Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-21-2012, 05:29 PM
pelada trochu

Default baitcaster questions

im a spinning real guy and now i am looking at picking one up.

how do you hold them and setup the balance of the rod.

looks like you cast holding the grip and then i see lots of people grip the front of the reel while winding in.

What are you supposed to do?

also, what about rod lengths. are they typically longer than spinning rods?

do you use much different action and weights for pike vs walleye or for casting vs trolling.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Banned

Pretty much hold it any way you want, I sort of cup the reel while reeling in and hold in front of the reel during a long fight. You can use any length of rod you want, lengths are pretty much the same as spinning though I think a longer rod is easyer to learn to cast with. I dont bother with smaller baitcasters anymore, a small baitcaster pretty much just does the same thing as a spinning reel. I use a baitcaster when I want to use bigger tackle and I have heavy duty spinning reels that are tougher than most low profile baitcasters.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 PM

There really isnt any hard and fast rules about which reel to use in what situation....but my personal preference is to use my baitcasters for trolling and for fishing heavier lures for the bigger fighters (pike). I use my spinning setups for walleye (jigging). I have my baitcasters on my 7' rods.

I have Team Diawa Procaster Rojo and Shimano Citica baitcasting reels. Both reels were in the $120-150 range. My first baitcaster that I owned was a $70 Abu Garcia Revo. It was good to learn on and figure out how to not create giant rats nests when casting. But, as Cal said, the smaller baitcasters, like the Revo definately lost its appeal when I invested in a more skookum, higher quality reel. If i did more trolling, I would use completely open-spool baitcaster like an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur.

As far as casting goes, these reels are tricky to get used to, but it just takes practice and patience. The key is to find the right spool tension for your lure weight (which is how much friction the spool is under when its open and freely spinning, if that makes sense). If the tension is too loose, the spool will spin faster than the line as it comes off the spool during your cast. This over-spool causes the line to birdsnest and then you have a mess.

But once you figure out your technique and tension adjustment, you will love using a baitcaster.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 PM

I have Geezle, Bushnell and Sureshot to thank for my new obsession with baitcasters....I was a purely spinning reel man before I met those 3 clowns

I am sure they all still have a little giggle watching me cast a weight out there....they could tell I was a rookie....no matter how well I was dressed or how shiny my new rod and reel were

I think both of my rigs are on 7'6" and 8 foot heavy action rods.

LC
Old 03-21-2012, 08:49 PM
pelada trochu

i just bought a johnny morris carbon black reel with the flip switch on it.
matched it to a johnny morris 7.2" signature series II rod.
i think its going to be a deadly combo but im not sure of the rod reel weight.
as if i hold the handle its way to tip heavy as everythings in front of your hand. but if i hold the reel its much better.

i might look at a 6 8" rod to see if it give me that super light feel i want.

its for walleye fishing and ill probably run 8lb test. which is at the minimum end of the setup. this rod has a real light tip but decent backbone. so i dont see it for the pike.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Banned

I use low profile baitcasters except on my sturgeon/lake trout rods which I use the barrell style reels (larger line size). I like using the Shimano Castaic for trolling as it has a two way thumb bar which is nice for letting out more line without having to re-engage with the handle.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis_rak View Post
There really isnt any hard and fast rules about which reel to use in what situation....but my personal preference is to use my baitcasters for trolling and for fishing heavier lures for the bigger fighters (pike). I use my spinning setups for walleye (jigging). I have my baitcasters on my 7' rods.

I have Team Diawa Procaster Rojo and Shimano Citica baitcasting reels. Both reels were in the $120-150 range. My first baitcaster that I owned was a $70 Abu Garcia Revo. It was good to learn on and figure out how to not create giant rats nests when casting. But, as Cal said, the smaller baitcasters, like the Revo definately lost its appeal when I invested in a more skookum, higher quality reel. If i did more trolling, I would use completely open-spool baitcaster like an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur.

As far as casting goes, these reels are tricky to get used to, but it just takes practice and patience. The key is to find the right spool tension for your lure weight (which is how much friction the spool is under when its open and freely spinning, if that makes sense). If the tension is too loose, the spool will spin faster than the line as it comes off the spool during your cast. This over-spool causes the line to birdsnest and then you have a mess.

But once you figure out your technique and tension adjustment, you will love using a baitcaster.
Thats the only baitcaster that I still use these days, while a couple other low profile reels ride ice fishing rods or sit packed away in rubber mades. I've had a few Ambasadeurs but the one I have now is a 6500, the second 6500 I've owned. Its big enough to use for salmon but smooth enough to throw around walleye crankbaits too, I do lots of casting with it and I'm unsure why people think these are trolling reels, they cast better than many more sophisticated reels IMO. I have it on a 7' rod right now but I want to try putting it on an 11' rod and using it for shore fishing when I take the family to Devonshire beach.

After a long period of using nothing but baitcasters I finaly came to the conclusion that they dont help me catch more fish, for example changing lures and having to make adjustments to the reel while trying to controll a boat in adverse conditions is counterproductive and anoying for all anglers in the boat. I still use the Ambasadeur just because I own it and its a fantastic reel but to be honest it serves no practical purpose. I hope when (if is maby more acurate in the case of an Ambasadeur) it finaly packs it in I'll have the sense not to get another one, fun gadgets to play with but rather impractical once you get past that.

