Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 04:54 PM

Maybe if sheep are on such a drastic decline, there should be a one time kill and never again. Once you shoot a ram that's it for life! I don't believe for one minute that wolves are the downfall of the sheep! Admittidly I have never sheep hunted yet. I will one day! Also if sheep are in such a decline maybe they should eliminate all out of province and out of country tags! I can't afford a $20k guided sheep hunt, but I also don't think we should be allowing non residents to hunt our game species when our own locals can't even draw a tag! Why is it sheep outfitters get the ability to capitalize on a provincial resource . This goes with moose hunting as well.

A lot of time and effort goes into trapping. We have quotas but are not mandated to any particular species. 4+ hrs to skin a wolf plus countless hrs maintains bait stations for an animal that's fur may get you $250 if your lucky!! Not my main concern. I would much rather target lynx and marten. 2 marten will take me 20 min to skin and board and I will get as much for them as 1 wolf!

Most trappers will not bust their asses to make sure sheep guides have a means of income!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-10-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Not hard to determine how many wolves in an area without actually seeing the wolves themselves or being presented with an opportunity to harvest many!
And yep cats do take a few but cats don't run in packs and the same area that will hold 20 wolves will only carry a couple cats so that's pretty simple math on what affects populations more.

And as far as cats go hunter are pretty much doing 100% of what they can on that front.
So, how many wolves do you have under your belt, Darcy ?

Grizz
Old 10-10-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Not hard to determine how many wolves in an area without actually seeing the wolves themselves or being presented with an opportunity to harvest many!
And yep cats do take a few but cats don't run in packs and the same area that will hold 20 wolves will only carry a couple cats so that's pretty simple math on what affects populations more.

And as far as cats go hunter are pretty much doing 100% of what they can on that front.
Holy crap!! You are a regular "Hinterland Whos Who". You have the answers for everything from Trappers not pulling there weight, to how many wolves live in a certain area. Maybe you should change your name from Sheepguide to Google.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
Holy crap!! You are a regular "Hinterland Whos Who". You have the answers for everything from Trappers not pulling there weight, to how many wolves live in a certain area. Maybe you should change your name from Sheepguide to Google.
I cannot believe the disrespect sheepguide has for members on this forum. He made me so p-d off that I even made posts that should not even be on this Forum and I am not proud I fed into his sureal BS. I'm not feeding his BS anymore and I hope others follow. He seems to thrive on conflict, and BS....my vote is to get rid of him AGAIN!!

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 10-10-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
I cannot believe the disrespect this idiot ("sheepguide") has for members on this forum. He made me so p-d off that I even made posts that should not even be on this Forum and I am not proud I fed into his sureal BS. I'm not feeding his BS anymore and I hope others follow. He seems to thrive on conflict, and BS....my vote is to get rid of him AGAIN!!
Thanks for contributing to the topic. There is a little exclamation mark upper right corner if you choose to report my posts to the mods.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
Bugs you not to discrediting me?? Post up some info if what I have posted is inaccurate as id gladly learn from more if I am. But to show your softer side by resorting to this doesn't really prove to much. Am I wrong on wolf numbers? Are trappers doing the best they can to utilize their lines? You sure as heck haven't posted any thing to show what trappers or wolf populations are like or any real info for that matter so who are you to bash any info others put. Like I said if im out to lunch on my info a well educated man such as yourself should have no problem is showing the AO members how things really are. So I await your knowledgeable response even though that could take a while.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Banned

It's time to suck it up Princess and move on. It is what it is..and you are, who you are..
Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
It's time to suck it up Princess and move on. It is what it is..and you are, who you are..
Maybe trappers should post up there statistics per line?? That would show us knowledgeable hunter how hard they actually do work! Some will prove the trap others will look like fools. There must be accounted numbers for all furs brought in is there not? If im so wrong on trappers in general then why don't you trappers show the public what you do? Why do you get so offended if someone doesn't see what you see in all the hard work you do??

Instead its "lets hurry and get this topic out of the way"!!!

Trappers utilizing their lines is a huge issue where I live and trappers on here have even stated the same so why because I say it am I the troubkle maker and bad guy!! Maybe trappers should stand up and have to show what they do!! They can sell the lines for well over $100,000 for personal gain so maybe they should be accountable for how they use the public land for their personal benefit when no one else can!!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:56 PM

ok maybe im stupid ok lets face it im stupid but why do you have to have access to the the back lands to hunt wolves im pretty sure there are wolves other places and if they are hunted there then they cant move back in to the sheep area because if I remember my nature of things dead animals don't reproduce so if they are killed where you can kill that still reduces the population and that got to be a help
Old 10-10-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Maybe trappers should post up there statistics per line?? That would show us knowledgeable hunter how hard they actually do work! Some will prove the trap others will look like fools. There must be accounted numbers for all furs brought in is there not? If im so wrong on trappers in general then why don't you trappers show the public what you do? Why do you get so offended if someone doesn't see what you see in all the hard work you do??

Instead its "lets hurry and get this topic out of the way"!!!

