Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2011, 09:39 PM

Default Purifying well water

Hello, I've been thinking about getting a reverse osmosis system for our drinking water. Tired of them darn jugs.
Anybody have one? pros/cons. Manufacturers etc.
Our water is pretty hard, 550 or so. Lot's of iron & sodium.
I have a 1 micron filter on the main line into the house if that makes a difference.
I see on the rainfresh website that hard water can reduce the lifespan of the "membrane". Doesn't say by how much or how much a new membrane is worth.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any info.
Thanks
Old 06-13-2011, 09:57 PM

the membranes are about 75 bucks expect 6 mounths from each one.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:33 PM

Danny Hooper advertises for Big Iron Drilling. That's all i can tell you.

http://www.bigirondrilling.com/
Old 06-14-2011, 11:15 PM

Default System

Just had Big Iron install both a filter system and a RO system at my place. I hated the sulfer smell....its gone and the RO system is producing good drinking/cooking water. I haven't been home much since the install but the wife is happy with it. If you do get them to do an install do not pay the 450.00 for the "continious chlorine system" on your well. It is a fitting on your well cap with a plastic tube going down your well that "you" have to drop the tablets down (the chlorine tablets are required for the RO system). My wife arranged everything and when I saw the price for a fitting and a tube I lost it on the manager and he removed it from the bill (it was already installed) and left it, acting like they did me a big favor leaving me with the 20.00 worth of parts. There were other issues with the way it was installed and some BS they tried to feed me but in the end the salesmen came back and made things right. So the system is good but not cheap, I looked at it that I plan on being there for a while and want decent water coming into my house. PM me if you would like more info.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:19 AM

I would highly recomend the R.O. unit the water is better than the jugs and over about 2 yrs the unit will have paid for it's self. I installed Culligan equipment, because it is a large water treatment company with parts redally available. I have many years of water treatment experience so I installed my own base on the results of my water tests. If you are unfamilliar with the limits for potable water I would get the system installed by someone else. On my acerage in whitecourt all I needed was a pre-filter, potasium-permangenate iron eater, then the R.O. unit and the membrane lasts about 3 yrs.