Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2011, 12:41 PM

Default Do you save money by having a cardlock fuel card.

Just curious, now with the gas prices being a bit high, is cheaper by getting fuel from a cardlock as opposed to a retail fuel station?

Who really checks if you are burning purple gas?
Old 06-11-2011, 12:50 PM

I think I save around 8-10 cents a litre for clear with the UFA cardlock, the Purple I save a little more yet and have never been checked, I can't even remember hearing of anyone being checked these days...should be good to go...
Old 06-11-2011, 01:00 PM

You're probably right, but I heard the fines can be huge... >$10K.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Just curious, now with the gas prices being a bit high, is cheaper by getting fuel from a cardlock as opposed to a retail fuel station?

Who really checks if you are burning purple gas?
You can get regular fuel at cardlocks as well. Unless you are a farmer/rancher, you can not burn purple fuel. With that said, if you are a construction company for example, that operates heavy equipment, you have to fill out the required paperwork in order to burn purple fuel. I used to haul the stuff for a living. Another advantage to cardlocks is providing the station has fuel in the tanks, you can fill up at the pump 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:45 PM

Just an off the wall observation....

A person often reads on this forum about people turning in people that poach.

Yet a person asking if it's ok to commit tax evasion & break a number of other laws, that person is given advice how to do it & to go for it.

Is that weird, or what ?

Old 06-11-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post

Yet a person asking if it's ok to commit tax evasion & break a number of other laws, that person is given advice how to do it & to go for it.

Is that weird, or what ?

Its funny how some illegal things are okay ,while some arnt
Old 06-11-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Is that weird, or what ?

Maybe a new topic for William Shatner's show!
Cat
Old 06-11-2011, 02:00 PM

Over here, Bulk Purple Fuel is roughly 23 cents cheaper than Clear Fuel, which is about 10 cents cheaper than at a gas station (I think......I havn't bothered to fill up at a station or bulk plant for a while). I just filled out the paperwork to get a card for another one of the local Bulk Companies (if you can call it paperwork, it took all of 1 minute). In order for you to be able to buy Purple, all you have to do is "check" the little box. I was told that Purple can be used by anyone, in any machine, as long as that machine is not used on the road.
I can use it in all my Quads, Argo's, Boats, Mowers, ect, ect.

It's not very well regulated here, lol. One of the Bulk Dealers actually doesn't even have a seperat tank for Purple, you just fill up at the regular pump, and they give you some little dye packets. You are on the honor system to put the dye in your fuel containers yourself.

RD
Old 06-11-2011, 02:19 PM

Can't buy purple without an authorization number, kept by your retailer and coded to your cardlock card and you have to submit financial information to get one. Misuse is likely to loss of that privilege, not to mention the last fine I heard for a second offense was around 1200. At our cardlock, reg and dyed are on the same pump and I've inadvertently made the wrong selection once. I stopped as soon as I realized my error, but lucky not to get checked. With fuel prices being what they are, I wouldn't be surprised to see checks at those one stop does all check stops, during Hunting season. Probably save a few cents per liter, but my cardlock is just down the road and it's a big convenience factor.

Grizz
Old 06-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
Over here, Bulk Purple Fuel is roughly 23 cents cheaper than Clear Fuel, which is about 10 cents cheaper than at a gas station (I think......I havn't bothered to fill up at a station or bulk plant for a while). I just filled out the paperwork to get a card for another one of the local Bulk Companies (if you can call it paperwork, it took all of 1 minute). In order for you to be able to buy Purple, all you have to do is "check" the little box. I was told that Purple can be used by anyone, in any machine, as long as that machine is not used on the road.

It's not very well regulated here, lol. One of the Bulk Dealers actually doesn't even have a seperat tank for Purple, you just fill up at the regular pump, and they give you some little dye packets. You are on the honor system to put the dye in your fuel containers yourself.

RD

Where is "Over here"?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-11-2011, 03:36 PM

I got a ticket for purple many years ago, probably close to 18 yrs. Think back then it was $150 or so, but like the officer said, the next time the ticket is a lot more. In some cases of it happening more than once, revenue canada will go back on you, figure out how much fuel you have been using, and charge you tax. Could get pretty steep. Haven't been checked since though.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=Rock Doctor;973668]Over here, Bulk Purple Fuel is roughly 23 cents cheaper than Clear Fuel, which is about 10 cents cheaper than at a gas station (I think......I havn't bothered to fill up at a station or bulk plant for a while). I just filled out the paperwork to get a card for another one of the local Bulk Companies (if you can call it paperwork, it took all of 1 minute). In order for you to be able to buy Purple, all you have to do is "check" the little box. I was told that Purple can be used by anyone, in any machine, as long as that machine is not used on the road.

where is this? at our local bulk dealer i had toprove it was goin to be used for agriculture purposes in my vehicles they where quite strict with it..
Old 06-11-2011, 04:50 PM

Default Clear fuel is the same price

I have cardlock for UFA and Co-op for clear gas and diesel. Last fall I would take note of what the prices were at the pumps when I fueled up at the cardlock and not once for 3 months was it any cheaper. It was always the same price as the gas station.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:55 PM

Default checks for purple

Was leaving for an elk hunt in early November about 3-4 years ago and there was a check stop near the corner of 797 and glenmore trail. All Ministry of Transportation vehicles and heard afterward they were checking for truck infractions but also had the "purple police" in attendance if any vehicles displayed the farm plates they were checked for evidence of purple in the tank.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:05 PM

I never paid over $1.0729/L in May for diesel and the highest gas was 1.1609/L at UFA in Whitecourt. Average for diesel was about 1.02/L, gas 1.12L
Old 06-11-2011, 05:07 PM

Card lock price is the same or more than service station price

If you have a Superstore/Extra Foods/No Frills store close, you get 3.5 to 7 cents/L in the form of grocery purchases. Every one has to eat & it's cash off your food bill.
Card locks are for 24/7 convenience.

