Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2012, 04:57 PM

Default Thanks to Dave at WSS north edmonton!

Each march I take 200 kids at the school I teach at ice fishing. Last year I took them for pike/burbot. I tried some home made tip ups made basically of sticks and heavy mono. The mono however was breaking (kids don't know how to play a fighting fish by hand), can't see mono line laying across the snow so I had a lot of kids walking through it and tangling it, and the mono was cutting into skin.

So I went into WSS around the middle of Feb to pick up some heavy braided line for home made tip ups. My thoughts were thick heavy stuff won't break and can't cut into hands. I told Dave at the fishing desk at the north end WSS about my plans and he/WSS donated about 200$ in 65-125lbs test braided line to our program.

I told Dave I would try to post some pictures of the kids on here, but unfortunately I found out today I can't post pictures of kids on here. If I can find some pictures without kids I'll put them up.

Kids had fun and caught quite a few pike/burbot off the donated line tied to a vineagar jug with a smelt on a treble. Biggest burbot was around 12lbs, biggest pike was close to 15lbs.

thanks WSS and Dave
Old 03-23-2012, 06:37 PM

Good on you for all the effort taking those kids out! I bet they have a great time ice fishing and really look forward to it. I would think many of them would not get the chance to try ice fishing with out that opportunity.
Dave at WSS picked a crew to show some community spirit and kudos to him for a good deed well done. Its also really nice to hear such a positive story, and you caught some great fish by the sounds of it!