Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-10-2012, 04:02 PM

I love that Otter set...has to work. Ever get any curious beavers sticking there heads in the crate?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 PM

I'm at 30 marten and a cross fox. Slowed down last few days for sure. I"ve started putting out lynx and wolf sets this week.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 AM

Default Trapping Pictures

-Picture of my daughter and a nice fox
-Dad and a marten
-Marten hanging high and free of tree (follow up to this topic) Use nailed on stick etc to ensure
- Coyote trapping
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ava and Fox.jpg (118.3 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg Coyote Dbl.jpg (104.0 KB, 446 views)
File Type: jpg Coyote, Coulee.jpg (63.0 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg Dad with marten.jpg (109.6 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg Donahue set.jpg (110.0 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg mid dec marten hanging.jpg (88.9 KB, 414 views)
Old 12-16-2012, 09:57 PM

Nice pics Gary. I see that snow hasn't slowed down your coyote sets. very nice.
Your Dad looks pumped to be on the line, with a marten to boot.

I got a gift this week. Some hunters dumped some hides, heads, and scraps way out on my line. The wolves came in a few days ago and really scent posted the area up as my dog Nikki had already done her part. I put out 6 footholds yesterday so I'm hoping to connect. here's a finished set
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pee post 2.jpg (47.3 KB, 356 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
Thats what I hear. Apparently you can't sell the line but you can sell the stuff (gear,cabin) that is on the line and transfer the right's.

Can you use the cabin outside of trapping season?

Say, You wanted to spend a week bowhunting at the end of August, Could you stay in the cabin for the week and use that as your base of operandi? I did hear that it was "illegal" or frowned upon to do that.

I know trapping is not overly profitable but I would like to do it for the experience, and the simple enjoyment of the outdoors.

Would also be nice to have a nice little get away in the middle of nowhere to go and relax.
Sometimes the best time of the year to maintain your line (ie. cutting back brush etc.) is end of August or September its not that hot out for a person to work. You may also want to do any upgrades to your cabin or skinning shack if it is accessible. And who wouldn't go hunting if you were at your cabin doing upkeep if its during the hunting season.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 PM

Snared up that nice Yote today.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 AM

Default 2012 trapping

23 coyotes 1 red fox
Old 12-20-2012, 10:13 AM

Sundays check produced the first Lynx of the season. Nice 27 pound Tom that stretched to 38 inches on the board. He managed to duck a couple of snare around the pen to gain access but then got suitcased in a 330. Yesterday I finally got the first marten of the season finally. Nice big dark male whos tracks I set on Sunday. Due to the snow I must have caught him day I set. think the biggest problem I am having is the real cold weather we are having. I'm using marten magic but think it's just too cold for them to smell. Pulled some sets on Sunday and saw a couple of marten tracks run right by at 6 feet. Maybe they were upwind but thinking the cold is killing the scent. Anyone have a better cold weather lure?
Here is pics of the cat and the mink I got that has some cool chest markings.

Last edited by bullgetter; 12-20-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:25 PM

Neat colours on the mink. Snared a lynx today and caught coyote at wolf sets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lynx snared Dec 20 12 .jpg (52.7 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg Coyote Wolf bait .jpg (69.8 KB, 308 views)
Old 12-21-2012, 07:45 AM

Default A few more pictures

3 Pictures of Lynx catches. All large toms thus far this year. Good for average

Scent post with Lynx tracks, wolf trap didnt trip which is good.. tension and big lynx feet / weight distribution worked as paw prints were right on pan

Double on Flying Squirrel. Interestingly these are the only 2 caught this year. Most years they are not uncommon

Female adult wolf

Surprises this year: Lack of coyotes in most areas. Lack of Fisher on trapline as varying hare population is high. Good population increase on marten on trapline.. lots of big males. More ermine then most years on line. Lower fox then expected around Red Deer

Well, it is time to board a couple of Lynx and scrape a few rats. Hope everyone is having a good trapping year... great to see this province produce more fur again... keep the fur industry relevant. Really good to see our D Valley ATA membership "younging down" . The local sponsored 5 youth/young men at the last ATA trapping course put on by AJ... and 4 showed up at the next local meeting. Other new members joining steadily as well. Good stuff!

992 rats
9 Beaver
45 Coyote
7 Fox
4 Lynx
1 Fisher
1 wolf
46 Marten
About 15 ermine?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wolf.jpg (59.7 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg Fly squirrel x 2.jpg (73.5 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg Lynx 1.jpg (89.6 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg Lynx 2.jpg (91.3 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg Lynx 3.jpg (85.0 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg scent post.jpg (39.5 KB, 391 views)
Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Godberson View Post
3 Pictures of Lynx catches. All large toms thus far this year. Good for average

Scent post with Lynx tracks, wolf trap didnt trip which is good.. tension and big lynx feet / weight distribution worked as paw prints were right on pan

Double on Flying Squirrel. Interestingly these are the only 2 caught this year. Most years they are not uncommon

Female adult wolf

Surprises this year: Lack of coyotes in most areas. Lack of Fisher on trapline as varying hare population is high. Good population increase on marten on trapline.. lots of big males. More ermine then most years on line. Lower fox then expected around Red Deer

Well, it is time to board a couple of Lynx and scrape a few rats. Hope everyone is having a good trapping year... great to see this province produce more fur again... keep the fur industry relevant. Really good to see our D Valley ATA membership "younging down" . The local sponsored 5 youth/young men at the last ATA trapping course put on by AJ... and 4 showed up at the next local meeting. Other new members joining steadily as well. Good stuff!

