Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-20-2009, 06:18 AM

Default Resizing 223 into 222???

Can I use my ‘222 Rem full length die” to resize a 223 or 222 Rem Mag; creating a 222 rem with a longer neck (which would need to be trimmed).
I ask this because I’ve recently found just under 1000 pieces of 223 and 222 rem mag brass in my late grandfathers collection. I don’t have a 223, but I do have two 222 Rems.
If this is a go ahead, is there anything I should know, maybe a trick or two you guys could enlighten me on?
Old 02-20-2009, 06:41 AM

I'm thinking your gonna have one heck of a time setting back the 223 shoulder in a 222 die.

I would wager the price of 50pcs of new virgin brass that you'd need a form die to pull this off, and that is still slim odds of it working.

Save yourself the anguish go buy some brass.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-20-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
Can I use my ‘222 Rem full length die” to resize a 223 or 222 Rem Mag; creating a 222 rem with a longer neck (which would need to be trimmed).
I ask this because I’ve recently found just under 1000 pieces of 223 and 222 rem mag brass in my late grandfathers collection. I don’t have a 223, but I do have two 222 Rems.
If this is a go ahead, is there anything I should know, maybe a trick or two you guys could enlighten me on?
Save yourself time, money , and frustration and buy some match 222 rem brass.
i have some of each and can tell you that it is just not worth it....
Cat
Old 02-20-2009, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the fast reply guys! I figured that this idea would be more of a headache than reloading should be! Now, do I sell the brass or buy a new toy and make use of the brass? hmmmmmmmmmmmm... I've always wanted a mini14!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Banned

Default Lol

I was just gonna say..."Now you got a good reason to go buy a 223."

Gun buyers...we're a bunch of enablers.

lol
Old 02-20-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
Thanks for the fast reply guys! I figured that this idea would be more of a headache than reloading should be! Now, do I sell the brass or buy a new toy and make use of the brass? hmmmmmmmmmmmm... I've always wanted a mini14!
You have 222 REM mag brass?
here's what you do - find a cheap 223, send it to Paul Reibin, and have him make you up a 6X47 in a nice varmint rig!
or, send ME the 222 rem mag bras and I'll have him rebarrel one of my single shots into 6.5X47!
(always wanted one after shooting a friend's 7X222rem mag)
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-20-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:28 AM

Smile

I have reformed hundreds (over 500 ) .223 to .222 . Just make sure they are well lubricated including inside the neck before you run them in full length die , don't rush when resizing take your time pulling press handle , less chances collapsing shoulder then just trim them to length .Also you should turn necks because necks might be to thick .One more thing , some brass is to thick and hard to reform. Other then that it is easy.
PM sent.

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 02-20-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222rem View Post
I have reformed hundreds (over 500 ) .223 to .222 . Just make sure they are well lubricated including inside the neck before you run them in full length die , don't rush when resizing take your time pulling press handle , less chances collapsing shoulder then just trim them to length .Also you should turn necks because necks might be to thick .One more thing , some brass is to thick and hard to reform. Other then that it is easy.
PM sent.
Unless I was shooting a custom chamber I would not go through this hassle of reforming and neck turning for the price of brass - I'd rather spend my time shooting.

Cat
Old 02-20-2009, 08:43 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Unless I was shooting a custom chamber I would not go through this hassle of reforming and neck turning for the price of brass - I'd rather spend my time shooting.

Cat
You are correct about a hassle but I have tons of free brass and I have lots of time on my hands in addition to that I like tinkering .

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 02-20-2009, 08:49 AM

I did just that about 10 years ago and learned two things....
firstly, it can be done..
secondly, it's not worth the trouble....
Old 02-20-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222rem View Post
You are correct about a hassle but I have tons of free brass and I have lots of time on my hands in addition to that I like tinkering .
Time is what I do NOT have lots of!
Crap, it seems my days off all I do is buy and transfer stuff, and send it, pick it up, and then IF I'm lucky, a little bit of range time.
I load , fix, and generally live in between work !!
Cat