Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2011, 04:34 PM

Question Oakley Sunglasses

I'm just wondering for anyone who owns Oakley's, if they are actually worth the money. I'm looking at a polarized pair for $250 but if they're not much better than the $10 Fas Gas special then I won't bother.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:42 PM

I used to be a cheap sunglasses kind of guy...but only because I kept losing them.

I finally am a grown up and have been able to upgrade to a good pair of sunglasses..and boy what a difference. Clarity, depth of field..everything is so much better on a nice pair.

I have never owned oakleys, but I have many friends that have and they used to (not sure of they still do) have one of the best and easiest to use warranties out there.

if you tend to lose, break or just plain do not care about sunglasses i would stick with cheapos...but if you take care of stuff and want some quality eye wear you won't regret it.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:43 PM

I prefer Serengeti's and Maui Jim's over Oakley's. I found the Oakley's too Opaque and heavy compared to the other 2. The Serengeti's have real glass lenses and don't scratch easily. All three are great sunglasses and cannot be compared to 10 buck shades from the gas satation.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:45 PM

I thought it was a rip off to spend that kind of money on glasses untill the Mrs. bought me a pair. Now i will never go back to the cheapos. plus with lifetime warrentee you'll never need to buy a new pair. Unless you feel the need to have a second pair.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 PM

i have orvis tri spectrums way better than the $20 rapala never tried oaklys
Old 06-14-2011, 05:15 PM

I have a pair of oakley hijinx polarized I spent $200 on, Its worth it!! I had my last pair of polarized straight jackets for 10 years before I lost them in the lake. Then I found out my work covered my glasses now I am sporting a new pair of polarized prescription jackets at $650 .

anyway think about how many times you will wear them and divide that into the cost and I am sure you will find it is worth it!!

P.S. I may have a almost new pair of oakley hijinx polarized in matte black for sale.
-Ron-
Old 06-14-2011, 06:00 PM

I have had a few sets of Oakely's, from M frames 15 years ago, to my new oakely prescription lenses in a set of titanium juliet XX frames. My regular glasses have a nikon lense in them and the prescription changes randomly across the lense, $275 dollar glass / $175 frames. The oakley's have a much stronger frame, are impact resistant and most importantly the prescription does not appear to change or waver across the lense. The oakey's were $700 all in (prescription black iriduim lenses added some $$), and I would spend that cash again in a second. By far the best glasses I have ever had.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

Thank you Longbomber for you information. Any favourite place you bought those Oakleys?
Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 PM

I don't know if I could get over how much hate on I had for the Oakley blades from the '90's to buy anything they make now. I still hate that type of sunglasses with a passion, but maybe they have a more extensive line? I'm a Ray-Ban fella myself.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:34 PM

I've never had oakleys, but I currently have a decent pair of Arnott's, happy with them.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Banned

I'm not a fan of oakleys, I've had/have a pair of arnettes and a pair of spy, both polarized and less than 200. I've had the arnettes for 5 years and spy's for 2, both have held up awesome, especially the arnettes I use for work.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 PM

If you need optically correct glasses that do not distort you depth perception then get the oakleys, i used to run equipment and most glasses are not optically correct
Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

I just looked at those M sunglasses.

I will stick to my Vuarnets and Julbos.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:14 PM

Ryders make glasses that beat the hell out of gas station shades but are still pretty affordable, 40-50 bucks
Old 06-14-2011, 07:39 PM

Yes... But most importantly try to get lenses that suit your lifestyle. Check out their website, they have a cool feature to show what each different lense does.

I previously have owned lots of spy optics sunglasses. They stopped making sunglasses that I liked for my fat head, so I tried oakleys. MUCH better. My eyes are soo much more relaxed when driving now. Money well spent..
Old 06-14-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I just looked at those M sunglasses.

I will stick to my Vuarnets and Julbos.
M frames and blades are very early 90's. I think I still have my old ones somewhere in case I go to a retro night! Along with some of that fluorescent clothing, maybe that was late 80's??

