Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2011, 04:32 PM

Default Alberta ATV Requirements

So, what is legally required to ride an ATV on public trails in Alberta?

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 06-14-2011, 04:48 PM

call a regestry they will give you all the info you need. As far as i know a head light tail/brake light insurance registration and spark arrestor is all thats needed
Old 06-14-2011, 06:08 PM

You need insurance and registration.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 06-14-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
You need insurance and registration.

Andy
And a head light and tail light and muffler/spark arrestor.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:22 PM

Either way, I'm good.

Took possession of an estate I was left here in NS . . not the way I wanted to gain it, but there is 1999 honda 300 here that was literally only ridden once. Seems to have a few carb issues but will be easily fixed... so gonna fix that up for use in AB, it's already shipped out.

Thanks guys

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 06-14-2011, 07:07 PM

Here's an info pamphlet from the SRD website. OHV use on public land.
http://www.srd.alberta.ca/Recreation...hure_final.pdf
Old 06-14-2011, 07:27 PM

you will need at least 800cc ,with 28in mud tires (the more agressiver the betterer) Chrome rims (should be at least 14in diameter) A winch (to pull lesser atvs out of the skeg) .A large cooler to carry beers along for marking your trail as you go along . A top of the line GPS unit (knowledge of how to use it is optional ) .. also your gonna want to dump the stock exhaust system and replace it with something that can be heard for at least 7.9km.( this is a safety issue in case you are lost and cant decipher your beer trail from others that may be out there in the untouched wilderness. A loud exhaust enables others to locate you by sound.)You may also want to consider a mud proof super duper loud stereo system ,as this really enhances the wilderness experience ,not only for yourself but for all those around you.
Have fun out there and if you have any money left over get yourself a cheap helmut
Old 06-14-2011, 08:17 PM

^^^
Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
you will need at least 800cc ,with 28in mud tires (the more agressiver the betterer) Chrome rims (should be at least 14in diameter) A winch (to pull lesser atvs out of the skeg) .A large cooler to carry beers along for marking your trail as you go along . A top of the line GPS unit (knowledge of how to use it is optional ) .. also your gonna want to dump the stock exhaust system and replace it with something that can be heard for at least 7.9km.( this is a safety issue in case you are lost and cant decipher your beer trail from others that may be out there in the untouched wilderness. A loud exhaust enables others to locate you by sound.)You may also want to consider a mud proof super duper loud stereo system ,as this really enhances the wilderness experience ,not only for yourself but for all those around you.
Have fun out there and if you have any money left over get yourself a cheap helmut
priceless!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Covered in one post !!!
Old 06-15-2011, 11:37 AM

A helmet wouldn't hurt either.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
And a head light and tail light and muffler/spark arrestor.
There is someone around here (Not Me!) that could certainly use a real muffler on their ATV and not a can that looked like a muffler.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Very nice, its the stereos that really get to me. Both on boats and quads...or maybe I just have a general dislike of people!
Old 06-15-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
also your gonna want to dump the stock exhaust system and replace it with something that can be heard for at least 7.9km.( this is a safety issue in case you are lost and cant decipher your beer trail from others that may be out there in the untouched wilderness. A loud exhaust enables others to locate you by sound.
I wanted to put the luney tuned exhaust on my RZR but, unfortunately most of the trail around my place is right behind the subdivision and I think many people in the subdivision would get ticked off and it would likely lead to an ATV ban in my subdivision. If it wasn't for that, I would be all for putting a loud exhaust on my ATV and wouldn't mind if others around my subdivision had loud exhaust on their ATV's.

PS: thirty-30... If you live near subdivisions and want to put an aftermarket exhaust on your ATV, the exhaust companies quite often sell easilly removable silencers to keep the neighbours happy...lol.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.