Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-19-2015, 11:03 AM

Default Gunsmith to cut and crown X-bolt .300 Win Mag

Hi all just wondering if anyone could recommend a good smith to cut and crown a X-bolt in .300 win mag. I like the gun but the 26 inch barrel had gotta go. Seems like it is always catching on bush, shrubs and other things when I am hunting. I am willing to accept the small decrease in velocity and other possible risks involved. Thanks in advance !
Old 11-19-2015, 11:34 AM

Default Post

You should suggest an area where you would like the Smith to be.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:56 AM

Seeing how they are few and far between. Anywhere in Alberta
Old 11-19-2015, 12:10 PM

No offence but imo cutting your barrel to avoid catching on trees is a **** poor excuse for your terrible rifle handling. Never once have I allowed any of my rifles to get caught up walking through bush.. I thought it was common sense. Use a sling I like a Montana sling I believe it's called! Instead of throwing it over your shoulder and muzzle up, a Montana sling throws over your neck holding your rifle across your chest giving you more control and the gun cannot easily get tossed around. Save your money!
Old 11-19-2015, 12:27 PM

Try David Henry in Bently, he is a member here as well
Old 11-19-2015, 01:22 PM

Accurate action in Calgary shortened my X-bolt 338

4" of barrel cost 80 FPS.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:22 PM
Banned

a cut and crown is a really simple job any gunsmith should be able to help you out.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:28 PM

Get a Safari/Boonie Sling

LC
Old 11-19-2015, 01:52 PM

I guess I should have been more clear big red jeep, I take pride in the care and quality of my firearms and gun safety. And no I am not smashing around like a bull in a china shop when I am walking through the bush catching my barrel on every branch. We do a lot of deer drives by foot in our area terrain can vary from wide open prairie to pushes through solid over grown willow/poplar. I do have a .30-30 carbine that gets used depending on the topography. I have always had 22-24 inch barrels on my set ups. I have yet to see any firearms manufacture pump the tires on a 26-28 inch barrel gun as there next best bush gun. Some people generally use a shorter barrel in those hunting senarios for wheat reason ?!?. I gave the 26 a try and have found I don't like the longer barrel for that reason in my original post and for a few other varied reasons. All I was asking for was information on a good and trustworthy smith capable of doing a cut and crown job. Not your narrow minded opinion on my ........ Poor gun handling skills
Old 11-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Banned

meh... ignore it. everyone should customize and fit their rifles as they see fit.

unless it's funny rails with lasers and flash lights...
Old 11-19-2015, 02:11 PM

I'm all in for short barrels in the bush especially willows

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-19-2015, 02:12 PM

I have a 26 inch barrel on my main hunting rifle and it does require more attention to overhead branches and stuff. The bonus of cutting your barrel down is that if you dont like it, you get to get a fancy new aftermarket one!
Old 11-19-2015, 02:28 PM

Default Gunsmith to cut and crown X-bolt .300 Win Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhorn_J View Post
I guess I should have been more clear big red jeep, I take pride in the care and quality of my firearms and gun safety. And no I am not smashing around like a bull in a china shop when I am walking through the bush catching my barrel on every branch. We do a lot of deer drives by foot in our area terrain can vary from wide open prairie to pushes through solid over grown willow/poplar. I do have a .30-30 carbine that gets used depending on the topography. I have always had 22-24 inch barrels on my set ups. I have yet to see any firearms manufacture pump the tires on a 26-28 inch barrel gun as there next best bush gun. Some people generally use a shorter barrel in those hunting senarios for wheat reason ?!?. I gave the 26 a try and have found I don't like the longer barrel for that reason in my original post and for a few other varied reasons. All I was asking for was information on a good and trustworthy smith capable of doing a cut and crown job. Not your narrow minded opinion on my ........ Poor gun handling skills

Thanks for clearing that up. I was just trying to offer my opinion and to try and save you some money! I could have worded it differently I suppose! Sorry, My apologies! I like the old Winchester 30-30 for the bush and save the cannon barrels for the prairies cheers

Edit** lefty provided the proper name for the sling I use as well! Love the damn thing
Old 11-19-2015, 03:07 PM

No worries, I should have worded differently also. My apologize also for coming off sounding harsh. That you all for the advice and contacts. I'm going to look into it and try and arrange something for after hunting season. Just outta couriositys sake, what should it roughly cost me ?
Old 11-19-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedJeep View Post
No offence but imo cutting your barrel to avoid catching on trees is a **** poor excuse for your terrible rifle handling. Never once have I allowed any of my rifles to get caught up walking through bush.. I thought it was common sense. Use a sling I like a Montana sling I believe it's called! Instead of throwing it over your shoulder and muzzle up, a Montana sling throws over your neck holding your rifle across your chest giving you more control and the gun cannot easily get tossed around. Save your money!
I use a standard style of sling but have never had issues with snagging bush- if it's that thick the rifle is in my hands!
Cat
Old 11-19-2015, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
If it was my shop i would be doing it in a lathe and charging 42.5 plus gst.

Shop rate is $85/hr and it takes half an hour. Its not a race to the bottom that's a full bore price in my shop.
Exactly.

R.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:22 PM
Banned

If he wants to work for 70/hr because he has less overhead he has that competitive advantage i don't see the problem.

I've taken jobs at lower
Old 11-19-2015, 08:07 PM

To the OP. $35-$45 and your off to the races! Good luck with your modifications.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:08 AM

Default cut and crown

JR Custom 'smithing and machining in Tupper, BC. has happy clients from coast to coast to coast, literally.

Tags
barrel, browning, crown, cut, gunsmith