Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-25-2017, 09:18 PM

Default exploading 22lr

so I was out shooting the other day and on the first shot of my .22 my ear where ringing and the gun was smoking. turns out the primer blew straight out the barrel and I was left with a hollow .22lr open at both ends. does anyone know what causes this? it was an older round but I had success with others of the same type. anyway good idea to wear ear protection and eye protection even with the .22
Old 06-26-2017, 12:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
so I was out shooting the other day and on the first shot of my .22 my ear where ringing and the gun was smoking. turns out the primer blew straight out the barrel and I was left with a hollow .22lr open at both ends. does anyone know what causes this? it was an older round but I had success with others of the same type. anyway good idea to wear ear protection and eye protection even with the .22
Let me guess, the gun's a semi-automatic.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-26-2017, 06:27 AM

Safety first! Wearing PPE brings dividends!

I got a box of old Remington 22lr "cyclone" handed to me by a friend. Cost was labeled $17 for the brick, so its fairly old. all rounds cycled flawless. runs dirty, but works...

What was the ammo you were using?
Old 06-26-2017, 06:48 AM

This happened to me a few years ago. I was shooting some old CCI stingers. Shot about 1/2 a box flawlessly out of my old Browning T-bolt. Then I take aim at a gopher and pull the trigger and BOOM! My ears were ringing smoke everywhere out of the action and out the barrel. Missed the gopher. My partner asked WTF I was shooting? Total shock. I don't know what happened. It never caused damage to the rifle. I threw away the rest of the box of ammo. I would like to know if anyone else had this happen before.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:02 AM

It happens more often than most think. Remington ammo is the most common cause, followed by semi autos firing before the bolt is fully locked up. If it happens in a bolt action call the ammo manufacturer and get them to deal with it. Rem has recalled lots of ammo because the rim was separating from the case.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:56 AM

Do not underestimate the explosive power of a 22LR. Saw the result of a rim/case failure that also ignited the next round in the magazine. Separated the barreled action from the stock that split like kindling.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:02 AM

I had it happen once, the hot gasses blowing into my eyes was a big wake up call. On a side note a friend plugged his barrel with mud and when he pulled the trigger that "little .22" blew up and he lost an eye.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:26 AM

Default 22

I had this happen once as well with Stingers.I tried them in my Browning lever
Action.22. Had a separation of case and rim, causing powder burn to the eye.
Very lucky it wasn't worse. I have used Stingers in my bolt rifles with no issues
,but will not use them in the lever, again.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:11 AM

I have often thought that the .22 is so tiny that even a bit of overload could cause something like this. Thinking of the billions(?) of rounds mass produced I am surprised that this does not happen more often.

Other than that I would guess if the action was not closed but still manage to fire the pin, this might happen.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I have often thought that the .22 is so tiny that even a bit of overload could cause something like this. Thinking of the billions(?) of rounds mass produced I am surprised that this does not happen more often.

Other than that I would guess if the action was not closed but still manage to fire the pin, this might happen.
It does happen

http://www.winchester.com/library/ne...rt-recall.aspx

"Winchester has determined the above lots of 22 Long Rifle rimfire ammunition may contain double powder charges. Ammunition with double powder charges may subject the shooter or bystanders to a risk of serious personal injury and/or death, or cause firearm damage, rendering the firearm inoperable."
Old 06-27-2017, 08:45 PM

Thumbs down

I bought a box of Remington Golden Bullets this Spring and had to put them away because the rim was separating from the case. The bullet would travel part way down barrel and I would have to push it back out. The rim would fall out when I cycled the action. The case would fall out with the forced bullet. I had this happen twice in less than 100 rounds. PITA.

I e-mailed Remington. Got a canned reply.

I will save these round for bolt action gun only (not my semi-auto).

-Willy
Old 06-28-2017, 12:47 AM

Ran into a 22mag ammo and one blew the back right out of the cartridge and powder burn my face with little pieces of brass,i had shooting glasses on and it dropped me to my knees cause I was at bit of angle and thought I had lost my eye,i rinsed the eye with a bit of water and finally I could see a bit,that piece of garbage of a gun got smashed on the ball hitch and I split for the hospital,to this day I never new the make of that 22 mag.When I cooled down I brought what was left to a gun smith,the guy I got it from clean part of the action with steel wool and a piece somehow was stuck on the inside of the chamber and when I loaded it I never seen it and it got jammed ahead of the bullet and when I fired the pressure was way over and something had to give.

