Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
A Poodle is Number 2 ??? maybe second best for a football sure see alot of them walking the blind.
My thoughts, too...danged little yappers. I don't currently have time or space for a dog, but grew up with #26s. #4 is high on my list of desireables, though.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-28-2010, 03:09 PM

Default My Girl

Shes 13 now and has been one of my favorite dogs.
[IMG]
Sharing some grouse.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:42 PM

#16 for me. Smartest dog I've ever had though but I started training very early. I don't think I will ever own any other kind of dog than an Aussie. I love them.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:05 PM

My #3 is Chevy, #28 is Kipper. Ya gotta love them dogs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chevy.jpg (36.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg kipp.jpg (36.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-28-2010, 05:19 PM

Well mine ranks #9, and I think that's a little low for those dogs, I think anyone with expirence with them would agree!!

Here's a picture of my new pup ( Argo), 4 months old 75 pounds and a brilliant sheding dog already. I just gotta train him now to get a beer out of the fridge, like my last Rottie, Maverick!

Attachment 20925

Last edited by pottymouth; 07-25-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
No surprise with #1

Here's our guy yesterday. At nine months he's already turning into a pretty solid mountain dog. Today he's off for his first lesson working sheep...domestic that is..

Here we are glassing some goats!

Hey, Sheephunter; shouldn't you be wearing yer sportsbra UNDER yer shirt???
...just sayin'...
Old 03-28-2010, 06:40 PM

diego used to be a beast. here he is destroying some kids basketball. he probably hated that sport as much as me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diego.jpg (88.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 03-28-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
No surprise with #1

Great pup, sheephunter! We grew up with Border Collies and man do I miss them... I won't own one where we live now and I won't own any other dog. So... no dog, much to my wife's disgust.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:55 PM

#35 Newfoundlander I though they would rate lower, It's the lazyest dog ever, maybe thats why they ranked higher than I thought ,cause they know what your saying and choose to look the other way?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:12 PM

Default Depends...

I think it depends alot on who trains the dog. Have owned border collies, rough collies, blue and red heelers,chihuahuas, jack russels, and mutts. All of them were good at certain tasks or commands but dumb at other things(like some humans) I think the Jack Russel is rated too high. The one I have now is just good at huntin and killin and trying to convince me to do things his way.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:24 PM

I've read most of the book while waiting for my wife in Chapters. The list is just a "general list" based on his research, and even he says it isn't foolproof. Some dogs require more training than others, and some dogs are just easier to train than others. It's a fact. And even within breeds there can be a variance of intelligence. People seem surprised by this list, I'd say for the most part it is quite reflective of the breeds I've met.

For anyone who has spent time with a well trained Standard Poodle, you'd understand why they were ranked highly. Usually the small poodles are owned by people who treat their dogs like Paris Hilton, hence their stupidity.

Cheers
Old 03-28-2010, 08:01 PM

my little girl is a #4- golden retriever. Smartest dog I've ever owned, easiest dog to train and absolutely the kindest, most gentle dog. If I could figure out how to stop the year round shedding, I'd have 2-3 more in the house.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:49 PM

Gordon Setter at # 37 and Lab at #7. Now I will admit the Gordon is as smart as a stick at the best of times but that stick can sure lock on the birds.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:41 PM

well lets see Recon is 1/2 17 and 1/2 7 so that makes 24 total divided by 2 for an average of 12

He's still a pup and has sensitive emotions so I'm not going to tell him Poddles rank higher than he does
Old 03-28-2010, 09:56 PM

I am going to save this thread and show the wife when i feel the need to tick her off! We raise #45 Belgian Shepherds.
BTW it is interesting to see several spelling errors in the list.