Last edited by Cal; 03-21-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 PM

I bought mine for fishing for sturgeon in the NSR.....I like it for that.

LC
Old 03-21-2012, 10:36 PM

I bought a SHIMANO CAENAN 100 BAITCASTING reel but do not like it so I am going back to my Quantum Acurist which is way smoother but a little heavier. A guy at work bought a Quantum smoke for $180.00 at the sportsman show. Weighs a little under 6oz and is smooth as butter.

My old Quantum has the flip switch which I want to try flip casting this summer.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:55 PM

I have the shimano corvallus 401 and I love it. I will also be picking an ambassador C4 up this summer for my as a second sturgeon setup.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 03-22-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelada trochu View Post
im a spinning real guy and now i am looking at picking one up.

looks like you cast holding the grip and then i see lots of people grip the front of the reel while winding in.

also, what about rod lengths. are they typically longer than spinning rods?

do you use much different action and weights for pike vs walleye or for casting vs trolling.
First off, are you talking about a low profile baitcaster, like you'd see the bass guys on TV using, or are you talking about a round baitcaster (sometimes just referred to as a levelwind reel)?

Although they operate similarly, they're definitely not the same creatures.

I find the larger round baitcast reels to be more forgiving than the low profiles...particularly when casting heavy weights. Only one brake to adjust for your cast, and you pretty much have to make sure to thumb the spool and "hit the brakes" before your weight/lure hits the water to prevent overrun. They are typically a little more 'winch-like' with a lot of power but not a really quick retrieval rate.

Low profile baitcasters on the other hand are a lot more finnicky. Two casting brakes, and the chance to get a birds nest both when you're starting your cast as well as when the cast is finished and the lure hits the water. I find I get most of my tangles when I'm really trying to wail my lure way out there. They typically tend to be geared more towards a really fast retrieve, and don't have as much 'winch power' compared to the round baitcasters. Nice for when you want to run lures by pike really fast.

For *most* situations a spinning reel will work just as well (and in some cases better) than a baitcast reel...around these parts there is no reel need for them, but rather just the 'want' of it, if that makes sense. Some people (like me) just like to be a little different sometimes

Rod length and action would be the same as you'd choose for a spinning reel, and is more dependent on the species of fish you're after than the reel you use.

Clear like mud, right?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-22-2012, 08:56 AM

The basic advantages to a baitcaster over a spinning reel is a stronger frame, usually higher rated drag system and the ability for greater control while casting. The two basic grips people use are palming the reel and holding the fore grip on the rod. I find palming to be the most comfortable and allow for the most control. as for rod selection Yes you will want different lengths and actions for pike and walleye. I like a 6'6" -7'6" long casting rod for pike in a Med/Hvy to heavy power rod. the action depends on how you fish. for a crankbait rod a slower action will prevent you from pulling hooks out of the fishes mouth, for jigging or soft bait rigging I like a fast action rod that will give me great sensitivity and the ability to set the hook quickly. for walleye fishing lengths can vary from 5' to 9'. depending on the technique. and from Light to Med/Hvy.
It takes some practice to use a bait casting reel but after a while you will get used to it and wont have to adjust the reel to cast different baits (within reason). if u ever need help let me know and I'll meet you on the water and give you a quick lesson on how to properly set up the drag systems on your reel.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:09 PM

[QUOTE=pelada trochu;1356493]im a spinning real guy and now i am looking at picking one up.

Once you go Baitcaster you wont go back

Just like you would a spinng reel , just depends if your wanting a Low Profile baitcaster or a larger one . That information is something thats missing .Your not going to use a spinning rod for a baitcaster , you need to get a casting rod .

You would if you were using a larger one , with a casting rod and once you have your reel set up so your not getting birds nests and back lashes , cast it as you would .With a Low profile even the bigger baitcasters you can do that just prevents it from being pulled outta your hands . Its all up to the person typically you see Bass guys do that .

Set it up so you done get backlashes and birds nests .also, what about rod lengths.

are they typically longer than spinning rods?

They can be just depends what kind of fishing your doing and
what setup you want to use , and size lure your casting out , and target species . Example your not going to use a Large Baitcaster and 10 ft rod for perch , it also Depends what you want to be catching and lure size .

Agian also depends on the size lures your chucking , as for trolling cast it out let some line out and have at er , but you probably dont want to be using a Low profile baitcaster as you will strip the gears inside .

Any other questions dont hesitate to send me a PM Im pretty good with them baitcasters . Really its the only thing I use other then when Jigging for Walleye .

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 03-22-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:55 PM

I use low profile baitcasters for everything from trolling cranks to throwing bulldogs for big pike. Never a stripped gear or problem. Use Quantum baitcasters exclusively.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:45 PM

There is one post on here that makes me want to jump in front of a running horse, i wont say which one, just that one of them does, lol

Old 03-23-2012, 11:33 AM

I've been using the low profile ones for a few seasons now (I'm up to 6 of 'EM).

If you want just give me a shout when the ice is off the lake and we can compare techniques, I'm not a master by any means but I do ok most days.

Cheers.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
There is one post on here that makes me want to jump in front of a running horse, i wont say which one, just that one of them does, lol

Lol your welcome... its my specialty.