Trappers utilizing their lines is a huge issue where I live and trappers on here have even stated the same so why because I say it am I the troubkle maker and bad guy!! Maybe trappers should stand up and have to show what they do!! They can sell the lines for well over $100,000 for personal gain so maybe they should be accountable for how they use the public land for their personal benefit when no one else can!!
Wow!!!! What started as a thread on the sheep situation in a particular WMU has degenerated into what seems like a personal vendetta against trappers. How did that happen? Things sure get derailed quick on here! As for trappers making their harvest public info...what would that accomplish? Self-professed knowlegable hunters like yourself would still make assumptions on matters you don't really understand. For example, one year I had a large pack of wolves on my trapline, trapped hard and got 10. The very next year still showed good numbers of these alpha predators...I put in apprxly. the same amount of time and effort and took 4. From an uninformed perspective, it might appear less effort was put in the 2nd year but that was not the case. The following year, due to wolves nomadic nature, they were gone off my trapline...saw one track and got that one wolf. Based on my trapline report for that year, some would assume I was absolutely "not pulling my weight" and being less pro-active towards managing wolves...but I did manage to harvest a few more on private land, which I believe were from that same group. And I assure you I worked equally hard each of those years but that would not be shown by harvest numbers for my RFMA. Posting harvest numbers for the general public or even "knowledgable hunters" would accomplish nothing more than give coffee room (or forum thread) fodder for those who believe the are the "encyclopedia of everything outdoors and know what's best for the wildlife situation".
Old 10-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbuck View Post
Wow!!!! What started as a thread on the sheep situation in a particular WMU has degenerated into what seems like a personal vendetta against trappers. How did that happen? Things sure get derailed quick on here! As for trappers making their harvest public info...what would that accomplish? Self-professed knowlegable hunters like yourself would still make assumptions on matters you don't really understand. For example, one year I had a large pack of wolves on my trapline, trapped hard and got 10. The very next year still showed good numbers of these alpha predators...I put in apprxly. the same amount of time and effort and took 4. From an uninformed perspective, it might appear less effort was put in the 2nd year but that was not the case. The following year, due to wolves nomadic nature, they were gone off my trapline...saw one track and got that one wolf. Based on my trapline report for that year, some would assume I was absolutely "not pulling my weight" and being less pro-active towards managing wolves...but I did manage to harvest a few more on private land, which I believe were from that same group. And I assure you I worked equally hard each of those years but that would not be shown by harvest numbers for my RFMA. Posting harvest numbers for the general public or even "knowledgable hunters" would accomplish nothing more than give coffee room (or forum thread) fodder for those who believe the are the "encyclopedia of everything outdoors and know what's best for the wildlife situation".
Wasn't referring to strictly wolf harvests but if trappers had to show what they produce over all species it would make public the bad apples that dont use their lines for anything more than a holiday spot!

It was simply an idea for helping weed out the guys that do nothing.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:13 PM

We trappers do have to claim or line catch . Every year before registering. So there it is smart guy, use the freedom of Info and do your own homework. Do you make public knowledge every animal you harvest. Are you required to submit season reports? Are you audited every 5 years to ensure you are harvesting?? NO! We are back off, you may know a thing or 2 on sheep hunting but squat about trapping. If the sheep are in decline, take a year or 2 off!
Now go back to the hunting forum and annoy them for a while!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-10-2013, 08:14 PM

Ok, so now I am starting to follow your line of thought...I think. So, after all the negative comments you made about trappers and some disrespectful comments to some trappers on this forum...what you are really saying is you don't have a problem with trappers... but with NON-TRAPPERS!!!!!!!
That is correct isn't it?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbuck View Post
Ok, so now I am starting to follow your line of thought...I think. So, after all the negative comments you made about trappers and some disrespectful comments to some trappers on this forum...what you are really saying is you don't have a problem with trappers... but with NON-TRAPPERS!!!!!!!
That is correct isn't it?
More with NON TRAPPING TRAPPERS.

And I understand trappers not feeling they should be required to trap wolves but it should maybe be in situations of high populations that there is ways others can more redily access these lines for population control purposes.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Called sitting at work bud!! If I could be outside instead of stuck on a bombing range that has had zero hunting in 50+ years babysitting a drilling rig I would be!! Week to go and ill be out there!!
YOU are babysitting a drilling rig..LOL...what now you are the drilling foreman??
Old 10-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
We trappers do have to claim or line catch . Every year before registering. So there it is smart guy, use the freedom of Info and do your own homework. Do you make public knowledge every animal you harvest. Are you required to submit season reports? Are you audited every 5 years to ensure you are harvesting?? NO! We are back off, you may know a thing or 2 on sheep hunting but squat about trapping. If the sheep are in decline, take a year or 2 off!
Now go back to the hunting forum and annoy them for a while!

