Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-31-2014, 01:33 PM

Default Best ways to go about obtaining permission to hun

As a new to Alberta hunter I've found it difficult to find quality hunting areas that I am able to hunt. Pluz is swamped with people bullets firing everywhere. Not my style of hunting. I've never had to start relationships with landowners to get permission before as in Saskatchewan my buddy's family owned tons of land. What steps does one take to first off find a nice area and progress to getting permission? Any info greatly appreciated. I most recently was denied due to not knowing the area well enough but can't change that without permission. Obviously its too late for this season but hopefully shed some light for seasons to come.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:46 PM

Face to face in a polite manner.

Offer your personal contact information to build confidence.

Do it in the spring before they hit the fields.

Follow up a month before you plan to hunt in case things have changed.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:53 PM

Politely and in person, well before the season, introduce yourself, where you're from and what you do for a living, don't be afraid to bull**** a little bit, I find not going straight in to asking to hunt but visiting a little bit about common things can really effect what kind of answer you get. The worst way to get permission where I'm from is to show up early in the morning or at supper time in camouflage. Or phone at stupid hours of the day. Also mind the the no hunting signs, I don't even ask if a guys got no hunting signs up.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:56 PM

As a landowner, I appreciate the potential hunter to come in the summer or early fall, sit down and have his favorite bevvy(my house, my bevvy)and request the easy permission. I will let him know where the game is, whether it be birds or other, and where to set up for deer or moose. Birds are his problem to search out. All I ask is that he stop when he is done for the day and let me know if anyone without permission was bothering him, and have another bevvy, while discussing his day. Simple. My dog and I will deal with trespassers!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:35 PM
Banned

I asked permission about 6 months ago on about 2000 acres of cattle ranch I had hunted for 20 years with the previous owners permission, the new Junior owner (about 35 yrs old said no, and recited some lame excuse about maybe his cattle get shot buy stray bullets, I said g,bye and put it out of my thoughts, 3 days ago I spotted ravens from my location on nearby public land above the huge private ranch I had asked permission 6 months previous , from a vantage Point high on public land it clearly visible the carcass was a heifer , about 50 yards away was a wolf chasing ravens that we're attempting to feed on the cattle beast carcass, the public O & G road had several wolf tracks crossing at intervals for several Klms , on the way out I noticed a tractor spreading Feed at the ranch , I pulled in and flagged the tractor operator to stop, he did, I introduced myself, mentioned the dead heifer and the wolf sighting and wolf tracks, his reply was WHY THE F,::: didn't you shoot the wolf ? ? I replied I didn't have permission and had previously asked his son but was denied,this guy about 60 yrs of age now, so His Reply was WELL NOW YOU DO HAVE PERMISSION, I am the owner ! , your welcome to hunt this. Land any time of the year ! And next time you want permission, ASK THE PROPER END OF THE HORSE ! We had a laugh and I said see you later boss, and thanks again!
Old 10-31-2014, 06:31 PM

I picked an area that I wanted to hunt.
I picked up a county land owners map.
I knocked on doors.
I introduced myself and where I live.
I kindly asked for permission.
Did this all in sept/oct

I got 6 yes's and 2 no's
Old 10-31-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
I picked an area that I wanted to hunt.
I picked up a county land owners map.
I knocked on doors.
I introduced myself and where I live.
I kindly asked for permission.
Did this all in sept/oct

I got 6 yes's and 2 no's
X2
But I start in feb asking for permission to look for sheds. Then follow up in August.
Brad
Old 11-01-2014, 12:42 AM

Question

i just moved to my first acreage near thorsby alberta,,i do have some natural areas that allow hunting, but the deer ive seen are on private farmland. its late in the season-is it bad etiquette to ask now
Old 11-01-2014, 04:29 AM

