard.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:31 PM

I assume you are looking for the hydraulic oil cooler ? Try a hydraulics shop find something close in size and if it needs modifying take it to the rad shop. You would think the rad shop would be able to build him a new one ???
Old 05-28-2020, 10:21 PM

i have wandered through pic-a-part in north west edmonton when i was in need of parts for my old oliver tractor that were no longer available . If you have a picture of the part and aprox dimensions you may get lucky and find something that would work like an external transmission cooler . They usually have a good selection of various vehicles to shop in .
Old 05-28-2020, 11:15 PM

Yes it’s a hydraulic oil cooler.

A Bobcat needs a hydraulic oil cooler because the entire machine is hydrostatic driven. It’s not just as simple as a power steering or engine oil cooler and is likely to run substantially higher oil pressures. (Although I don’t know what that pressure is and Bobcat couldn’t tell him)
Old 05-29-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
I have a frame mounted heat sink style transmission cooler that was used for engine oil on a quad that has nothing wrong with it, I’d be happy to send to your dad if he would pay shipping. If you think something like that would work pm me.
Misread, I thought you were looking for engine oil cooler not the hydrostatic oil cooler.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your very generous offer.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:55 AM

The way your first post read I thought it was an oil cooler for your engine motor oil.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:32 AM

Maybe a hydraulic shop could source him something similar that will work? Problem now a days is parts guys can’t think beyond what the application is or what’s not on the computer screen.
I had a buddy needed a new starter solenoid for his Johnson outboard so I told him go to Canadian tire with part in hand and match one for a old ford 1/2 ton the parts guy had him phone me while he was there to ask what year of ford he should look up. Jeesh!!
Old 05-29-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Maybe a hydraulic shop could source him something similar that will work? Problem now a days is parts guys can’t think beyond what the application is or what’s not on the computer screen.
I had a buddy needed a new starter solenoid for his Johnson outboard so I told him go to Canadian tire with part in hand and match one for a old ford 1/2 ton the parts guy had him phone me while he was there to ask what year of ford he should look up. Jeesh!!
Ford had the best starter set up with the separate solenoid. I've converted other set ups to a ford style just because its on equipment thats sitting outside and the solenoids tend to age out and it just makes it quicker and cheaper to change them out. Haha my son tells me the new fords don't have an external separate solenoid anymore?
Anyway I hear you about part guys. The standard reply I get is you realize this truck was made before I was born.
I never worked on hydrostatic.
The stuff I have that would be hydrostatic if it was newer example swather. Well my swather is so old it still uses clutches on each wheel to steer.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:29 PM

Any Rad shop worth it's salt should be able to re-core the Rad.....

The one in town (Westlock) I'm sure can do this.....
Old 05-29-2020, 05:56 PM

I used to own one of these Bobcats (473) and parts are either OEM $$$$ or you can find them online ...... but Check the serial number range but this is likely the part number 6564086 - see if there is a part number on the cooler - take note of the port locations and size and the bracket (although you can mess with the bracket if needed.

Some of those models also had Kubota engines for a short period if I'm not mistaken - so that's another thing to research.

Also take measurements of the cooler .........

https://www.bobcatpartsonline.com/#/...%20%26%20Above)

Something like this ...... this brand is decent .......and price is good

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CJ6IZ3C...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 05-29-2020, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the tip, yes this one has a little 3 cylinder Kubota diesel. We bought it New in about 2001 or 2002?

Most parts guys blow my mind anymore, beyond useless.

“Hey man I need a windshield wiper motor for my F150”

“Ok, is it 2 or 4wd?” “What engine does it have?”

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

I even went to get a rear driveshaft Ujoint for my 2500 Ram. Parts guys refused to give me one because I didn’t have the VIN# with me even though I had the old ujoint and the entire driveshaft with me. 🙄 Wouldn’t let me match them up at all.

Went to Canadian Tire and was in and on 5 minutes by just having them bring the two possible part numbers and matching up the cup sizes.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, yes this one has a little 3 cylinder Kubota diesel. We bought it New in about 2001 or 2002?

Most parts guys blow my mind anymore, beyond useless.

“Hey man I need a windshield wiper motor for my F150”

“Ok, is it 2 or 4wd?” “What engine does it have?”

