Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-06-2010, 12:29 AM

Default Fence Post Rubs

Has anyone come across any good rub lines on fence posts?? If so, did you conect on that deer?? I have found 3 hour glasses in my hunting time but never had much luck hunting that area.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:49 AM

one of my hunting areas has a 6x6 post worn down to about 3" in the center but i have never seen a buck use it yet but both me and my girl friend connected on two great bucks about 60 yards away from the post.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:02 AM

Fence post rubs you say, here's a few I took pictures of this year. Enjoy............................................. ...

Here's a few from the area where we hunt pheasants. I first found them about twenty years ago. I was pleased to return this fall after not visiting them for several years and find them still active.

Here's a few from our whitetail hunting area, these two were worn right down to the ground. My son and I shot our whitetail bucks within a few hundred yards of these rubs.

Here's a picture of my son next to one to give a little idea of the size.

This one's been worn down, broken and abandoned.

Last edited by BeerSlayer1; 01-06-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 AM

My old hunting area in Sask had fence posts rubbed right in half. Not sure why, there was lots of other trees and shrubs to rub on. Several fence posts on the same fence line were rubbed, not sure if it was the same deer or not. Shot several bucks in that area over the years.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Not sure why, there was lots of other trees and shrubs to rub on
Yes, same thing where mine are.

My guess is they like to rub on something that doesn't move or has no "give" so they build strength in their neck muscles quicker.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 PM

The following year it was off at the ground. I never did see any bucks larger than a basket 4x4 whitetail in the area.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:18 PM

They love the old almost white fence posts hard to find but if you do they work awsome don;t forget to put a trail camera to take pictures. we have been putting them out on our place for about 12 years 1 post last about 2 years.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkiller321 View Post
Has anyone come across any good rub lines on fence posts?? If so, did you conect on that deer?? I have found 3 hour glasses in my hunting time but never had much luck hunting that area.
Fence posts HAAA! I hunt a cut line up north that has power poles which run down the middle of the cut line and they are rubbed by bucks.I'll take a picture of it next year.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 PM

I have put trail cams up by posts like these. Lots of buck pictures. It seems that they are a real magnet for them. I am not sure why they pick out individual posts but a deer cannot walk by without checking them.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:03 PM

ran by this one in sask this year, just driving by so I never hunted the area. I did find another in Northern Alberta a few years back and hunted the area for a few days. Unfortunately I missed a 170+ I did see a few other bucks & scrapes & rubs in the area as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (94.8 KB, 59 views)
Old 01-07-2010, 01:29 PM

The bucks have a scent gland on there head, when the deer rubs the post there scent is distributed on the post.When the other bucks smell it they are compeled to put there own scent on the post to replace the other bucks scent.It's all a part of dominance. They just don't strengthen there necks there is a number of resons why they do this.