I've asked mid season plenty of times. Be polite and the worst they can say is NO. I agree it's way better before hunting season. However I believe the trick is how you present yourself. I've had flat out no's changed to yes's and I believe it's cause they had a comfort level once I talked with em for a while.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I've asked mid season plenty of times. Be polite and the worst they can say is NO. I agree it's way better before hunting season. However I believe the trick is how you present yourself. I've had flat out no's changed to yes's and I believe it's cause they had a comfort level once I talked with em for a while.
I agree 100% I've had some very hesitant landowners hum and haw until we chat for a bit, being a transplanted farm boy from sask seems to help a little when we get into some farm talk. I think being on the land owners side with our farm also helps the approach as well. Many times my mind was made up watching people just come up to my door. If they ignored my dogs wagging tail while walking up to the house and didn't give him the pet he was desperately seeking that was usually a red flag for me.
I get bussiness cards made up each year with my phone number, address, place of work and the plate, make, model and color of my truck on it. I think that helps quite a bit, gives them some comfort knowing they have my info if something were to happen. It never hurts to pop in every once in a while to shoot the breeze between seeding and harvest either
Old 11-01-2014, 05:57 AM
Banned

My work takes me to a lot of oil leases on private property,and whenever I get the chance to meet the landowner,I chat'em up,comment on the beautiful property,mention the deer I've seen there,and get a feel for his attitude towards hunting.Often results in an invite before I even ask.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:51 AM
Banned

I've asked mid-season, and even if I know the property is posted. Often all the owner wants to know that who is on his property, and at other times, the no, is followed by my question, "Who do you know who does allow hunting?" I've got lots of tips that way.

Yes, being polite, and understanding a bit about farming/ranching helps a lot. An interesting discussion with those that have cattle is calving timing, early versus later in spring and why or why not vis a vis markets. That discussion has probably got me more permission than anything else.

Agreed as others said, early permission is better, but not always possible.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Banned

Some good tips have been shared on this thread. here's a couple more.
...Foot in door approach..... In the spring i ask many landowners for permission to look for mushrooms. Harmless activity but landowner will see if your a responsible person as to closing gates, leaving litter etc. Sharing some shrooms or small gift (eg. box of chocolates) helps cement relationship.
...late summer discuss bowhunting (low impact, no guns going off) and placing of trail cam.
... coyote controll. Most landowners hate coyotes and if you can show them your responsible with a gun removing coyotes from thier property better chance to hunt it.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:22 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for all the tips. Seems fairly straight forward. I guess I just have an issue with knocking on someone's door uninvited. But I guess if that's the way it goes... Next step is finding some land worth asking permission for. What things are you looking for in the land. Obviously food water bush but I've had a hard time knowing what they are eating. In sask it was all farmland with crops. What are they eating with out that around? What types of grasses and shrubs?
Old 11-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2fish View Post
As a new to Alberta hunter I've found it difficult to find quality hunting areas that I am able to hunt. Pluz is swamped with people bullets firing everywhere. Not my style of hunting. I've never had to start relationships with landowners to get permission before as in Saskatchewan my buddy's family owned tons of land. What steps does one take to first off find a nice area and progress to getting permission? Any info greatly appreciated. I most recently was denied due to not knowing the area well enough but can't change that without permission. Obviously its too late for this season but hopefully shed some light for seasons to come.

JUST PUCKER UP
Old 11-01-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhunter View Post

i just moved to my first acreage near thorsby alberta,,i do have some natural areas that allow hunting, but the deer ive seen are on private farmland. its late in the season-is it bad etiquette to ask now
It is never too late in the season to ask. Be polite when you speak with landowners. Never argue and check back from year to year even when you have been turned down previously. Things change and you may just be surprised by the answer!
Old 11-02-2014, 10:25 AM

Ask permission in the spring even put in a couple of days fixing fences goes a long way!
All my neighbours would love for hunters to tin out the elk herd most of can't stand hunters attitudes.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Banned

Bring packs of smokes to HEO that's been out for 2 days and stranded on a drill rig,then shoot the shiz about hunting,then get invited to hunt his family's 13 quarters bordering crown of virgin whitetail paradise that they normally don't let anybody hunt.......works for me,5 more sleeps til 10 days off....stoked!!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:06 PM

For a sure fire method..........marry the farmers daughter!
Old 11-04-2014, 08:57 PM
Banned

I have a client that has made up business cards complete with WIN number and all contact numbers, he seeks permission by meeting all the land owners he would like to hunt on and gives times available...it is crazy the POSITIVE responses he gets. He is primarily a goose shooter. He gets calls from farmers on his way back from limiting out to "come over" and help cull some fields for them and he has to politely decline ...WOW