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

I even went to get a rear driveshaft Ujoint for my 2500 Ram. Parts guys refused to give me one because I didn’t have the VIN# with me even though I had the old ujoint and the entire driveshaft with me. 🙄 Wouldn’t let me match them up at all.

Went to Canadian Tire and was in and on 5 minutes by just having them bring the two possible part numbers and matching up the cup sizes.
The ones with the Kubota engines are the pinnacle of Bobcat's quality machines - those engines are excellent. There will be a Kubota parts # (also can check Teguchi? Yanmar? sp?) as I think some of their units had the same engines which should bolt up on the same bracket. I'm pretty sure that's were I found some of my parts for a similar machine.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:59 PM

You think on a hydraulic oil cooler it would be a Kubota part vs a Bobcat part? I have no idea, I looked at that Bobcat parts link you posted but I’m unsure of the serial number of the machine.

They are great little machines, that thing has seen serious abuse really, pushed far beyond its rated 700 lb capacity haha. In barns they are simply amazing, out in the open where you can use “real equipment” it seems like such a toy, haha. But in tight places cleaning out small pens, feeding etc etc they are magnificent and sure miles ahead of a fork and a wheel barrow.

The only complaint I really have ever had with the thing is the wheels are much too light. They are just a light stamped wheel and those things are often getting flats. Wheels are easily wrecked. I’d go for semi pneumatic or foam filled tires if I had the chance I think.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Yes it’s a hydraulic oil cooler.

A Bobcat needs a hydraulic oil cooler because the entire machine is hydrostatic driven. It’s not just as simple as a power steering or engine oil cooler and is likely to run substantially higher oil pressures. (Although I don’t know what that pressure is and Bobcat couldn’t tell him)
The pressure won’t be overly high as it will be on the return side to tank. It will see no more pressure than your hydraulic filter. Like I said a good hydraulic shop should be able to help you out. Not sure where you are located but a place like Iroc Hydraulics in spruce grove will take the time to help. Hell, even princess auto could help you out probably.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
You think on a hydraulic oil cooler it would be a Kubota part vs a Bobcat part? I have no idea, I looked at that Bobcat parts link you posted but I’m unsure of the serial number of the machine.

They are great little machines, that thing has seen serious abuse really, pushed far beyond its rated 700 lb capacity haha. In barns they are simply amazing, out in the open where you can use “real equipment” it seems like such a toy, haha. But in tight places cleaning out small pens, feeding etc etc they are magnificent and sure miles ahead of a fork and a wheel barrow.

The only complaint I really have ever had with the thing is the wheels are much too light. They are just a light stamped wheel and those things are often getting flats. Wheels are easily wrecked. I’d go for semi pneumatic or foam filled tires if I had the chance I think.
These are likely manufactured by a third party, I have never seen an OEM make parts like these - so it's likely available under either machine to search it. Quick easy and painless to install IF you confirm part number off the item.

port sizes/fitting/location and size of unit will get you there if you don't have that - the bolt up can be an easy quick garage fab fix if needed - these are not "high pressure rocket" parts. I'm not ashamed to say I ordered the wrong parts like these before and just McGyvered them and they were just fine.

But as others have mentioned might be a trip to a rad shop - depending on what price you get - but if you can get one amazoned for a few hundred bucks - I'd do that - way easier.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:18 AM

I dont want to derail this thread but easy on the parts people . I remember the days when you could walk in and they could find what you needed just by you describing the piece , but back then , there were a lot less parts . At one time i had a car , truck , and motorhome all with the same engine and all different years . Today , my trucks engine was changed mid year and so parts that fit my engine may not fit on the same size engine from the same vehicle of the same year . Trust me , i know the aggravation , but they are trained to chase down numbers , not identify parts .
Old 05-31-2020, 05:26 PM

He took it to multiple rad shops as well as hydraulic shops, different machinery dealers etc. They all said they wouldn’t touch it and couldn’t build anything like that. They said rads no problem, build you one today but not a hydraulic oil cooler. He finally found one shop that would weld on the old one over the weekend, guy said he pressured it with 80 psi of air and it held over night. Hopefully he can get it back together tomorrow and see if it is going to work.

The one from the link on Amazon is quite a bit different. Hopefully the repair lasts for a while until a proper replacement can be sourced.

The guy also only charged $40 for the repair.