Last edited by deanmc; 03-28-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:10 PM

I don't know about the whole Lab puppy not being smart thing. I have 2 that by 6 months learned to open the spigot on the water cooler until the little splash bowl is full then drink from there. They don't think tap water is good enough apparently.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:51 PM

Default Tony-Abby

Just also remember Tony, Jet also is half golden retriever which is a couple of steps up on the lab so must be where the smart ideas come from. Funny part is our other dog, Shiba Inu is number 40 and I always thought she had more smarts than the lab and was just always trying to outsmart us....
Old 03-28-2010, 11:12 PM

#7 and #53 for me, wifey aint gonna be happy that her little "princess" is #81

Truth be told, the small dogs caught on pretty damn quick when we got them a bark collar, they aren't as stupid as they could be.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Banned

I want a 93 or 98,, doesn't look like I will be showing off any tricks any time soon.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:44 AM

The list seems to be put together by an amateur, rather than a versed dog connoisseur.
Not only he missed some very well-established and documented breeds, but he uselessly doubled on others.

Aside from the fact that I do not know of a generally accepted list that grades dog intelligence, nor of a standard test to rank them.

I appreciate the initiative, but I call BS on the actual value... and this does not reflect in any way on the OP
Old 03-29-2010, 03:48 AM

I saw the list a number of years ago and think the list is seriously flawed. It lists Shih Tzu at 71 and I can tell you that they are a lot smarter that. Back when she was a 7 week old puppy, it took our Shih Tzu less than 15 minutes to train my wife and I. We had her in her puppy crate on the back seat as we pulled away from home. At that instant she started to bark her sharp shrill demanding bark. I pulled over and told the wife to get her out and leave her on the back seat. I drove another km with the dog yapping away in the back. Stopped again and had the wife bring her up onto the console where she could see and get her nose into the air vent stream. The barking stopped, went exactly 3 km. I could extoll many more of her feats and accomplishments, but it would take me a quite while to write but her nose is worthy of mention. Her nose, I have never seen such a sensetive nose on another dog, ever. She is 16 years old now, blind and hearing lost, she hears clapping and very loud whistling, but it is her nose that navigates her about the yard and house. And Heaven forbide if you forget her treat after she has a whiz/poop break, she is quick to remind one of her dues. I will surely miss her when she is gone as I don't think that I will find one as intelligent as this dog.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 AM

Pyrenees not on the list, dog acts stupid if you just meet her but if you really watch she does think things and smart enough to know if she doesn't want to come inside she doesn't have to!

2 Shiba Inu's I'd move up on the list, smart dogs but stubborn. Our two decided yesterday that since we hung farm fence and they can't get out now they will just go right through the cattle guard....
Old 03-29-2010, 08:45 AM

Talking To Tonyflyfish

If Abby is so smart how come Jet, as a puppy, could so easily lead her astray?

Jet's Mom

P.S. Jet's all grown up now, watch out next time!!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 AM

Poodle at number 2!!!! Obviously this list was made while the originators was tripping on acid!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter View Post
Poodle at number 2!!!! Obviously this list was made while the originators was tripping on acid!
I'm not a fan of poodles, but actually, the standard poodle (big one) is a very intelligent canine. The little poodles are good for nothing, except maybe bear bait.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:45 AM

mine is #10 , well mostly red heeler with who knows what else mixed in . He is pretty smart though . The bugger figured out how to test the gate with his paw to see if it's latched. Good thing he nevers wanders far from the food bowl
Old 03-29-2010, 09:48 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
Great pup, sheephunter! We grew up with Border Collies and man do I miss them... I won't own one where we live now and I won't own any other dog. So... no dog, much to my wife's disgust.
Ya, I've had them all my life wrongside and they are definitely not for everyone but I couldn't imagine not having one in my life. This guy is by far the smartest and most in tune with his environment that I've ever had. All those brains make for some challenges though. He loves the mountains, he loves working stock and amazingly, he's incredibly birdy so that might be a bonus...we'll see how it develops.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:34 AM

Well Gus comes in at #54. He might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but he can pull like a mule and snore with the best of them!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GUS.pdf (25.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-29-2010, 12:51 PM

Cool Aussie

#1 - our border collie's wierd, they're extremely busy. it's not her fault though we "inherited" her from an older couple when she was 4 that kept her penned up quite a bit. Come around a lot in the last 2 years, but a long way to go, a victim of her environment......

#16 - I like our Aussie a bunch, she trys hard, good with kids and you can turn her off if you have to. we've had her since she was 8 weeks so anything she doesn't know is my fault
Old 03-29-2010, 12:58 PM

I see they left out the ones that are smarter than most people...Like Vizsla's.