Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2017, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I'm pretty sure many of the guys on here have shot 10X more than most theives. Have handled guns 10X more and 10X longer. And have shot 20X more living things and 10X more moving things. (if you count gophers, make it 1000x)

That's live trigger, live action experience. After many years the shouldering, aiming, targeting, target following AND trigger pulling is almost instinctive. Same goes for loading, reloading, safety, etc.

Now as for handguns, most legal owners have gone to the range a lot....doubt a theif (with a record) is going to the range much.....more like playing thug with it in front of his buddies in his basement hole.

And probably his handgun training consists of canting it sideways in front of a mirror...and coming up with "Yo....motherxxxxer" witty one liners.

My bet is, when the chips are down, I'll bet on the 70yr old who's been to the range 100 to 1000x, who's hunted for years, and killed things versus some puke with an entitled to others stuff tough guy attutude.

And really.....who has more self-displine, the guy who works for a living or a theif that won't. So who has applied themselves, at the range, at the gym, at the martial arts, at dealing with the challenges of life. The reason the puke is a theif is mainly BECAUSE he lacks the ability to apply himself and the self displine.

My experience with these types, is they are the weakest opponent you will ever come across.
You watch at lot of TV .

Ive driven a car for 20 years...doesn't mean I can handle the track.

We're not talking about an animal 50 yards away.

we're talking about someone breaking into your home at 3 am.

a person.

No one is going to be prepared for that.

The ones on here that will
are the military and the law enforcement.

they are the ones who have the training and the experience of face to face situations.

Because they have faced the fight or flight.

you can sit here and argue as much as you can, for yourself or for the community.

But until it actually happens to you.
you won't know how you'll respond.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
You watch at lot of TV .

a person.

they are the ones who have the training and the experience of face to face situations.

you can sit here and argue as much as you can, for yourself or for the community.

Has it ever happened to you?
Old 06-25-2017, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Has it ever happened to you?
The 3 am home invasion has not.

Which is why I won't sit here behind a keyboard and screen and pump my chest that if a lowlife does enter at 3 am I know what I will do.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
The 3 am home invasion has not.

Which is why I won't sit here behind a keyboard and screen and pump my chest that if a lowlife does enter at 3 am I know what I will do.
Then you probably shouldn't tell people how they will react/handle the situation. After all, you have zero experience. Because YOU are unable to react to the situation in your own mind, does not mean others can't.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
You watch at lot of TV .

a person.

1) Funny thing is, I don't watch any TV....haven't for 20years.
2) Race track.....high performance situation....against higher training. Not a even close analogy. In fact the theif is like one walking on the track, might be a better analogy.
3) In fact a lot of people on here ARE prepared for the theif breaking in. In the old days, the farmer kept the gun loaded behind the bedroom door....and delt with whatever was lurking....around the cattle or the garage.
4) Like the long gone Fishgunner member, you place such a high premium on military or Leo training and discount the hands on years of experience of AO members.
5) You also cannot fathom that perhaps the members on here have more testosterone than you might be used to. Sure some might flight. But a bigger percentage will fight...and more so once your personal space and family's is threatened. In fact, the adrenine of the threat would make the homeowner much more dangerous than some slinking coyote of a theif.

6) lots of situation in life create a fight or flight situation....so I'm sure many of us know what our normal response is. (a guy starts something with you in the bar...what's your response...cower or push back...OR aggression)
You might flight.....actually sounds highly likely you normally do. Don't paint us all as the same Pxxsy!!! (hear that aggression in my tone??.....wanna guess what my reaction to a theif is going to be???)

7) And lastly, just cause we ARE discussing it, many DO know what their response will be....just contemplating the situation gives us a plan in mind......and most will conclude it involves a shovel....out of necessity of how stupid our legal system is.