I have juliet's now, much nicer than the face screen M's. I bought mine at the local vision center here. A good portion was covered under my medical.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Gone Hunting

I have Oakleys. I'm not sure that they are any better for me than my Walmart polarized $20 glasses. BUT I do take much better care of them.
They always go back in the case and are cleaned etc.
I do take care of the others but not as well. For in the field, I actually like the cheap ones better.

I'm a ray ban Aviator guy. I didn't know you could wear out a pair of sunglasses, but I have worn out a couple pair of Raybans.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-14-2011, 08:59 PM

I have the Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ or something like that. They have enough venting so they don't fog up when I sweat, and the polarized lenses are great. I will buy another pair of these. The only slight inconvenience with this model is the straight arms sometimes "interact" with my hat brim behind my ears...depending on what hat I have on.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 PM

If you want to save yourself a bunch of money stick to the gas station pairs. Because nice sunglasses are a like fine wine. Once you try a good bottle and know what quality is you can't go back to the $5 wine in a brown paper bag.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, now where is my paper bag...
Old 06-14-2011, 09:43 PM

I have many pairs of Oakleys. And I really like them all. I have tried other brands, Spy, Wiley X and a few others and I keep wearing my Oakleys. I won't buy any other brands anymore. I have twentys, hijinx, gascan, juliet x-metal, antix and another pair that I can't remember the name of. I really like the antix, their polarized and awesome when riding the bike. Spend the money, I really don't think you'll regret it.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:48 PM

was always a 'cheap sunglasses' guy but bought a pair of bolle at costco...worth every penny and cheaper than oakley.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:48 PM

also...be sure to get polarized, you'll love it.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Banned

Brand isn't that important.

UV protection, polarization, scratch resistance and frames are. Some of the brand names have those features, some "cheapies" do also.

Costco has some good deals on prescription sun glasses if you need them.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 PM

As far as polarized glassed go I like my Costa Del Mar's over my Oakleys.
I rarely ever even wear my Oakleys anymore.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 06-14-2011, 10:05 PM

I personally find Oakleys scratch way to easy for my liking. For the price you are paying for these it would be nice to get something that stands up. I own a pair of spy polarized and wouldnt buy another pair. They stand up to the abuse I put them through and are very comfortable on the eyes.
That being said go to someplace like the sunglass hut or one of those sunglass kiosks and try glasses on that fit you and are comfortable to wear. They all fit different faces different.

Last edited by simmered; 06-14-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Didnt finish typing
Old 06-14-2011, 10:07 PM

I abhorred the thought of buying pricey sunglasses...then I picked up a set of Maui Jims ( on advice from this forum ) I FRIGGN LOVE EM
Old 06-14-2011, 10:08 PM

Well worth the money, I have a few pairs.
If you take care of them they will last. If you do scratch the lens just buy new lens. I use them for hunting, fishing and sports and never had a problem with them.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:25 PM

If you truly want the best glass lenses available I believe Revo is superior. but to be honest I have not tried every other brand.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:52 PM

I've had a pair of oakley Flak jackets with interchangeable lenses for a few years now, and wear them almost daily-all day at work(construction), and more than once they have saved my eyes. Not sure if their CSA approved or not but they have done the trick for me. Their clarity is excellent and they don't affect your depth perception. I find they also have a excellent degree of polarization for fishing on bright days.
I also have a pair of oakley gascans, and a pair of maui jims and have tried out a pair of arnetts, and I by far perfer the oakley Flak jackets for their excellent fit and finish! Well worth the money!!

-Mad
Old 06-15-2011, 12:15 AM

Tri-Spectrum™ Technology boosts colors yellow, red, and green for maximum contrast and visual clarity. Images look sharper and more defined and colors look brighter.
Tempered distortion-free, precision-ground and polished optical glass.
100% UVA and UVB protection.
The best quality glass lenses give greatest clarity, contrast, and peripheral vision.
99% polarization efficiency.

the best

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3X93