992 rats
9 Beaver
45 Coyote
7 Fox
4 Lynx
1 Fisher
1 wolf
46 Marten
About 15 ermine?
Awesome job! I would love to put up numbers like that. You must skin full time.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 AM

Gary I owe you a coyote. When I put my wolf sets out I thought to myself i'm going to put one of those mouse holes in like Gary did. Pulled the coyote right in! Not a wolf but they're next I hope. great post thanks for update
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coyote Wolf bait .jpg (69.8 KB, 284 views)
Old 12-21-2012, 07:40 PM

Mouse hole?? Tell me more!!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:02 PM

So far this season:
10 coyotes
2 weasels
2 beaver

I'll post some pics as soon as I take some!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 AM

Took my 12 yearold niece for her first time trapping Christmas eve. Managed to pull a marten and had a lynx duck a snare on me to live another day. The cool thing that happened was she was lucky enough to be with me to drag out a nice black female wolf guessing about 70-80 lbs. Awesome coat on her too! Three days before I set out 3 snares on a trail that wolves had been using to cross the road. Knew if I didn't set for them I would never catch one. Maybe the other 2 will connect.
Checked part of the line yesterday and saw where it appears another ghost lynx walked right through a snare. Thinking I need to use bigger chin lifts.

2012-2013 season
Lynx 2
Marten 2
Weasel 3
Squirrel 1
Mink 1
Wolf 1
Old 12-28-2012, 09:16 AM

thanks folks for posting your stuff .. i love this thread!!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:44 AM

Default Catch from before Christmas.

I headed out on the line alone on the weekend before christmas, temps were hovering around -26C. Picked up one Lynx in a snare set on the trail, and 4 Marten. Made good time and arrived at the line cabin on the far end of the line by 3:30 pm, as temps were dropping further. 65km from my truck and a 6 hour ride. Was a beautiful night with the moon shining and the glow from the oil burning lamp shining out the front window.

Next morning was mighty chilly inside, the wood stove embers had died away.
Got a good fire going and bacon and coffee going on the stove and by the time it was light out, I was ready to explore some new country.

Temp was -28C as I headed out breaking trail across the unbroken snow with only marten tracks breaking the untouched wilderness. I had not taken any spare boxes along and seeing far to many tracks too just pass on by, fired up the Husky and carved out a few cubbies and set 120's to gaurd them.
Managed to make a loop, which was a relief as my fuel was starting to run low.

Headed back to the cabin for lunch, and was ready to head out finishing the second half of the 20mile loop I did the day before. Picked up 2 more marten on the way and cut so more trail on an over grown line that could cut 17km off our route once it was opened up. With close to 3' of powder it's hard work.

Arrived back at the main cabin by 5:00pm, thermometer read -33C.
Quickly refueled, and considered setting a couple snare for Lynx, but it was just to cold and I still had close to 30km to go. Ducking behind the windshield and going slow as the wind chill was extreme the faster I went.
Gave me lots of time to ponder exactly what i would do if the well used motor would stumble and die.
The Tundra proved true and I arrived at my truck by 7:00pm.
Cranked it over and she fired right up, sigh of relief...

My partner, 357xp is heading out today, hope he is dressed warm.

2012-current

34 Marten
2 Lynx
3 Fisher
20+ Weasel
Enough Squirrels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_1img_0941.jpg (48.5 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0934.jpg (102.2 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0943.jpg (83.2 KB, 324 views)
Old 12-28-2012, 11:58 AM

great pics and story jim!!

like the cubby in tree. a tree that size, you may want too fall the tree above the cubby, so it doesn't break and fall over. does that make any sense??

did your trail lynx set work yet?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:13 PM

Braggadoe, I cut the tree just up, out the pic, biggest tree right there.
Bit small, but barely works. Think i'm going to make more, now that we have a better understanding of where the marten are.

On the trail set, my partner is out there today, see what he brings back.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:34 PM

Default on the line......

Made it to the line cabin, -21 here, not to bad for cold. Picked up 3 lynx today, all snared, one of em chewed on by another lynx, not to impressed with that but whataya do? Anyway, gonna finish my tea, and see if my deer sausage and spuds are done cookin........