8) You are right on one point...if we hurt the theif, he wins, and we lose big time. (Quite the statement of what our legal system has become!!) But it's become just like vehicle accidents....a death is much cheaper than an permanent disability. Besides, dead theives can't come back at you. So if you act, act with decisiveness....pirates had it right......just one version of how it all went down.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Then you probably shouldn't tell people how they will react/handle the situation. After all, you have zero experience. Because YOU are unable to react to the situation in your own mind, does not mean others can't.
Thats not what I said.

I'm also not naive to the point that I can handle every situation accordingly.

And I never said I have Zero experience.

I said I haven't had the 3 am home invasion.

Fight or Flight.

Until you experience that...No one knows the answer about themselves.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
1) Funny thing is, I don't watch any TV....haven't for 20years.
2) Race track.....high performance situation....against higher training. Not a even close analogy. In fact the theif is like one walking on the track, might be a better analogy.
3) In fact a lot of people on here ARE prepared for the theif breaking in. In the old days, the farmer kept the gun loaded behind the bedroom door....and delt with whatever was lurking....around the cattle or the garage.
4) Like the long gone Fishgunner member, you place such a high premium on military or Leo training and discount the hands on years of experience of AO members.
5) You also cannot fathom that perhaps the members on here have more testosterone than you might be used to. Sure some might flight. But a bigger percentage will fight...and more so once your personal space and family's is threatened. In fact, the adrenine of the threat would make the homeowner much more dangerous than some slinking coyote of a theif.

6) lots of situation in life create a fight or flight situation....so I'm sure many of us know what our normal response is. (a guy starts something with you in the bar...what's your response...cower or push back...OR aggression)
You might flight.....actually sounds highly likely you normally do. Don't paint us all as the same Pxxsy!!! (hear that aggression in my tone??.....wanna guess what my reaction to a theif is going to be???)

7) And lastly, just cause we ARE discussing it, many DO know what their response will be....just contemplating the situation gives us a plan in mind......and most will conclude it involves a shovel....out of necessity of how stupid our legal system is.

8) You are right on one point...if we hurt the theif, he wins, and we lose big time. (Quite the statement of what our legal system has become!!) But it's become just like vehicle accidents....a death is much cheaper than an permanent disability. Besides, dead theives can't come back at you. So if you act, act with decisiveness....pirates had it right......just one version of how it all went down.
I wish you luck ...Internet tough guy

And of the current AO membership..maybe 5% are like you describe.

The other 95% myself included are weekend warrior types.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:46 PM
Banned

Hooooboy.....

No excuses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0suRwhnsz0I

https://www.google.ca/search?q=home+...vasion&tbm=nws
Old 06-25-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Cops don't respond to your alarm,
It is contracted out to a Security company,
Who may not arrive for almost an hour, They don't need to. the alarm has scared them off
Then it is them who calls the key holder or cops depending on what is found

Your neighbors aren't as involved as you think they are Yes, yes they are
My response in red.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
My response in red.
An alarm doesn't scare off intruders as much as you think.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
An alarm doesn't scare off intruders as much as you think.
Yes it does.

Maybe not a car alarm at the mall parkade but in a quiet neighborhood?
You bet it does. These guys aren't master thieves.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:06 PM

About 10 years ago just east of cowtown.

Quote:
Christopher Joel Hansen, 27, and Lance Norton, 32, broke into a house near Langdon on Jan. 3 to beat up Dan Olineck, who had broken up with Norton's pregnant sister.

But Olineck was able to grab a knife from the night stand to defend himself and his sleeping girlfriend, Melanie Tanner. He fatally stabbed Norton and injured Hansen, who fled the home.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tence-1.722583
Old 06-25-2017, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Yes it does.

Maybe not a car alarm at the mall parkade but in a quiet neighborhood?
You bet it does. These guys aren't master thieves.
No it doesn't

As a former Alarm response for a Security company with ADT I have arrived numerous times to find the house broken into, alarm still ringing, and in some cases areas trashed.
As an agent I can enter the home to disable the alarm with the alarm company on the phone
Then if it appears that something is broken or trashed I wait for police response, and the key holder to arrive.

