It ain't Alberta, but they've got lots of good hunting too:

https://ca.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=083...QgtOjXYlfyvjJ0

Chief Firearms Officer - EXE000957

Employment Type: Permanent Full-time

Location(s): SK-Regina and Area-Regina

Ministry: 073 Corrections and Policing

Salary Range: $8,199 - $10,657 Monthly

Grade: MCP.09.

The Policing and Community Safety Services division within the Ministry of Corrections and Policing is seeking a talented individual with proven leadership skills for the position of Chief Firearms Officer. This position is responsible for administering the federal Firearms Act in the province and has jurisdiction over the licensing, transporting and carrying of firearms, and the licensing of instructors who deliver firearms safety courses in the province.

Reporting to the Assistant Deputy Minister of Policing and Community Safety Services, you will lead a team of professionals engaged in the provision of the Canadian Firearms Program for the Province of Saskatchewan and will be a strong and influential leader with outstanding communication and analytical skills, and strategic planning and visioning processes.

To be successful in this position, you will have knowledge of the Firearms Act and Regulations with emphasis related to licensing of firearms for purposes of ownership, transportation and transfer. In addition, you will have a history of accomplishments achieved through effective leadership and success in developing partnerships in complex environments. You will have exceptional interpersonal skills, communicate transparently and fairly, and be flexible in your approaches and solutions in order to:
•Analyze and review past and current practices and policies;
•Plan and conduct information gathering sessions with key stakeholders and agencies;
•Problem solve and critique processes, make decisions, and implement processes and practices;
•Align policies, procedures, and services to objectives and goals, and set service criteria and objectives;
•Communicate, mediate, debate and negotiate;
•Lead a team of professionals; and
•Operate a unit (budget, employees, capital).

Our candidate of choice will be an accountable and results-orientated leader that efficiently meets multiple demands and exercises sound judgment in a continuously-changing environment. You will have excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills to assist in developing and maintaining professional relationships with senior managers and staff. You will also have experience and working knowledge in the following areas:
•Program evaluation, design, development and delivery;
•Public policy analysis, operational policy and standards development;
•Human Resource management (lead, performance management, hire);
•Strategic planning, change management and budget development;
•Firearm laws and regulations: Firearms Act, Criminal Code, and other statutes;
•Firearm classifications, action types, safety, verification, operation and activities (recreational/occupational);
•Multi-cultural perspectives, challenges and opportunities (First Nations and Metis);
• Firearms including applicable laws and regulations related to firearms and the ability to articulate your knowledge and skills to successfully work with the firearm community, firearm sporting organizations, and other stakeholders; and
• Apply your own personal experiences related to the technical aspects of firearms including personal use in a variety of circumstances such as occupational or recreational activities.

Typically, the knowledge and skills required for this position would be obtained through a Bachelor’s degree or college diploma in police science, criminal justice, public administration or a related field combined with extensive and progressive experience in policing, police management and senior police executive roles.

The successful applicant will be required to have a Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) prior to assuming the position of Chief Firearms Officer.

We offer:
•Dynamic, challenging work;
•A competitive salary;
•Comprehensive benefits package including pension;
•Vacation, scheduled days off (SDO) and other types of leave;
•Inclusive work environments;
•Advancement opportunities; and
•Flexible work arrangements.

We are committed to workplace diversity.

Hours of Work: M - Monthly Out of Scope

Number of Openings: 1
Old 05-28-2020, 11:07 PM

Easy Caber. I believe we need 'Stuff kept right here in Ab. As i posted on an earlier thread somewhere, i'd actually pay to work under Huntin' in his role as justice minister or something along those lines. He comes across ( to me anyways) as a realistic, no BS, old school, COMMON SENSE, kinda dude. There are others on here very similar but i do like his humour and sensible posts. At least get him a job here...
Old 05-28-2020, 11:08 PM

For the successful applicant, I've compiled an essential toolkit of pretty much all you'll need save for the few previously-convicted individuals you might deal with:

Sadly the pay might not be super attractive for some, but what does a decent house cost around there?
Old 05-28-2020, 11:35 PM

I like that nowhere in that listing is the acronym "RCMP" mentioned...

Quote:
Reporting to the Assistant Deputy Minister of Policing and Community Safety Services
I was under the impression all CFO's were employed under the RCMP umbrella.

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 05-28-2020 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Sadly the pay might not be super attractive for some, but what does a decent house cost around there?
Who (in their right mind) would scoff at $100-$120k a year ?

Anyone that's qualified would likely consider the posting "a cake walk" in terms of job difficulty versus rate of pay.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:22 AM

Anyone who thinks this job is a cakewalk has zero experience working in a regulatory environment.
The guy who does this job well will earn his pay.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Anyone who thinks this job is a cakewalk has zero experience working in a regulatory environment.
The guy who does this job well will earn his pay.
I can only imagine the red tape and high level of BS involved in this!
Cat
Old 05-29-2020, 09:11 AM

Not just red tape but real problems of firearms use and community relations.trying to balance Provincial and Federal priorities, dealing with variability of human behaviour, individual and collective, assessing risk vs. resources in support people, the who actually do the job on the ground.
How would you like to be the guy on the front line approving or denying licences, knowing that if things go bad, your judgement will be questioned?
Old 05-29-2020, 09:12 AM

The job, while hired out to any qualified person as determined by the govt of SK, remains to be the administrating the federal Firearms Act. Having your own guy in this job doesn't necessarily mean it will improve relations with firearms owners. The guy getting this job doesn't have a lot of leeway.....a guy with a personal agenda of empathizing with firearms owners won't get the job. A guy with a personal agenda, that somehow lands the job, will soon learn that he is the new enemy of firearms owners, not a new friend. I wouldn't want any of my friends to have this job

I could be way off the mark but that is how I see it.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:45 AM

Lol

It would.cut into my AO time, and no amount of $ is worth that.....
Old 05-29-2020, 09:51 AM

To be honest, I wouldn’t wish a government bureaucracy job on anyone I like, it would just be nice to have someone ‘on our team’ in such positions.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:54 AM

Having dealt with Transport of Dangerous Goods, Explosives Regulation, Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, and Health and Safety regimes in my former career, the best you can hope for is a person who helps you understand how to comply with the legislation and regulations.
More recently our club had a go round with range licence renewal.
Sympathy doesn't apply here. There is very little discretion.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Who (in their right mind) would scoff at $100-$120k a year ?

Anyone that's qualified would likely consider the posting "a cake walk" in terms of job difficulty versus rate of pay.
That job should be well over 180K