Just shows how much this buffoon knows about trapping. The harvest affadavid is completed prior to registering a line for the next year. Keep insulting members and banging your head against the wall...when you quit it will feel better.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:53 PM

Default Buy a Trapline

Why don't you go buy one of those big traplines west of Nordegg or Sundre that are up for sale right now ??? Be part of the solution and show the other trappers your devotion to thinning out the wolf packs in your area
Old 10-10-2013, 09:32 PM

The only thing that would really put a huge dent in wolf numbers would be to poison them province wide over a number of years or have game numbers drop so low they starve out. Look back at the history of the wolf in the states. That's how they got rid of them. Hunting and trapping can only do so much.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
YOU are babysitting a drilling rig..LOL...what now you are the drilling foreman??
Well as a matter of fact the fluid system of the rig I actually am. And that a fairly tough part to go with out in a well. And they pay me pretty good to stay here so I guess they feel im needed. But hey I'm sure you have another non topic related post to share!

Couldn't get a rise out of me by pm threats so had to come back here and continue it? Would love to see your actual knowledge on be topic being posted more so than the I hate sheepguide posts!

Last edited by sheepguide; 10-10-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Why don't you go buy one of those big traplines west of Nordegg or Sundre that are up for sale right now ??? Be part of the solution and show the other trappers your devotion to thinning out the wolf packs in your area
You gunna lend me a couple hundred grand??? Pretty rough to finance a trap line I'm sure.
If I could afford one I'd love too!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just shows how much this buffoon knows about trapping. The harvest affadavid is completed prior to registering a line for the next year. Keep insulting members and banging your head against the wall...when you quit it will feel better.
Well then let's see the numbers posted up! Where are they available? Not everyone is as knowledgeable as you so maybe help us out. Show me where the public can see these numbers. Ill await the link or posting of them as you must have them to be so outright in your comments.

Last edited by sheepguide; 10-10-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:24 PM

near the end of the trapping regs.

Last edited by Morbius131; 10-10-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
near the end of the trapping regs............do we have too spoon feed you???
So before you get all cocky and almighty maybe spoon feed the portion showing what came off what lines/RFMA?? I see province wide totals that show nothing on who is actually working their lines! All it shows is what was averaged province wide. So if half the provincial trappers busted their asses and half watch TV in their cabin then by you those TV watchers get credited with half the fur!

Numbers by registered lines would hang the holiday trappers out and show which trappers actually utilize their lines.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
near the end of the trapping regs.
Great edit!!!! But my quote caught your comments!!
Old 10-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Great edit!!!! But my quote caught your comments!!
Great catch.... but he didn't edit his post.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
You gunna lend me a couple hundred grand??? Pretty rough to finance a trap line I'm sure.
If I could afford one I'd love too!!!
I'm sorry, I misunderstood your comment about "babysitting a drilling rig". You should have clarified that you "babysit a couple centrifuges and a flock tank"

If you were actually "babysitting a drilling rig", you wouldn't need to borrow a couple hundred grand from me.

When I tell people "I'm out babysitting a rig" it's because I actually am. But I'm the Drilling and completions Supervisor.

You can see how people could get the wrong impression about your means to purchase said trapline.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I'm sorry, I misunderstood your comment about "babysitting a drilling rig". You should have clarified that you "babysit a couple centrifuges and a flock tank"

If you were actually "babysitting a drilling rig", you wouldn't need to borrow a couple hundred grand from me.

When I tell people "I'm out babysitting a rig" it's because I actually am. But I'm the Drilling and completions Supervisor.

You can see how people could get the wrong impression about your means to purchase said trapline.
Oh actually dont baby sit the centrifuges( we also have an onsite centrifuge hand that covers this) nor a floc tank which in our area is strictly for storing basically lateral liner displacement fluid. Our build floc water section in our Int. wells is floced right in the active mud tanks with polymer injection.

And pretty proud of your job title. Personally would hate to be tied to a phone with calgary and gladly choose the position im in. The extra $500/day approx that you get doesnt appeal to me for the added head aches and babysitting. And by many of the guys taking consulting jobs via strat programs these days its not the vastly experienced title that it once was back when I was roughnecking.
Like to see most of the guys sitting in these positions now drill a 6900m play in the Panther River area with the knowledge they carry. Be some scary watching!
Just like trapping, consulting there are some great knowledgeable guys out there then there is now a large numbers of guys just filling the roll being yes men phone jockeys for Calgary!!!

Pop me a PM anytime you wanna BS drilling. Just because one has drilling supervisor in there resume doesnt mean they are the only on with experience or most experience on the lease. You may have a ton of drilling knowledge but you may be surprised what others below you have as well

Last edited by sheepguide; 10-11-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Banned

Old 10-11-2013, 06:45 AM

I'll comment later on this , I'm too busy ,,,, gotta go check some traps! LOL
Old 10-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Banned

I asked in the trappers poll (general section) for SG to post his email to SRD regarding wolf issues. Then maybe we can understand some of his concerns on this subject. I believe it is the only post of mine he didn't reply to.

Doesn't seem to be posted yet. I think it would be an interesting read. The reply when it comes from "the select few" at SRD would be great to read as well.
Closed Thread