Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
To qualify for the farm fuel tax benefits you need to be able to prove that you farm. In order to do this you have to have income statements showing that you made a minimum if $10,001 in the previous calendar year from the farm. We just went through this, major pain in the rear. I don't think that there is any other way to qualify for dyed fuel. But I could be wrong.
dyed fuel is not just for farms. many oil companies use it for deck mounted engines that do not use roads. the savings is the tax portion that goes to road maintainence

as for savings.....most places are based on usage. use a little, save little, but use a lot and the savings goes up.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
dyed fuel is not just for farms. many oil companies use it for deck mounted engines that do not use roads. the savings is the tax portion that goes to road maintainence.

yah it's just called farm fuel because when they first brought it out mostly farms used it,but anybody that can prove they are not going to use it onroad can get it, rigs use it,construction companies,mining companies use it,pulp and paper mills,generation stations etc,as long as the tires don't touch the pavement you can use it.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:47 PM

I see guys all the time show up at UFA, fill the tidy tank with dyed diesel, then fill up the truck, same goes for dyed gas.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I see guys all the time show up at UFA, fill the tidy tank with dyed diesel, then fill up the truck, same goes for dyed gas.

it happens all the time, when I was hauling equipment I was told to use dyed diesel all the time cause we had both tanks in the yard.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
You're probably right, but I heard the fines can be huge... >$10K.
You are right. I have heard 2 different stories. The one was this guy I know was pulling a set of super B's hauling grain from mill to a feedlot about 200 miles away. He got pulled over by the DOT's. They checked his tank. It had clear diesel in it that he topped with dyed (it don't take much dye to color clear fuel) The officer said that if he doesn't drain the tanks, steam clean them and put clear in, he would get dinged 10k. Another story is about an outfit that had 12 trucks going. They got stopped at the AB/SK border. They were going to get nailed at 5k per truck because they had dyed fuel in the tanks.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:08 AM

Short answer to the original poster; dyed fuels aside, yes averages about 4 to 6 cents per litre on clear diesel and gas through UFA. I have no idea if I'm gettin' a volume discount, I average about 1000 litres of clear diesel per month in my pickup....someone wanna pay my fuel bill????
Old 06-12-2011, 08:09 AM

I ran purple while I farmed, and received a good discount on bulk fuel from Petro Canada(and still do), never got any deals out of UFA, ever! For you folks driving on lease roads and logging roads, you can also apply to the Feds to get your GST back that you paid on your fuel(clear or purple). You must keep a driving log in your vehicle and designate on and off highway use. It can add up over the year too.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
it happens all the time, when I was hauling equipment I was told to use dyed diesel all the time cause we had both tanks in the yard.
Nothing wrong if you've got Farm plates, but I watched a local dog kennel owner fill up her van, ahead of me one day. We've got a farm truck and my work truck. Never the two shall meet.

Grizz
Old 06-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Nothing wrong if you've got Farm plates, but I watched a local dog kennel owner fill up her van, ahead of me one day. We've got a farm truck and my work truck. Never the two shall meet.

Grizz
no farm plates I was hauling equipment around the city for a construction company, we had the dyed for the equipment but we had both tanks in the yard and I had a couple fuel cards aswell.

my father in law grew up farming he never did it as an adult but his dad did it his whole life, he told me the old farmers used to drive their trucks everywhere with dyed and had a can of mushrooms or some chemical spray in the truck at all times, so if they got stopped checking for dyed they were on "official" farm business.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:41 AM

As an average consumer (non farm/business) we save 2.5 cents/litre using a cardlock.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:05 PM

Put gasbuddy on your phone. Biggest price difference I saw for diesel was 14.9 cents a liter. That's a fair whack when your fill is over 100 liters.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:56 PM

Up until last winter, the two pumps in front of the Moyie General Store south of Cranbrook held regular clear gas, and premium purple. You could fill up your bikes, quads or boats right on their trailers with purple - or your own vehicle if you wanted to take the chance of being caught.
Unfortunately, they don't sell any fuel anymore.
A little further south, Creston's reg gas is $1.37, when you can cross the border to the US and pick up gas at $0.99 / litre, and be back in Creston in 15 minutes.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post

my father in law grew up farming he never did it as an adult but his dad did it his whole life, he told me the old farmers used to drive their trucks everywhere with dyed and had a can of mushrooms or some chemical spray in the truck at all times, so if they got stopped checking for dyed they were on "official" farm business.
Yep, square bale, fence post & a rope works too!
Old 06-13-2011, 05:25 PM

It would be quite interesting if the "fuel police" started showing up in hospital and school parking lots again. They used to years ago but haven't heard a thing about it forever. No one seems to take any "precautions" any more.
No different than poaching or any other crime. If there is no enforcement there is a segment of population that will take advantage with no compunction.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFFBUFF View Post
Yep, square bale, fence post & a rope works too!
Don't have to carry anything farm related in a vehicle with farm plates, if people on here would use their heads for something more than a hat rack you would be able to figure it out. You guys think that if I go on a personal trip I am going to drain my tank and steam it out then refill it with clear fuel? A farmer is allowed a certain amount of personal useage. Just so everyone is clear it is exactly ten cents a litre we save on purple fuel.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
Don't have to carry anything farm related in a vehicle with farm plates, if people on here would use their heads for something more than a hat rack you would be able to figure it out. You guys think that if I go on a personal trip I am going to drain my tank and steam it out then refill it with clear fuel? A farmer is allowed a certain amount of personal useage. Just so everyone is clear it is exactly ten cents a litre we save on purple fuel.
Hey, I'm on the same team as you! all I was saying if I was worried about it that's what I'd do, you shouldn't post if your tired or grumpy