P.S. Unless you have a farm or construction account. Then it's cheaper.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Where is "Over here"?
BC.
I literally walked in , filled in the form. Name, address, phone#, bank I deal with, handed them a "void" check.........done. I asked if I could use the card for purple fuel, the person said "just check that box right there, you can't use purple in any vehicle that runs on the road". I said " no problem", off I went.
I have not recieved the card yet, but it's only been a week.

I don't buy fuel there anyway, I get it through another company, but it's nice to know I have the option if needed.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:23 PM

The co op card lock gave a 6% rebate on all fuel purchases for last year the year b 4 was 9%
Old 06-11-2011, 05:37 PM

Thanks deerhunter. Didn't know it was that high.
Note to self:
Get Co-op card lock fuel card on Monday.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
BC.
I literally walked in , filled in the form. Name, address, phone#, bank I deal with, handed them a "void" check.........done. I asked if I could use the card for purple fuel, the person said "just check that box right there, you can't use purple in any vehicle that runs on the road". I said " no problem", off I went.
I have not recieved the card yet, but it's only been a week.

I don't buy fuel there anyway, I get it through another company, but it's nice to know I have the option if needed.
At one time in Tumbler Ridge the husky service station had a gas pump that was marked fuel. It was for boats only but you didn't need a # to buy it, anybody could use it. Never paid any attention how much cheaper it was than clear, but saw a lot of jet boats fueling up there. Don't think they have it anymore though
Old 06-11-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
P.S. Unless you have a farm or construction account. Then it's cheaper.

Must be different rules here in BC, I guess.

RD
Old 06-11-2011, 06:27 PM

I use my UFA card only when we go north for hunting, just for convenience of fueling in the evenings. Other than that I don't use it as I noticed they charge the same as any other station and then charge GST on top of that so when in fact you can get it cheaper at pay at the pumps.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:37 PM

To qualify for the farm fuel tax benefits you need to be able to prove that you farm. In order to do this you have to have income statements showing that you made a minimum if $10,001 in the previous calendar year from the farm. We just went through this, major pain in the rear. I don't think that there is any other way to qualify for dyed fuel. But I could be wrong.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:10 PM

Been here 7 years now so maybe changed..... BC has colored at pumps all over. Even Islands. Couldn't pump direct into vehicles, just jerry cans.
It was (is?) premium.
AB wants to know the time of day you take a dump before letting a person get any.

"Olden" days they had to dip your tank to know if you use it. Now, it's a piece of treated paper held by (running) exhaust. Turns wrong color, you are getting a huge fine & taxed on est. milage back to when you bought the vehicle.

Deals at all/most bulk stns depends on the volume you use.

I've worked for companies here in AB where they tried to make me use colored diesel in my truck. I refused.
Plus, I spoke with a Ford diesel tech. He told me the newer ones (08 & up) had problems with colored fuel. Didn't ask why, as I refuse to use it anyway.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:12 PM

just a note for gas shoppers, Costco is always about 5 cents cheaper than town pumps, and sometimes even more. Wish they sold diesel..! Of course you need a membership
card, which lots of folks have anyway.....
Old 06-11-2011, 07:46 PM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I never paid over $1.0729/L in May for diesel and the highest gas was 1.1609/L at UFA in Whitecourt. Average for diesel was about 1.02/L, gas 1.12L

These prices are for clear, didnt read the part about dyed
Old 06-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Is that weird, or what ?

That is because if one suggests that it is against the law, one risks getting caught in a screaming match, even if the intent was to help someone avoid trouble. IE, by not breaking the law. Plus the offending posts, those advising caution, will be removed by the mods.

So I figure, why say anything.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:34 PM

The cardlock that I use has the price on the pumps for any retail sales. Price I pay is always less than the pump price. Retail prices at other stations is lower at times. I like the convenience of pumping and not having to wait for someone to ring your sale through. I used to fill at cdntire but when they did not keep regular hours due to labour shortage I switched.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:08 PM

Rockdocter:

when u first said "overhere" i thought it was Newfoundland, so was surprised when you later said B.C. Some years back, b.c. guys told me that only farmers, and forestry equipment operated "offroad" were the guys allowed to use purple.

I was shocked when u said the dealer would hand out little dye packets; that isn't the way it is in alberta: it is unheard of in southern alberta for any dealer to hand out dye packets.

Aside from the above:

1. i have found that a bulk station is a mite cheaper than the regular retailers.

2. both the ufa and co-op told me that your "local" bulk station of whatever brand is cheaper for you to fill up, than another town's bulk station of the same brand: ie, if you live at town X, and fill up at the ufa in town X, then that is your best deal; but if you go to High Level, or Drumheller, or whereever, and fill up at the UFA there, then that fuel will be billed to you at a higher price (because most of the dealerships are different private operators).

3. i was very dissappointed with UFA, so i stick with Co-op bulk fuel.

In summary: it is against the law to use farm fuel in non-farm equipment.

Dale is right about the qualifications.

And last week the rcmp visited with me at my gate (they were after somebody else), and they told me that if they want to check for illegal fuel usage, they just radio the alberta hyways officers or weigh-scale officers and they will respond immediately and zoom out with all the proper equipment for fuel siphoning/testing.

There is some pretty hefty fines based on up to 6 years back usage (i believe), plus interest, plus 'deterrant' court fines, so LOOK OUT.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Banned

depends on how many litres you buy, cardlocks are set up to give a bigger discount for more volume, you may have a hard time getting dyed unless you can prove you need it.