Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2022, 07:17 AM

Default Calving and no sleep!!

She been a 48 hour ride never seen it like this dropped 48 in last 2 days only 80 more to go. Anyone wanna come help tag!
Old 03-07-2022, 07:40 AM

Holy cow!! Your bulls must be super stars!! Best of luck on the remainder and the weather doesn't get too crazy.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:44 AM

We ran 3 different bulls and put this program together. Gongshow !@

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2022, 09:19 AM

You definitely got more than your hands full. Sounds like a good success. Hope you got a got stock up of food for all involved. Couple of treats for the big guys.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:21 AM

Are you synchronizing? If so it serves you right. Lol.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-07-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Are you synchronizing? If so it serves you right. Lol.

Couple of people I know always seem to have some early arrivals, no rest for the wicked.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-07-2022, 09:26 AM

Have a couple guys here at work that are going through the same thing there are actually a hazard at work come in like zombies lol
Old 03-07-2022, 11:30 AM

Default spring calving

Spring calving, isn't that something a lot of farmers and ranchers do every spring? Yeah, you're going to have some long days ahead of you but from my perspective, calving is another form of generating income. Get some shut eye when you can.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57charlie View Post
Spring calving, isn't that something a lot of farmers and ranchers do every spring? Yeah, you're going to have some long days ahead of you but from my perspective, calving is another form of generating income. Get some shut eye when you can.
A lot of marriages get tested this time of year. Dealing with cranky cows can be hazardous to your health as well.

Grizz

Old 03-07-2022, 11:49 AM

I’ve calved over 700 at a time. No night shift there. Impossible to do.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-07-2022, 01:02 PM

Default Nearing the end

We started around Christmas and now have just 3 left to calve out out of 250 heifers. Weather was decent for most of it and helps to have a heated calving barn! That and working in shifts with family makes it more bearable
Old 03-07-2022, 01:37 PM

Buddy has his cows, about 40, all penned up near the house for calving. A few nights ago, they were woken by a weird scenario, every cow in the bunch was fighting with another and seriously. They have been together for ever and usually get along well. He finally kicked them out into the field and all quieted down again, but he was mystified, never seen anything like it before. We joked about what else could happen, the world is going to Hell.

Grizz

Old 03-07-2022, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Buddy has his cows, about 40, all penned up near the house for calving. A few nights ago, they were woken by a weird scenario, every cow in the bunch was fighting with another and seriously. They have been together for ever and usually get along well. He finally kicked them out into the field and all quieted down again, but he was mystified, never seen anything like it before. We joked about what else could happen, the world is going to Hell.

Grizz
Hobby farmers are hilarious!
Old 03-07-2022, 02:05 PM

Calved cows in January and February for 30 years. Absolutely hated getting up checking cows. Sold the purebreds back in 2008 and moved the commercial cows to calving mid April. Now they get checked at 11:00pm and if nothing is happening I go to bed until 5:00 or 6:00am.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:40 AM

No more Feb calving for me. To old. Still have cows with short tails. They didn't loose tails as calves. They lost tails as cows giving birth at stupid cold temps. See end of tail would get wet from calving and its not like she would let you dry it plus I was busy with bringing calves into house.
I have cows here that lost ends of ears as adults and they had wind breaks to. Not sure how but during calving in February. Everything had shelter and being but would leave to prepare to calve.
Everything used to try to calve at once on coldest stormiest night always..
Mine are due this year march 31 . those 575 lbs calves are great mid October but not for me anymore. Good luck you guys.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Grizz
Is it like a newer herd that he just put together?
Old 03-08-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Calved cows in January and February for 30 years. Absolutely hated getting up checking cows. Sold the purebreds back in 2008 and moved the commercial cows to calving mid April. Now they get checked at 11:00pm and if nothing is happening I go to bed until 5:00 or 6:00am.
Yup we kept changing our calving date and I have settled for may 10, no overnight checks,no frozen calves, cows calve easier as they are not penned up and are getting exercise. We wake up in the morning before field work and count the calves. Simple. The calves are also perfect size to sell the following spring
for grassers. Usually get top dollar if there is some nice rains in the south.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Is it like a newer herd that he just put together?
No, they're old buddies, that was the shocker.

Grizz

Old 03-08-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
No, they're old buddies, that was the shocker.

Grizz
What kind of cows? Alberta Outdoorsman cows? Haha thats just a joke and not directed at any individual, please nobody get mad haha
Old 03-08-2022, 12:13 PM

If we don’t start getting some decent weather I’m afraid I’ll be calving in the snow- so if any of you guys got extra straw for sale edmonton west area let me know.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Hobby farmers are hilarious!
Lol

-Billy Molls
Old 03-08-2022, 09:06 PM

When I was a kid (in Sask) we aimed for Easter... the kids had a week off school and Mom was off work. Drawing the 3AM straw was the worst.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
A lot of marriages get tested this time of year. Dealing with cranky cows can be hazardous to your health as well.

Grizz
Don't forget the cows in the field too, they can get cranky when you approach their newborns
Old 03-09-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
Don't forget the cows in the field too, they can get cranky when you approach their newborns
Just had supper at my buddy's. He got kicked in the knee last night, pulling a calf, was sure it was broken for a while. Better yet, he was showing me his video surveillance system when his wife walked in, Apparently, she had thoughts of having a pee in that corral about that time, but changed her mind.

Grizz

Old 03-09-2022, 09:47 PM

That’s why we calve on pasture. Not scared of cows, except the neighbours in his! 45 so far. Dambthe don’t like being in there!
Old 03-09-2022, 09:48 PM

In his barn!
Old 03-10-2022, 10:30 AM

No rancher gets up every 2 or 3 hours to check cows. If they can't have a calf on their own and keep it alive they go on the truck
Old 03-10-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
No rancher gets up every 2 or 3 hours to check cows. If they can't have a calf on their own and keep it alive they go on the truck
That could be an expensive policy in this weather.

Grizz

Old 03-10-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
That may work for late April - May calving but it doesn’t work with 2’ of snow on the ground and -25 at night unless they are in a barn.