A friend of mine had dropped his 10 10 scale and some how it got out wack and we were out together and said he wanted to try some 7mmrem ammo he had just load and wanted to try it out to see if he would enjoy that cartridge with his new gun, so I asked if could go first with my new sako Bavarian and when I fired the gun it almost flew out of my hands,i thought some mud or something was it the barrel ,so checked out the rifle and inside of the barrel,so I fired one more and that thing lifted about 3 or4 feet of the bag and scared the day lights out of me,i wasn't to happy and I realized right away his loadeds were heavy,so I took a factory round to double check and it was bang on, got home and tore one of his shells and they were 12 grains over max and lucky it never damaged that gun or my self,gave that guy a good talken to and told him to fix his scale,first time in my life I shoot some ones other reloaded ammo and the last time,he had just bought a cheap axis and thank god I went first cause that thing would have never taken those pressures and we both would have been hurt,sorry for the different topic ,but I am 6' 2 and 240 and was in top shape and had a good grip on that sako and he is only about 150 soaken wet,and it would have knocked him out off the bench and that action or chamber or barrel may have split and hurt the little fellow,how he was off that much and never double checked the first few ,plus the scale .I still shake my head when I see him.i know for sure sako makes a good solid rifle,on a lead sled it would have snapped the stock and other things to,plus the two shots were high but only1.5 inches apart.

Last edited by JD848; 06-28-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Willy View Post
I bought a box of Remington Golden Bullets this Spring and had to put them away because the rim was separating from the case. The bullet would travel part way down barrel and I would have to push it back out. The rim would fall out when I cycled the action. The case would fall out with the forced bullet. I had this happen twice in less than 100 rounds. PITA.

I e-mailed Remington. Got a canned reply.

I will save these round for bolt action gun only (not my semi-auto).

-Willy
I sure hope you never shoot anywhere around me. To intentionally shoot defective ammo is ridiculous. Either make Remington pay attention and replace the ammo or throw it out. Shooting it is just asking for trouble.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I sure hope you never shoot anywhere around me. To intentionally shoot defective ammo is ridiculous. Either make Remington pay attention and replace the ammo or throw it out. Shooting it is just asking for trouble.
I agree! Either the ammo is defective or the firearm is defective. Neither should be trusted until that is resolved and using either is not worth the risk.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:04 PM

The more things like this I read, the more I consider wearing glasses at the range rather than leaving them on the bench
Old 07-02-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

The War against Gophers requires sacrifice be made!

No, but seriously, I think this ammo would be fine in a bolt gun where the bolt face is supporting the rim. I was shooting it in a blow-back rifle where there is little or none of that reinforcement.

I still got about 425 rounds left. That's up to 425 gopher zombies to whack!

-Willy
Old 07-07-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Willy View Post
The War against Gophers requires sacrifice be made!

No, but seriously, I think this ammo would be fine in a bolt gun where the bolt face is supporting the rim. I was shooting it in a blow-back rifle where there is little or none of that reinforcement.

I still got about 425 rounds left. That's up to 425 gopher zombies to whack!

-Willy
Bahahahahahaha, nice
Old 07-07-2017, 03:30 PM

I have had three incidents go through the shop this spring-summer season so far, Typical of these "blow ups" are the case head is missing and the extractor, spring and plunger are gone. As a rule the cartridge body is still in the chamber and comes out with relative ease, none of the shooters were hurt fortunately. Incidentally, and I do not mean to knock Winchester products but in every case it was bulk packaged Winchester rim fire ammo. Winchester is undergoing a recall campaign that is trying to round up various batch lots of faulty ammunition, the link has been posted on this thread by another member. Check it out if you or your shooting partners are using this brand of ammo. D.H.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:32 PM

Double loaded a 22 on purpose once when I was a dumb kid, ONCE! Is the key word, I cracked the receiver and my ears rang for a month straight! Even now 23 years later I have to use ear plugs for anything louder than a carpenter hammer.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:00 AM

Default pierced primers

Had a Cooey 60 I bought cheap,then I found out why. The firing pin was too long and gas would come back in your face upon firing. A few careful strokes with a needle file cured that.Harold