Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2014, 08:43 PM

Default Tell me about the 6.6 in your chev

I appreciate all the help you guys have been as I hunt for my truck.

I chased a guy down today and caught up with him in the c-tire parking lot.
He must have thought I was crazy.
Turn out his truck was a diesel. He said he would never go back.

I talked to an old timer tonight who wanted to sell me his 3500 with the 6.6.

What are the benefits and pitfalls of this engine?
What's the maintenance on them?
Life expectancy?

I'm not sure I can stand the smell of diesel fumes. Do these 2000 era trucks stink?
Thanks again guys.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:54 PM

Unless you are pulling a big honking trailer frequently, with the price of diesel you would be silly to buy one. As far as the 6.6 duramax I have had an 03 and currently have a 2011. Both were very good but I did have to do injectors on the 03 at 220k. For pulling my 2011 is significantly better than the older one. Owning a diesel expect higher maintenance costs. It will cost you about $90 just for synthetic oil every 10k km. DEF costs approximately $40 every 12000 km. Fuel filters are close to a $100.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Unless you are pulling a big honking trailer frequently, with the price of diesel you would be silly to buy one. As far as the 6.6 duramax I have had an 03 and currently have a 2011. Both were very good but I did have to do injectors on the 03 at 220k. For pulling my 2011 is significantly better than the older one. Owning a diesel expect higher maintenance costs. It will cost you about $90 just for synthetic oil every 10k km. DEF costs approximately $40 every 12000 km. Fuel filters are close to a $100.
I disagree. Diesel goes up and down just like gas. It's up now, it will go down. When diesel goes down usually gas is going up.

Part of the money saving of owning a diesel is the fact that they last a lot longer. Of course you only see this benefit if you drive your vehicles until the wheels fall off though. If your a person who get a new truck every 5 years than you won't really see the longevity benefits, but your resale will be higher with a diesel.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Banned

I wouldn't buy a diesel unless I absolutely needed it.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:26 PM

I've worked on them and have been around them for some time. The one thing you can be sure of is when they do have problems it gets real expensive. The ones I was around had a hard life so maybe if they are pampered it would be quite a bit different. Having said the above if I could justify it I would have one as well. One just has to accept the higher maintenace costs. If I had one I would not chip it for longevity reasons. If you get one make sure you get one with the big fuel tank. My 02 cents.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:30 PM

The newer ones have 136l tank. I think my 03 was 96l.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:32 PM

I have an 09 2500HD, I had it since new and it now is at 260, 000k. No deletes or programmers. I've replaced a few sensors and a front wheel bearing assembly. Fuel mileage is highly variable at the best of times but under ideal highway conditions and runnin' about 10-14k over I'm gettin' about 12lt/100km empty and 21-22lt/100km loaded and pullin' a 6000lb single axle stoneboat. I run full synthetic oil and I change it when the computer tells me to, usually 13-14,000km between oil changes.

This is my 4th diesel pickup and probably the best of the bunch and I can't see any reason why this truck won't last me to 500,000k like the rest of them
Old 02-25-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
I disagree. Diesel goes up and down just like gas. It's up now, it will go down. When diesel goes down usually gas is going up.

Part of the money saving of owning a diesel is the fact that they last a lot longer. Of course you only see this benefit if you drive your vehicles until the wheels fall off though. If your a person who get a new truck every 5 years than you won't really see the longevity benefits, but your resale will be higher with a diesel.
By the time you get to 400000 km your probably looking for a new ride, but if your not a used gas powerplant is like 1000 bucks. I don't personally see the point in a diesel other then towing and driving large amounts of driving or both.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:35 AM

Motors is still strong , excellent millage. This is on my 2003 welding rig motor has 15000 hrs on it , i have a 06 and a 2012 and im my opinion the 03 is by far more reliable. If you been looking this long , look a little longer and find a low millage 2003 you wont be sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.5 KB, 18 views)