Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Banned

got about 5 pairs of them, couple pairs of radars, monster dogs (don't think they make them anymore), and gascans...best sunglasses you can buy. Once you use them you will never go back to 20 dollar glasses again.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:49 AM

I'll be the one guy that disagrees.

I have a couple pairs of Oakleys, including the polarized lenses, and for the $200-450 these things set you back, I don't think they're worth it.

You can buy a pretty decent pair of polarized sunglasses at BassPro for $30-50, that's 10X less than a pair of Oakleys. Are Oakleys better? For sure, they're sweet, but are they really 10X better? I don't think they are, not even close. I wear my cheap ones all the time because I've got several pairs lying around so they're always handy and I'm not paranoid of losing them or scratching them. I don't notice a huge difference.

I won't be buying another pair of Oakleys.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:29 AM

Default Oakley's

I've got two pair. One are probations with the polarized iridium lenses and I think they are great. My first pair are military issue balistic eye ware with the interchageable lenses. I ware them all the time at work and when I was out of the country Great glasses and the protection is proven. My two cents worth.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:36 AM

I'm a complete optics snob.

My last pair of daily wear sunglasses were Serengeti Lassen frames, with Nikon lenses, and a Maui Jim tint. I loved them, but had to put them into semi-retirement as after six years of daily wear I became concerned about making them last as long as possible. I have another pair of these glasses with the Serengeti "Drivers" lens, but I prefer my custom Nikon lenses.

My new "daily" sunglasses are the Oakley Crosshair 2.0 with a polarized lens. "Daily" is in quotes as the tint is a little dark to wear in all conditions, and there are times when I have to take them off.

I've had several pairs of Oakley sunglasses in the past, as well as a pair of Bolle and a pair of Smith sunglasses . . . my new Oakley glasses are second only to my custom Serengeti glasses.

I picked up a pair of cheaper polarized glasses from BPS for fishing, and they drove me nuts. There was noticeable and distinct distortion in the lenses. In addition to that, the silicone nose pieces reflected on the lenses and caused irritating glare spots. The $50 I spent on those glasses was a complete waste of my cash. I have never felt that the money I've spent on more expensive optics from reputable manufacturers was a waste.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 AM

oaks are awesome super clear totally worth it i wouldnt ever buy cheap ones again
Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 AM

Oakley's are great but waaaaay overpriced. If you are fortunate to be military, fire, police, ems, you can buy directly from Oakley Forces and pay about $100 a pair.

There isnt the full retail selection of styles and colors available as most frames are gloss black or matt black, but I have several polarized pairs as well as lenses for golfing and each pair was around $100.

Cant beat that IMO
Old 06-15-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeones View Post
I'll be the one guy that disagrees.

I have a couple pairs of Oakleys, including the polarized lenses, and for the $200-450 these things set you back, I don't think they're worth it.

You can buy a pretty decent pair of polarized sunglasses at BassPro for $30-50, that's 10X less than a pair of Oakleys. Are Oakleys better? For sure, they're sweet, but are they really 10X better? I don't think they are, not even close. I wear my cheap ones all the time because I've got several pairs lying around so they're always handy and I'm not paranoid of losing them or scratching them. I don't notice a huge difference.

I won't be buying another pair of Oakleys.
Some guys think Tasco scopes are the cats meow! To each their own! I will never by a pair of sunglasses that dont say Oakley or Ray Ban.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Some guys think Tasco scopes are the cats meow! To each their own! I will never by a pair of sunglasses that dont say Oakley or Ray Ban.
That's the thing though, I'm actually really picky about optics. I can't stand using a Tasco scope or cheap binoculars, I run all fairly high end Leupold stuff and plan to upgrade further in the future. I'm definitely not one to cheap out, I like to buy the best I can and don't mind paying for it if I think it's worth it. If you look at my posts on just about anything, you'll see that I'm I'm always advising people to buy the best quality they can afford, or to buy it even if they can't afford it lol.

Basically though, I agree with Camshaft, Oakley's are great sunglasses, but WAY overpriced. If they were say half the price, $100-240 or so for the upper end, which is what you can buy other very comparable brands for, then I'd say you'd be crazy not to have them, but at their full retail price, they're not worth it to my mind. The cost/benefit isn't there, you're paying for a name brand.

Like you said though, to each his own, if you have them and can convince yourself that the cost is justified, then that's all that really matters.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:27 PM

When I got my eyes fixed back in 07 I treated myself to a pair of Oakley Half Jackets, still have them today and the only thing i've had to replace was the rubber bits, cost me $15. The lenses are a bit scratched up but i've had them for over 4 years and i'm hard on sunglasses.

Mine aren't polarized, but I can buy lenses for them that are. Lifetime warranty is pretty sweet too.

I've got a few cheap pairs as well but there's just no comparing the two.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:25 PM

I've got the Oakley Monster Pups (smaller version of the Monster Dogs, which are still available) and I absolutely love them! I can ware them all day long and have no issues, I bought a cheap pair from Marks and after an hour of wearing them I had a head ache. They don't make the pups anymore but luckily the lenses are still available, which are easily interchangable. I have the Polarized Black Iridium lenses and couldn't be happier. They run me about $275 at the time. I've had them for . . . 6 years or so.
My pa loves his Serengeti's, can't recall what kind they were but in about 10 years there's not a scratch on them. I think he paid $3-400 for them. I borrow them once in a while and they are pretty shnazzy, light as a feather! But shhh, I don't think he knows I borrow them
Old 06-15-2011, 02:30 PM

I have lots of Oakleys. Monster Dogs are still available one of their best selling line, new are the Pit Bull which are similar but a little bigger lens, I just got a pair, they are all great. Well worth the money IMO. But I have a pair of the Titanium frames they were $700 ish so you could say I collect em!