Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600twin View Post
I worked there for 3 yrs and the Cubans used the same money as i did so to say they have to convert it is incorrect. You cannot use Cuban Peso as a foreigner but i could as i had a Cuban Carnet. You can buy a lot of things in Cuba you just have to know where to look. Just go into the El Rapido and buy the products you want or go to Plaza la Americas in Varadero.
Just going by what I was told , by every local the I talked to, in Varadaro, Santa Clara , Trinidad , Centifeugo etc.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You sure they have to pay a significantly different exchange rate than you and I? The rates are posted.

But even if the government took a lot, still a big benefit for them. 1 convertable peso (tourist money) being around 24 regular cuban pesos. I'd rather just give money and let them decide what they need or want.

Pssst.... you obviously haven't been reading the papers the last few years so I'll fill you in. You and I are tracked here too. Your phone, internet, banking... all for your own protection of course.
Psst...... again you missed the most important part of what I said
Old 02-24-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I know then love baseball stuff but I don't have anything to give away. What other ideas for things people could use? I gave away some toiletry stuff last year, as well as clothing and thermoses.

Does anyone have some good stuff to donate?
Just an FYI, if you're planning on bringing back some cigars for friends, buy them at the duty free shop at the airport when you're leaving or at a legit shop or factory.

Do not buy from any street vendors, people that work at your hotel or a restaurant or someone strolling down the beach. Counterfeiting Cuban's is a big business, even in Cuba and if you don't buy at the duty free or a legit cigar store, you will get ripped off.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 02-24-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
Psst...... again you missed the most important part of what I said
I'm sorry, I must have misssed it. What else did you say about a communist country and being monitored?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:18 PM

Default What the really want

Big block Chevy V-8 and a Turbo 400 transmission...that will make them smile
Old 02-24-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Just going by what I was told , by every local the I talked to, in Varadaro, Santa Clara , Trinidad , Centifeugo etc.
Your Spanish must be a little dusty.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:29 PM

I'm not saying don't tip. I let behind my share of cash as well.What I'm telling you is what we were asked for every where we went was tooth paste , shampoo and baby supplies.this included some very English speaking locals in some of the richest parts of the country.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
The biggest problem with money is the majority of their daily life things need to be bought with the Cuban peso which is different then the money you spend. They have to convert it to pay for daily life and these transactions are tracked, and they get hosed on the conversion. The hygiene products and such can not be bought at any price in the local currency this is why most of them will ask for these things. Baby supplies are the hottest commodity. Money is ok but not the best for them.
You need to remember that they live in a communist country and the government tracks just about everything in their lives.

Not so, locals are able to spend CUC, they don't need to convert it. Not once were we ever asked for "items" when we were in Cuba. Everyone wanted money. The only items we took were to donate to the church where they distribute to those in need outside of the tourist areas. Gifting has become redundant now with so many people traveling to Cuba, how many little bottles of shampoo does a maid need? We also learned after the first trip that not everyone deserves a tip. If we didn't receive decent service, we didn't tip, no different than here in Canada.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
Someone needs to explain to me why you can't just give them money....
Lack of consumer goods that are wanted. Black market is expensive.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin