Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2024, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Seeing as how our diesel plant made the diesel that we burned in our heavy equipment, I happen to know that our diesel had to meet the 10ppm standard. My analyzer crew was responsible for monitoring the sulfur level, and if the level ever exceeded the 10ppm, we were not allowed to burn it, we had to run it through the plant again . And if we had an issue with a reading above 10ppm, I heard about it immediately. And we also had to import biodiesel to comply with the government standard for using a percentage of renewable based diesel.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2016/0...ewable-diesel/
So no carbon tax should be even considered, until all fuel used in Canada, is held to the same standard. And I am referring to fuel, not to the actual emissions produced by the engine, since it is the fuel that the carbon tax is applied to. And the carbon tax should be applied to all oil imports as well.
I was referring to emissions. Fuel quality and standards are required to meet said emissions, but as I said marine in particular isn’t required to meet the same standards as your pick-up like other large HP equipment. I can’t say for certain but I am sure that the reason you had to make your diesel meet the standards was because it was used in more than just the 797s. It was used on-highway as well I would bet.

As for adding carbon tax to marine fuel or raising the fuel requirements would just cause what to Canadians, and only Canadians, importing goods? Yes the good old carbon tax inflation cycle.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I was referring to emissions. Fuel quality and standards are required to meet said emissions, but as I said marine in particular isn’t required to meet the same standards as your pick-up like other large HP equipment. I can’t say for certain but I am sure that the reason you had to make your diesel meet the standards was because it was used in more than just the 797s. It was used on-highway as well I would bet.

As for adding carbon tax to marine fuel or raising the fuel requirements would just cause what to Canadians, and only Canadians, importing goods? Yes the good old carbon tax inflation cycle.
The point being, that the carbon tax is being applied to the fuel, not the emissions. It doesn't matter how efficiently we burn the fuel, we still pay the tax, and that makes no sense at all.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm not sure about the Bud, but the new John Deere 9RX that's coming, meets "Final Tier 4/Stage V-compliant....emissions requirements using exhaust-gas recirculation technology". So while it doesn't use DEF, it does have emissions equipment on board, just switching EGR for DEF.

Link
Everything has to meet Tier 4F in Canada and US right now. Depending on HP rating though changes emission requirements. For example Tier 4 interim on high HP diesels was close to Tier 3 standards of the older truck engines. For example the C175s in the 797s that are Tier4F use DEF but have no EGR or DPF. John Deere isn’t using DEF so they are likely using a DPF. That Case Quadratrac uses DEF but no DPF. Your pick-up will have both a DPF and DEF to meet the emissions standards of its HP level. They are both Tier 4 but the big HP guys are allowed to be dirtier.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:28 PM

Quote:
The point being, that the carbon tax is being applied to the fuel, not the emissions. It doesn't matter how efficiently we burn the fuel, we still pay the tax, and that makes no sense at all.
I agree. My point was don’t even speak about making our maritime industries meet our standards. If Trudeau hears that idea he will latch onto it and cause us nothing but pain.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I agree. My point was don’t even speak about making our maritime industries meet our standards. If Trudeau hears that idea he will latch onto it and cause us nothing but pain.
I don't see Trudeau offending his Chinese buddies by charging the ships hauling their goods to Canada, a carbon tax. And the same goes for the oil tankers coming from the middle east.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I don't see Trudeau offending his Chinese buddies by charging the ships hauling their goods to Canada, a carbon tax. And the same goes for the oil tankers coming from the middle east.
Agreed. But it wouldn’t be the Chinese or the Saudis that pay it.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:47 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Just for you, I will repeat my reply.

Seeing as how our diesel plant made the diesel that we burned in our heavy equipment, I happen to know that our diesel had to meet the 10ppm standard. My analyzer crew was responsible for monitoring the sulfur level, and if the level ever exceeded the 10ppm, we were not allowed to burn it, we had to run it through the plant again . And if we had an issue with a reading above 10ppm, I heard about it immediately. And we also had to import biodiesel to comply with the government standard for using a percentage of renewable based diesel.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2016/0...ewable-diesel/

Not needed as I was only laughing at a reply to you was all, found it funny but thx anyways.

Now back to sexy tractors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-28-2024, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Agreed. But it wouldn’t be the Chinese or the Saudis that pay it.

I like old trucks and heavy equipment. I belong to Facebook groups with like minded people. All our good iron is being exported and they are fixing this stuff up and running it forever. There costs are so much lower and we are going to be left with this plastic computerized junk. The third world is on its way up and we are on our way down. That's why Trudeau is more popular with foreign people. Just think about it. We hate our own prime minister so bad he has to let in foreign people so somebody will vote for him.
Everything Ottawa is doing seems to always have western Canada paying for it. I'm happy I have what I have because the prices of everything going up and I can't afford to replace anything. I'm way poorer now than was I was 4 years ago. I'm just trying to hold on.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:40 PM

Basically Ottawa and Quebec have screwed our western economy with the hope of creating a new electric vehicle manufacturing in southern Ontario and mining industry for the batteries will be done in northern Ontario and Quebec. Even took western money to give to companies in Ontario and Quebec to do it.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Your stuff comes from UN
Nah - Let's just say personal experience trumps Mr Google pretty much every time

Last edited by Sundog57; 03-28-2024 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Basically Ottawa and Quebec have screwed our western economy with the hope of creating a new electric vehicle manufacturing in southern Ontario and mining industry for the batteries will be done in northern Ontario and Quebec. Even took western money to give to companies in Ontario and Quebec to do it.
I really hope those mines are subject to the same environmental & regulatory rigour as western ones. Or is it just an environmental catastrophe just to build mines here? I’m sure the system is fair and unbiased…