Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Upcoming field events for dogs

Here's some events coming up this weekend around the province and even Saskatchewan.

If you have any interest in hunting dogs, drop into these venues. You will see some outstanding work. There is no admission fee and you will be more than welcome. Many years of experience from people who are happy to share there expertise.

Jun 18-19 Strathmore, AB – Spaniel Field Trials (2), Eastern Slopes Spaniel Association

Jun 18-19 Lethbridge – Field Trial (O,O,Q,J), Rocky Mountain Sporting Dog Club, Ron Bischke, rbischke@telus.net

Jun 18 Sherwood Park, AB – Working Certificate Series (1WC-1WCI-1WCX), Labrador Retriever Club of
Alberta

Jun 18-19 Bradwell, SK - Working Certificate Series (2WC-2WCI-2WCX), Saskatoon Retriever Club

I'm not familiar with the spaniel trials, but maybe some spaniel guys will chime in.

The field trial in Lethbridge will show some serious tests for retrievers, both on land and in the water. These are high intensity dogs with lots of training.

The working certificate series is far less demanding. It is set up to provide a way for show dogs to prove they can do the retrieval work as well. While not as technical as hunt tests or field trials , they are definitely worth watching.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 PM

Smile O,o,q,j

To those who haven't spent as many years as Red at looking up the wrong end of a dog, O=open dogs of all ages, these are the elite animals and handles, some of thes dogs will be field trail champions already. A few of the handlers my be National champion winners! So O x's 2 means the open stake is run on staurday and Sunday. O = qualifying for dogs who have never "placed" in an open stake, this is the place older hunting dogs often start, similar to the open but less experienced dogs. The handlers may be the same, who would go all that way with just one dog?
J=junior in Canada and Derby in the USA. These dogs are under 2 years and must be steady at the post (no leash and can't go until the judges give permission) and the retrieves are all marks and mostly doubles no blinds or triples. Decoys and live ducks may be used!

This is the level where you can really get hooked. The drive the dogs show is unforgettable. One J means one Junior stake probably on Saturday. Have a look, it is great fun.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:14 PM

This should be helpful as well.

http://www.nrcc-canada.com/