Stump set made by jim-summit, very nice catch. 5 feet from cabin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stump%20set.jpg (69.9 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg lynx%20%231.jpg (106.7 KB, 313 views)
Old 12-31-2012, 06:14 AM

Snared this one yesterday. Young coyote, lots of burrs in the creek area I'm snaring in.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:44 PM

Snared this yote today. And the set I used to get it. Lots of burrs in the fur in the creek I'm snaring in.

Dead very quick in the Senneker Alberta power snare. No struggle area. Got caught, tightened up the snare and extension, the trigger went off, and it died very fast. Away from the bottleneck and it was a quick reset.

I'm just learning this year. It's been alot of fun so far. Wish there was more yotes around. Nothing like what I saw last year. My 3 and 5 year old daughters love coming out with Dad to check the snares.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 AM

Default 2012-2013

Looks like the fur has started to move some. Picked up some more cats and another black wolf. Caught a fisher in a 120 marten box only to have a cougar come along and eat everything but the head in the trap! Guess I'll get the $5 for the skull from the government. Almost at my Lynx quota (2 lines 5 on each line) so will start pulling sets soon. Hoping more wolves show up.
Some pics

First black wolf female

Snared Lynx Double

Second Black Wolf Male

Second snared Lynx double

Yesterdays days end catch
Old 01-03-2013, 01:46 PM

Well jimsummit is taking me out to his line tommorow morning. Will be my first time out on a "real" trap line. Gonna spend the night in that little log cabin. And somewhere in between sleeping and eating we're gonna put 160 Kms on our sleds. Sounds like a mighty long way to me but he tells me it's not so bad.... I'll keep you guys posted
Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1997 View Post
Well jimsummit is taking me out to his line tommorow morning. Will be my first time out on a "real" trap line. Gonna spend the night in that little log cabin. And somewhere in between sleeping and eating we're gonna put 160 Kms on our sleds. Sounds like a mighty long way to me but he tells me it's not so bad.... I'll keep you guys posted
Waitin for an update boys, dont worry about the mice turds in the cabin mxz, they only come out when ure sleepin hope ure havin a good time!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 PM

Well we're out here in the log cabin. Put 85 Kms on my little Tundra and I must say it feels a bit far. About 70 km from the pickup to the cabin. Left the truck at 9:30 am and got to the north cabin about 10:45. Picked up one Marten along that stretch. Then the long haul to the South cabin were the trail is about 34 inches wide and my sled is 32. After a whole lotta bumps and curves in the trail we picked up a nice Lynx. Then some more hills and snow and some more snow and we found a another lynx in the snare. This one was very young, from spring. Shortly thereafter we picked up our third Lynx, a nice big one in a nice set made by 357xp. Around 4:30 we got to the cabin and left the sleighs there. Checked another 7 mile loop and picked up our second Marten. Now it's time to round up some supper and skin one of the Lynx. It wasn't frozen yet so well just skin it right away. Only -8 outside. Havin a lotta fun!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:23 PM

3 Link?! Ye ha! Wish I were there, got a lynx to skin tonite as well. Iam suprised j-summit has let u shut down
This early,

P.s summit never looks at the time once he is on the line
Old 01-06-2013, 12:39 PM

On with the story...
Saturday morning, after a big breakfast we headed out to check a loop and also try and find a small lake on the south end. We found the lake but in the places we checked there was only 6ft of water so our hopes of finding fish were subdued. Checked the rest of the 34 km loop and picked up 2 more marten. Stopped in at the cabin to get all our stuff, have lunch, and then make the trip back out. Left the South cabin about 3:00. On the way back we got two more marten. Also put up a bunch more Lynx snares. We arrived at the North cabin at 6:00 and had supper there. Fresh Fisher tracks around the cabin so we put up a set. After that it was another 29 km's and we were back to the pickup. All together we had put on 175 km's. 3 Lynx, 6 Marten, a bunch of weasel and even two gray jays that had tried to steal the bait. Was a long trip but all in all it was a lot of fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (47.4 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpeg image (1).jpeg (26.5 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpeg image (2).jpeg (34.0 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpeg image (3).jpeg (30.2 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpeg image (4).jpeg (42.5 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpeg image (5).jpeg (37.7 KB, 211 views)
Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Dropped my fur off today at the Alberta Trappers' Association Fur Depot. My hat is off to AJ Callbeck, Gary Godberson, Travis Jaburek and the others who are working so tirelessly to get our furs shipped. Apparently the boys only got two hours of sleep last night.

For me so far, to date: 8 marten, 2 lynx, 2 mink, 2 Beaver, 13 ermine, 6 squirrels

Old 01-07-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
Dropped my fur off today at the Alberta Trappers' Association Fur Depot. My hat is off to AJ Callbeck, Gary Godberson, Travis Jaburek and the others who are working so tirelessly to get our furs shipped. Apparently the boys only got two hours of sleep last night.

For me so far, to date: 8 marten, 2 lynx, 2 mink, 2 Beaver, 13 ermine, 6 squirrels

x2

Way to go guys at the ATA. Dropped mine last little amount off today as well.
Good to see some guys with 100 yotes.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.