Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2011, 02:08 PM

Default Electric meat grinders, Which one??

I'm looking to get my own electric meat grinder. I borrow buddys #10 Electric every year, which works great, but I hate borrowing. I process 3-5 deer & 1/2 a bison every year, mix pork end cut in the deer on the second (fine) grind, 2/3 deer 1/3 pork. Always have lots of grief pushing second grind through. Sinue plugging up plates & meat pushing up beside plunger.
Have a sausage stuffer so grinder wont be used for stuffing.
Looking to get 1/2 - 1 hp grinder Cabela's, bass pro, CTR or ???
Is reverse needed?
Thanks for your advice.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:51 PM

How cold is the meat when you grind?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:48 PM

This topic pops up every 2 months or so. Wait until Cabelas opens in Edmonton in August or September, then buy their 1Hp model. You can't go wrong. Had mine since 2008. Almost can't keep up with it.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
This topic pops up every 2 months or so. Wait until Cabelas opens in Edmonton in August or September, then buy their 1Hp model. You can't go wrong. Had mine since 2008. Almost can't keep up with it.
X2!!!!...great unit....will grind a tray before you have the next bunch ready to go...
Old 05-23-2011, 05:06 PM

Meat temp is between 35-40 F.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post

Thats my plan!!!!!! Can't wait to get it!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:02 PM

I got tired of my little one plugging up and bought a near industrial size TORREY from Halford hide. I think if you can get your moose to bend over and stick his nose in, it would suck pull him right on thru legs an all.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:17 PM

As stated before, keep the meat as close to the 32* degrees as possible without it being frozen. Maybe sharpen the knife/plate combo and keep the same knife and plate together as a matched pair. I have the cabelas 1 HP model and its great.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:28 AM

I have a Torrey from Halford's and it will clog up if the pork hasn't been trimmed of the sinue beforehand. Beef and venison go through very easily. BEL
Old 05-24-2011, 09:39 AM
sheephunter

Go with a 1 HP...you won't regret it.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:20 PM

Default m,eat grinders

With the amt you grind A 1hp is good. When I grind my meat is about 40% frozen. Even the regrind goes thru a lot better. I use a .75hp one. Piker
Old 05-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Gone Hunting

I find it interesting how frustrating it is working with some POS grinder and how much better it is to use one that actually is a quality machine.

get the 1 hp and enjoy processing.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-29-2011, 11:54 PM

Hah! A topic I have a lot of experience with. I grind a couple hundred pounds of meat a year or more from deer, moose, elk, pork, buffalo and beef and have retired a lot of grinders over the years!

Whatever you do ...do not buy the Waring Pro or Cuisinart brands from retailers like Canadian Tire or other mass merchants...They are fisher price toys at best. You will strip auger drives in minutes with very little throughput capacity and no reverse option. I wasted a lot of money here on these brands and although customer service is very good at getting you parts ... the units are not capable of doing much at all.

If you already own one.... The KitchenAid Mixer has a grinder attachment available that works very well but not much for capacity... if its only 20lbs you grind once a year spend a hundred bucks for the grinder attachment and you wont be disappointed.

If you are on a budget or want best value for your $$$ look at CTR's High Caliber Grinder
GRINDER, PLASTIC 1000W 110v
Price is $195

High Caliber Grinder for the Hobbyist! 1 KW Motor has capacity for about 20 lbs in 10 mins. c/w Fine, Medium & Coarse Plates, Stomper & Stuffer...

I personally use this one with no issues and believe they misrepresented the capacity.... i do about 20 lbs in 5 minutes. Best value for the dollar I have found so far. Its drive is oversized and wont strip on you . Looking at the Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops models they look very similar. Cant say i have had many problems with sinew plugging it up either but sharp blades and cold meat keep that issue down too.

No question I miss the big industrial units we used growing up but I also don't see a $1000 bill for these heavy haulers to grind a couple hundred lbs of burger a year as value for my money.

You do get what you pay for...so shop around
Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 PM

I'm just getting back into hunting so I looked at the Cabela's meat grinders...holy crap, the 1hp is over $500...simply not in my budget. Any recommendations for a hand crank model that works well...I don't mind a bit of manual labour. Has anyone used the el cheapo at Princess Auto?