Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2014, 04:13 PM

Default BC now needs ATV reg ?

Just heard this, can someone from BC confirm.
Just heard BC res now need to register ATV's and any out of province reg machines will need a non res permit (fees apply) to use their ATV in BC.
Not sure if they had a previous helmet law, but that appears to be part of it now too.

TBark
Old 02-25-2014, 04:14 PM

This is good...the stolen Alberta ATV market in BC might slow down...

LC
Old 02-25-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Just heard this, can someone from BC confirm.
Just heard BC res now need to register ATV's and any out of province reg machines will need a non res permit (fees apply) to use their ATV in BC.
Not sure if they had a previous helmet law, but that appears to be part of it now too.

TBark
looks like another cash grab. B.C. bring cash
Old 02-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Banned

Bout time they start "sin" taxing ATV's. should tax canoes, snow machines, skates, skate boards, skies. hockey and every other thing a guy enjoys on this friggin planet.
Why just tax booze and cigs, may as well punish everybody for their vices.
Hit them hard and let it hurt.
Maybe then will people wake up to what is slowly happening to our freedoms.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:27 PM

Do they not have to register them already like we do here in Alberta?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Do they not have to register them already like we do here in Alberta?
No they don't....subsequently many stolen ATV's from Alberta end up in BC.

LC
Old 02-25-2014, 06:17 PM

About a $ 1,000,000 of quad thefts in the Rocky are in 2013. They have to be going somewhere.

Don
Old 02-25-2014, 06:21 PM

You do have to register your atv here, and carry 3rd party liability insurance. My insurance is $125 a year, another $125 for my dirtbike too.
In the east kootenays it is enforced, but only heavily checked on long weekends and bigger holidays. Its a $385 dollar fine for no insurance when on crown land. I would be very surprised if the regs are enforced up north, but I have been checked 3-4 times on one weekend!
Old 02-25-2014, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
looks like another cash grab. B.C. bring cash
Maybe its just a way to help address the issue of people going off road where they are not supposed to.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:44 PM

Unsure how much of this exists now and what is new law.
Thought no ATV registration was required in BC 'til now.
The out of province permit and fee are new I'm sure.

http://www.leg.bc.ca/40th2nd/1st_read/gov13-1.htm

TBark
Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 PM

It a $49 one time fee for the reg and plate.

I see no problem with it as BC is, I believe, the only prov that does not have reg for their off road vehicles.

It will be a lot easier to deal with the asshats that run around in the alpine or in wetlands.

The biggest cash grab will be the reg of the vehicles. In BC we have this assinine BS rule that you have to pay PST on every vehicle bought, even out of province. So when ever you go the reg your off road vehicle that you bought, even a 15 year old 250 atv, you will have to pay PST. Even though it was collected when it was sold the first time. We have to do this for all motorized vehicles and boats.

Will be interesting to see how this works out.

Cheers

SS
Old 02-25-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Maybe its just a way to help address the issue of people going off road where they are not supposed to.
How's that working out here?
Old 02-25-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post
You do have to register your atv here, and carry 3rd party liability insurance. My insurance is $125 a year, another $125 for my dirtbike too.
In the east kootenays it is enforced, but only heavily checked on long weekends and bigger holidays. Its a $385 dollar fine for no insurance when on crown land. I would be very surprised if the regs are enforced up north, but I have been checked 3-4 times on one weekend!
Smart people from BC join the BCWF for around $50, and they get liability insurance along with their membership....and it's transferable so it will cover you on your atv and your motor scooter so long as you are using it for hunting or fishing. How hard is it to carry a small fishing rod? Sound to me like you got taken for about $200 of insurance.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Smart people from BC join the BCWF for around $50, and they get liability insurance along with their membership....and it's transferable so it will cover you on your atv and your motor scooter so long as you are using it for hunting or fishing. How hard is it to carry a small fishing rod? Sound to me like you got taken for about $200 of insurance.
As above, true. BCWF provides $2 million insurance to members, however the new regulation past this week now requires vehicle registration and license plates.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:16 PM

Guys, get ready to have to renew registration on your trailers every year here in Alberta.
It's going to be a tax grab that not everyone will complain about, so it will more than likely get pushed through.
Every boat trailer, equipment, RV or whatever will require yearly renewal.

Dig into your pockets a little deeper to line the golden retirement packages of our elected morons.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
How's that working out here?
Not very well but then again... folks in BC might take the issue more seriously and actually invest something more in protecting habitat.

If guys are right about stolen quads ending up there... a positive effect might be seen sooner than we think.

I was just supposin though.

Maybe some wishful thinking... last time I went home the hills were alive with quads and not a BC plate in sight....quite a few red on white ones though....

Forcing permits or whatever might just be an attempt to simply discourage folks from bringing them along on holiday.

Who knows?

We'll have to see how they roll it out and what the outcome is.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:29 PM
Banned

Default Quads

We need to lobby loud and hard to let our quads use the graveled side roads , after all we have to insure them and register them ,ld love to cruise the backroads and pickup bottles and cans ,l have rear view mirrors on mine , just wanna go for a putt putt, bicycles can do it ,with nothing , why not us.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Guys, get ready to have to renew registration on your trailers every year here in Alberta.
It's going to be a tax grab that not everyone will complain about, so it will more than likely get pushed through.
Every boat trailer, equipment, RV or whatever will require yearly renewal.

Dig into your pockets a little deeper to line the golden retirement packages of our elected morons.
is that really in the works right now ? if yes we really need to boot that douchebag out.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:42 PM

Just so you guys know BC's ORV law as proposed is word for word what the BC Wildlife Federation's F&G clubs asked for.

There is too much yahooing going on with minimal ability to identify and report those who abuse wetlands, riparian zones, road closures, or who endanger others on the trails.

Sales tax on quads & sleds is not new in BC. With registration the province will now be able to collect from BC residents who buy sleds through private sales in Alberta. Sales through AB dealers were dealt with a few years ago, through a BC/AB tax agreement. p.s. I don't like govt. waste any more than you guys do.