Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 AM

Default A nod for Leupold and their service

Always lots of requests for scope advice on this board. Here's something that impressed me and that you might want to keep in mind the next time you need a new scope.

I have a Leupold VXII that's about 4 years old. The power adjustment ring is a little stiff and I wanted it loosened up a little. The Canadian warranty/repair depot is Korth Agencies in Okotoks. I dropped it off (nice to be able to do) last Monday afternoon, and I had the scope back in the mail Friday. All done, no charge, no shipping charges. I was very impressed. To me, that's one more reason why a Leupold is a good choice for around here.

Now I have to put it back on the gun, sight it in. Any suggestions when you don't have a bore sight or any idea how tight to tighten the screws on the rings? Perhaps I should take it to a gunsmith... or even the store I bought it that originally set it up? Suggestions?
Old 08-16-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I have a Leupold VXII that's about 4 years old. The power adjustment ring is a little stiff and I wanted it loosened up a little. The Canadian warranty/repair depot is Korth Agencies in Okotoks. I dropped it off (nice to be able to do) last Monday afternoon, and I had the scope back in the mail Friday. All done, no charge, no shipping charges. I was very impressed. To me, that's one more reason why a Leupold is a good choice for around here.
An even better reason to buy Leupold would be if their scopes did not come with ridiculously tight magnification rings from the factory.You shouldn't need to rely on warranty work as a cure for poor quality control.

Quote:
Now I have to put it back on the gun, sight it in. Any suggestions when you don't have a bore sight or any idea how tight to tighten the screws on the rings? Perhaps I should take it to a gunsmith... or even the store I bought it that originally set it up? Suggestions?
Mount the scope to provide the proper eye relief,then tighten the rings evenly,with an equal gap on both sides of the rings.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:20 PM

I have dealt with Leupold warranty from Korth and it was an easy and fast transaction. Most all of my rifles have Leupolds on them.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:23 PM

Default warranty

Leupold is excellent with their warranty work. The last scope that I sent them was back in just 12 days and that was with regular mail service. The power adjustment rings are a problem though.My sons 3x9 Rifleman should have came with a pair of vise grips to change the power with.Its going in the mail tommorow I will let you all know the turnaround time.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
An even better reason to buy Leupold would be if their scopes did not come with ridiculously tight magnification rings from the factory.You shouldn't need to rely on warranty work as a cure for poor quality control.

Mount the scope to provide the proper eye relief,then tighten the rings evenly,with an equal gap on both sides of the rings.

Ditto!

Why have Quality control when the customer will look after it with the famous fix and repair free warranty that Leupold has (less the cost of ammo, time, money for the post office etc...). It is a POOR design! It must be so bad they can't even set them correctly after making them for how many years....30 ....40... eeks.. time for a change.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:31 AM

I like Leupy scopes but all of mine are fixed power.
alot less moving parts, much less to go wrong.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:36 PM

Sounds to me that it is a good thing that the warranty and service department are so great and right here in Alberta, they sure do seem to be doing a booming business. Of all the various threads brought up on rifle scopes, Leupold seems to have the most warranty work done on them. No wonder having the Okotoks depot is such an important selling feature.
And for what's its worth, out of all the scopes I have or have owned, I only needed warranty work done once. It was to get the crosshairs replaced on a Burris years ago. I threw it in the mail to the US and it came back to me fixed and with complimentary scope covers. I do only own one Leupold though, and perhaps that is the reasoning for my lack of warranty needs.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Sounds to me that it is a good thing that the warranty and service department are so great and right here in Alberta, they sure do seem to be doing a booming business. Of all the various threads brought up on rifle scopes, Leupold seems to have the most warranty work done on them. No wonder having the Okotoks depot is such an important selling feature.
And for what's its worth, out of all the scopes I have or have owned, I only needed warranty work done once. It was to get the crosshairs replaced on a Burris years ago. I threw it in the mail to the US and it came back to me fixed and with complimentary scope covers. I do only own one Leupold though, and perhaps that is the reasoning for my lack of warranty needs.
I wonder how the sales volume compares.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-17-2010, 10:09 PM

OK OK, enough! You convinced me. Leupold's are crap! LOL