Most times the key holder is unavailable so I leave a report in the door letting you know that I was there.

House alarms may scare the rookie thieves,
but not the ones that know those who are responding have up to an hour as per contract to get on site,

7 minutes.

If someone can get there in 7 minutes you have a chance of catching the person on the act.

after that it is an insurance claim.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I wish you luck ...Internet tough guy

And of the current AO membership..maybe 5% are like you describe.

The other 95% myself included are weekend warrior types.

Any time you want to test your theories.... And find out if I'm a weekend warrior/Internet tough guy, you're welcome to. And find out who has the fight or flight response. My motto....the best defense is a strong aggresive offense and if your going to do something, do it to the finish...otherwise X off!!

You have a weakness syndrome that believes most people are just as weak as you .......gives you comfort in your failings that you're not alone....hence your 95% estimate.

Enjoy the comfort of thinking others are cowering, just like you are, while their families are in danger! Delusional!!!!
Old 06-26-2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Any time you want to test your theories.... And find out if I'm a weekend warrior/Internet tough guy, you're welcome to. And find out who has the fight or flight response. My motto....the best defense is a strong aggresive offense and if your going to do something, do it to the finish...otherwise X off!!

You have a weakness syndrome that believes most people are just as weak as you .......gives you comfort in your failings that you're not alone....hence your 95% estimate.

Enjoy the comfort of thinking others are cowering, just like you are, while their families are in danger! Delusional!!!!
Ya, I agree with you. The thought of people invading my house does not scare me. It does infuriate me though. Mr theif will not like to meet up with me at 3:00 am in my own home.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Ya, I agree with you. The thought of people invading my house does not scare me. It does infuriate me though. Mr theif will not like to meet up with me at 3:00 am in my own home.

I'd be a bit freaked out to meet up with a talking moose at any time of the day!
Old 06-26-2017, 07:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Pure speculation

Another thread on pure speculation...ohhh my...

Shoot'em Liz, shoooot'em...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-26-2017, 08:53 AM

I can't wait to see who wins this thread!
Old 06-26-2017, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:

Like I said

Internet tough guy
Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
No it doesn't

As a former Alarm response for a Security company with ADT I have arrived numerous times to find the house broken into, alarm still ringing, and in some cases areas trashed.
As an agent I can enter the home to disable the alarm with the alarm company on the phone
Then if it appears that something is broken or trashed I wait for police response, and the key holder to arrive.

Most times the key holder is unavailable so I leave a report in the door letting you know that I was there.

House alarms may scare the rookie thieves,
but not the ones that know those who are responding have up to an hour as per contract to get on site,

7 minutes.

If someone can get there in 7 minutes you have a chance of catching the person on the act.

after that it is an insurance claim.
Seeing get your responses here, I get the impression that you made sure that you didn't show up at the alarm site until that hour had almost elapsed.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Banned

https://youtu.be/LtcWpbwQw6M
Old 07-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Banned

Default I Hate Thieves

I was in Alberta in June for three weeks of tournament fishing. Last stop was Bonnyville and arriving Sunday June 19 I found that the electricity was out on my campsite at Vezeau Beach. My RV battery had gone into the boat to replace a failed unit so I needed to fire up the Honda inverter to keep the bait happy and my food frozen. That is why I have a generator.

At 3:15 I was up for a glass of water and all was good. At 4:54 I was up for all day and the genny had quit. 'Needs gas' I thought. Not so. It was gone. Stolen from under my nose.

Mounties tell me that there is a group of druggies who do this kind of thing all the time! Every now and then they round up all the usual suspects and maybe get a warehouse of stolen goods. Insurance (SGI) paid me $538 for a $1350.00 item and a promise of an additional $115.00 if I spend no less than $1038 to replace my year old equipment. BFD

The manager arrived soon after, the power came on and the leeches went back to sleep, but I am still choked. And out several hundred dollars that I cannot afford. Unhappy times in AB.