Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2014, 10:27 AM

Default Silver medal for sale

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...edal-1.2548897
Old 02-24-2014, 10:30 AM

Now for my comment,

here is an athlete that was funded by the Canadian taxpayer, to train and go win a medal at the Turin Games but wants to sell a medal for a million to go train... however her bronze medal is not up for sale!....

I would think that this totally floes in the face of what being an Olympian is all about...
Old 02-24-2014, 10:34 AM

Is it just me or does she sound a bit crazy??
If she had any chances of getting sponsors before I doubt she would get them now.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Is it just me or does she sound a bit crazy??
If she had any chances of getting sponsors before I doubt she would get them now.
She's a woman and she's french. She is probably a certifiable lunatic....
Old 02-24-2014, 10:36 AM

See no issue with it personally

She has a goal and is doing what she believes is the right way to help her reach it.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:36 AM

Hopefully she has enough money left over to buy a bit of makeup for her next close up photo. Geez
Old 02-24-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Now for my comment,

here is an athlete that was funded by the Canadian taxpayer, to train and go win a medal at the Turin Games but wants to sell a medal for a million to go train... however her bronze medal is not up for sale!....

I would think that this totally floes in the face of what being an Olympian is all about...
Each olympics makes their own medals. For team events, as many medals as there are members of the team are struck. Her silver medal was in the relay which means that there were four identical medals. She states in the article that she will not sell her bronze as there is only one like it.

As much money as Canada spends in grants, it generally gets distributed by the canadian olympic committee and their spending is weighted on priority, not need. Speed skating is not as "sexy" as say figureskating, hockey, or even curling. We tend to be concerned about sports we will medal in. Speedskating is not necessarily one of them which means the money you believe that she received from the government was like only a small part of her overall needs.

When someone steps out like this, if she's already training or with a coach, she'll still find some people to sponsor her. hopefully she puts the effort and gets good results in different events she gets herself into. That'll help just as much.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:57 AM

Thumbs down

She should get a job and get on with her life, keep up with training but stop relying on handouts and begging for sponsorship.

'I dont want to worry about money'

Sounds like a rich twit that thinks this is going to make her parents proud.

I remember a commercial for the Canadian athletes that included '8000 hours of airtime' just for training to and from the venues.

Get bent.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-24-2014, 11:00 AM

After popping out 3 kids and not training she would probably still fall short of her goal of qualifying for Korea. This is more of a retirement fundraser than a comeback fundraser.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:01 AM

"I'm going to need some funding, and I don't want to worry about money, I just want to train," she said.

Don't we all.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSniper View Post
Hopefully she has enough money left over to buy a bit of makeup for her next close up photo. Geez
That would add some weight and slow her down. But would defiantly help.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:55 PM

I would not pay $100 let alone $1,000,000 for a medal I did not win. She definitely has a face made for radio.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I would not pay $100 let alone $1,000,000 for a medal I did not win. She definitely has a face made for radio.
Or a pillow.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:52 PM

Very harsh.

It is her medal.

If she can legally sell it...why not. It does not harm us and Canada still got credit for the medal.

Surprised by all the people that post about freedom...yet put demands on a perfect strangers own prized possessions.

I would say if all she wanted to do was train...she need a 4 years of membership at the oval, a roof over her head and food. I don't think she needs a million...so someone could offer her $240,000 worth of food, shelter and training costs (4 years worth).
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-24-2014, 01:54 PM

She made whatever sacrifices she had to make to train and be the best she could. It's her medal, not anyone elses. She doesn't owe any Canadian anything. We gave respect when she placed in the event and that shouldn't change now. It doesn't matter what she does with any money she gets from it. The medal by itself has little value....it's the record book that means something. It's no different than endorsing something and getting paid for it. The remarks about how she looks and her integrity.......typical of how low we sink.

If you get 10% yourself would it be okay?
Old 02-24-2014, 02:04 PM

I think it's an excuse. She's going to try to compete 12 years after she was last in the Olympics? She retired in 2007. Never even went to Vancouver, nevermind Sochi. She's got 3 kids and will be in her mid 30's. She just wants $1 million.

