Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-23-2010, 08:30 PM

Default Clear Lake today

Met up with Sandalius out at Clear today, who cares if the weather sucked. Started off with a bang, line starts peeling off the reel, soon as I locked up to set the hook the pike decided it wanted to be elsewhere, straightened the snap on my leader like it was thread and kept going.

Saw a bunch checking out our baits, I landed 2, lost 2 or 3 more. Steve managed to land one, and had the same thing happen , snap straightened out and hooks gone. Im starting to think there may be a runaway Russian submarine or something in that lake. Last time it was Jeff who ran into it. Lots of fun tho, even watching the crazy snowdrifts building up behind the car as we fished. Two visits by a very friendly CO and finally the long windy drive back home. Fortunately the blowing snow only lasted as far as Champion so it wasnt a bad drive at all. Now I have two lakes with moby pike I want rematches with. Oh and the wife got skunked, about time , I switched chairs with her this trip and took the lucky side

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-23-2010, 08:37 PM

Don't get used to it, she'll be back to outfishing you in no time..lmao too bad it looks like I wont get out tomorrow
Old 01-23-2010, 08:51 PM

how was the ice out there? still pretty thick i would imagine. thinking about heading out in the morning.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:53 PM

How about we give that sucker chase next weekend if I'm not working

I'm working on some new leaders.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:53 PM

its plenty thick. lots of drifting with this wind tho, but the drive on at the north end is fine.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-23-2010, 08:55 PM

was debating on badger or clear in the morning but they say that there is a snowfall warning. going to hit one not sure witch one though.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:02 PM

Thats a deal Shelley. Im sticking to steel leaders til I see how that stuff works tho. should be getting my lure gear and some wire leader material in the mail this week. And I landed one and lost a couple with the headless smelts today One took off running, I missed him and ended up hauling up Karens bait on my line, it grabbed hers on the way by too, too bad neither one hooked it.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-23-2010, 09:26 PM

Good to hear you guys had a good day , one of us is going to pull out a monster out of there soon. I was going to tag along today but been doing 14 hr days this week and my body shut down to play some catch up. Its only a few weeks till the gathering so will see ya soon.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 01-23-2010, 09:28 PM

I thought the little woman was practicing with the soon to be whip and wouldnt let you go play I am going to get that big one next weekend, unless I think about it all night and go back in the morning, , just might happen.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-23-2010, 09:33 PM

heading out in the morning possibly with another member lol
Old 01-23-2010, 09:36 PM

weather network says not too cold and light winds for Stavley tomorrow, and blizzard for us, so I think I will go back and try again. I want my hooks back!!!!!!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-23-2010, 09:40 PM

picking up someone in the morning lol. I will be in a gold dodge extended cab.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:44 PM

got a very muddy blue cavalier. I will be the one jumping up and down swearing in the pike. and yes it works

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 PM

Default Clear Monday

Wayne
A couple of us are going to ice fish there for the first time Monday. I have only summer fished and got on at the boat launch. Where is this north end drive on? Is it just off the hiway at the north end or do you have to go down the road that turns into the lake. Might be better that than driving up the lake from the boat launch.

Thanks
Ken
Old 01-23-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
I was going to tag along today but been doing 14 hr days this week and my body shut down to play some catch up.
I call BS, you got up this morning and put on some lace panties instead of long johns ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I want my hooks back!!!!!!
I want mine back too !!!

Quote:
I will be the one jumping up and down swearing in the pike. and yes it works
Does this work - I don't know for sure, but it is highly entertaining to watch all the commotion
Old 01-23-2010, 10:06 PM

Haha I wish I had a video camera for this, will be out there myself watching for Wayne's little dance...
Old 01-23-2010, 10:29 PM

Ken you drive on right beside the outlet structure just off the highway at the north end

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-24-2010, 07:02 AM

Good to hear that the fish are starting to bite now.

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 01-24-2010, 07:33 AM

I plan on hittin Clear Monday as well,probably be there early again and try the same spot that worked so well on Friday.....north end
Muddy silver chevy ext cab with the golden retriever runnin around.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:42 AM

Default Monday

I will see you up there as well. Green silverado with topper towing black shack in sig. Moby pike is calling me.....
Old 01-24-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Thats a deal Shelley.
Craig just said he'd like to go. Cool.

That means we'll need to find a babysitter, so we won't have quite as much time. It is only 1.5 hrs from us though.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:19 AM

Boo hoo boo hoo, my fishing buddy has been working for the last two weeks steady so I havnt been out boo hoo boo hoo.. Feel sorry for myself day.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 PM

I keep hearing about the pike in Clear but have no idea where it is. Anyone mind throwing some directions over. I have heard it was by Stavely???
Old 01-24-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I keep hearing about the pike in Clear but have no idea where it is. Anyone mind throwing some directions over. I have heard it was by Stavely???
turn at Staveley, go past town and keep on going, not too far past it.
Shelley thats great, Im looking forward to meeting the guy who can put up with you full time

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-25-2010, 12:37 AM

Was out there on the Friday in the north end and boy the day started out really bad, didnt get out there until 2:30. Drilled a new spot and discovered it was like 3 feet. Moved to a different area and for some reason auger wouldn't even bite into ice. Thought it was wierd as the first hole drilled in no time and I didn't hit bottom or anything. Tried drilling for the next hour into different spots thinking it was the ice and not the auger. Not sure what was in the first hole but auger blades somehow got royalled screwed. We managed to drill one hole (took like 30 minutes) and discovered it was only 4 feet deep.

By now I was exhausted and we saw the guys fishing in the north leave so we drive up and use the holes they drilled before it got dark. Got absolutely nothing and decided to move further north to some other holes predrilled in hopes for some burb action. Discovered those holes were only 3 feet deep but at this point we are out of options. Setup the tipups and rods cook some dinner and as we finish a tipup goes off. It's now about 8pm so I'm thinking, great a burb finally. Start pulling the line and fish decides to take two long hard runs and luckily I was wearing thick gloves handlining.

Finally get the fish up in the hole and as it comes up the shock hits like a ton of bricks, a huge mouth full of teeth! 85cm and 12 pounds, best ever so far for me on the ice. Amazing how catching a nice fish can turn around the day and still shocked to catch such a big pike at night in 3 feet of water.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:46 AM

Nice pike you got there! Funny how that one big fish can make the whole day better.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:11 AM

Default Nice fish

Nice fish there Will. I hope your screwed up blade is on your hand auger not the new one I hear was coming. We are heading there after breakfast today for our first ice fishing trip there. Going to try the north end as well. We have caught a few in that area in the boat in the spring so I know they are there even though it is shallow. Hopefully me and my crew can catch a few monsters today.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:47 AM

Not gonna make it out today,little lady is felling pretty rough
Old 01-25-2010, 10:51 AM

Will there were a bunch of people set up right off the shore when we were there, doubt they were in more than 3 feet also, only saw them pull one fish out. Nice pike, I decided to try closer to home because I wasnt feeling great, ended up landing one the exact twin of yours, 100 miles away sure fun to get thru the ice. Hope it was just your blades messed up and not worse

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-25-2010, 02:44 PM

Are you guys talking about "Twin Valley Res"???? I keep hearing about Clear Lake and i am just wondering if its the same lake???
Looking through the Regs, I cant seem to find either lake???
Any help would be great.