If she wants to sell it, fine. She should pay back the training costs the Canadian taxpayer already put into her.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
She made whatever sacrifices she had to make to train and be the best she could. It's her medal, not anyone elses. She doesn't owe any Canadian anything. We gave respect when she placed in the event and that shouldn't change now. It doesn't matter what she does with any money she gets from it. The medal by itself has little value....it's the record book that means something. It's no different than endorsing something and getting paid for it. The remarks about how she looks and her integrity.......typical of how low we sink.
Agree. Why do we always ascribe the worst motivations to people's actions?

Bigger comebacks have happened. Canada has never supported the non high profile sports well. She and her family likely sacrificed a lot to bring Canada prestige in 2006. I'm pretty sure she doesn't owe the country a dime.

If she actually does goes for it then you gotta read this the other way: She already knows the sacrifice that's required, time away from kids, she knows she's past her prime, and she's unlikely to get any funding. She's willing to give up probably one of her most prized possessions and 4 more years of her life for another shot.

Could be the real deal.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote: "Why do we always ascribe the worst motivations to people's actions?"

Lots of reasons.
On this forum it's usually because they're from Quebec.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:19 PM
Banned

Wow, a lot of you guys must have serious mommy issues to show such contempt for women.

Sickening.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:25 PM

A cool million for a silver...What is a gold medal fetching these days

Crosby's gold medal...
Old 02-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Banned

Is selling sports memorabilia different than from Olympic memorabilia????

She was funded and she did her job very well by winning a medal.

What she wants to do with it is her own business.

And what does her looks have to do with anything?

Last edited by Boots270; 02-24-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:54 PM

Are we as Canadians actually criticizing one of our female athletes because of her physical traits (in an untimely video screen grab), one who helped contributed to our countries success at the Olympics? Good to know we have our priorities straight... It's also nice to illustrate how children develop into bullies and that some bullies don't grow up.

I guess we are all peak physical specimens sitting behind our phones or keyboard, while harping on someone who accomplished an athletic feat few can match. I'd hate to see an unflattering photo of some users here, now that would be a gong show to witness.

Why people aren't solely focusing on her decision to "attempt a comeback" through potentially selling her medal, is beyond me. I'm not sure if the attempt will be successful, or if someone will even purchase the medal, but it's her decision and I wish her the best.

finally, the earth swung around
Old 02-24-2014, 03:59 PM

So we cheer the medals but begrudge the path??
Nice
Old 02-24-2014, 03:59 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Throw the medal on EBay and go from there. Besides Silver is for Americans.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-24-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Wow, a lot of you guys must have serious mommy issues to show such contempt for women.

Sickening.
LOL You just realized that? Look at the scorn heaped on women politicians on this forum regarding their looks, but an ugly mug on a man never draws comment.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:02 PM

Did Warren Moon get crapped on for selling his Greycup rings and other CFL memorabilia?

It is her medal....I doubt she will get 1 million for it....but she can try.

I challenge some of the folks judging her looks to post a picture if yourself so we can decide if you are worthy....I am willing to bet some of you have a face for radio

To add....I think this is a statement she is making towards Government support for our athletes or lack thereof, they get very little money to compete and a lot of them go into huge debt pursuing medals....then when they are done they know nothing other than what they did, many fall deep into depression....

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 02-24-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Did Warren Moon get crapped on for selling his Greycup rings and other CFL memorabilia?

It is her medal....I doubt she will get 1 million for it....but she can try.

I challenge some of the folks judging her looks to post a picture if yourself so we can decide if you are worthy....I am willing to bet some of you have a face for radio

LC
Bingo.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
LOL You just realized that? Look at the scorn heaped on women politicians on this forum regarding their looks, but an ugly mug on a man never draws comment.
Maybe their comments are due to their own low self esteem.

It's tough being a fat white guy, in a fat white guy world.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:27 PM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I think it's an excuse. She's going to try to compete 12 years after she was last in the Olympics? She retired in 2007. Never even went to Vancouver, nevermind Sochi. She's got 3 kids and will be in her mid 30's. She just wants $1 million.

If she wants to sell it, fine. She should pay back the training costs the Canadian taxpayer already put into her.
My thoughts exactly
Old 02-24-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Maybe their comments are due to their own low self esteem.

It's tough being a fat white guy, in a fat white guy world.
I found those words ...hurtful.