Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 06:59 AM

Default Fishing spot (short walk or wheelchair accessible)

Good morning All,

Just looking for some help here.

A friend of mine has been fighting cancer for about 18 months. He got some news yesterday that we all didn't really want to hear. He's been battling hard and we knew it was just a matter of time, but it looks like it has spread and he doesn't have a ton of time.

We were chatting last night and he said he would really like to go fishing one more time. He has been busy the last few months making arraignments and figuring out stuff for his 14yr old daughter he is leaving behind.

He can walk some days, but only very short distances. He also has a wheel chair and a power scooter.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a decent spot that he may yard out a fish or two, where he doesn't have to walk a ton to get to. Besides stocked ponds I can't really think of anything else... and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be as enjoyable for him. We are in Calgary, just looking for something close.

PM me if you have any suggestions for us. I'd like to get him out this weekend if he's still up to it.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:57 AM

I'd offer to take you out in my boat, but its in getting some warranty work and I'm in Edmonton. Perhaps one of the other members could offer the same? That wouldn't confine you to the shore at least.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-14-2017, 11:08 AM

I'm aware that it gets fished hard and tends to get fished out, but Mount Lorette Ponds in Kananaskis is wheelchair accessible and is in beautiful country.

Sorry to hear about your friend, that's got to be tough to deal with.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:11 AM

Mount Lorrett Ponds is wheelchair accessible been a while since I was there but I think its about an hours drive. It may be fished out though.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:46 PM

it has been quite a few yrs since i was down there, but the Crowsnest river in the townsite might be more or less what you are looking for. we fished a spot that was on the west side of town (whatever the farthest west town is named Blairmore maybe?) that was right beside the river and i am pretty sure there was a walking path right there also. was at an S bend in the river. caught a couple of nice rainbows out of, was suprised as being right in town. someone more familiar with the river might now exactly where i am talking about and even if it has any fish left at all. other spot on the Crowsnest i can think of is where it enters the Reservoir at the big stone house. boat launch right to the river edge and had good luck there with rainbows also.
other possibility might be upper Kananaskis Lake. had good luck at the outflow to the lower lake. there was a nice parking lot there, i don't think it was that far of a walk to the lake there, been awhile since i was there.

couple of maybe options for you to think about. don't know if they are exactly what you were looking for or the type of fishing he is looking for either but hope it helps to give him one last experiance.

best of luck
Mike

good luck
Old 09-14-2017, 10:53 PM

I think private lakes in Calgary might be a good bet....if u or he knows of anyone living in those communities it would be a start.....carbon park would be a shot if u wanna just sit and use bait.....if u take the trunk road u cross some bridges....easy to get in and toss a fly

Sorry about ur buddy....that sucks.....gl

Happy
Old 09-14-2017, 11:13 PM

sorry for your pal. maybe try one of the docks at glenmore reservoir ? it is just a short drive .
I am not sure of the regs there .sorry.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:54 AM
Banned

I would go to Chain lakes, it is accessible and plenty of action with resident rainbow trout.
Bring corn or worms and you're golden. Good burger place in black Diamond on return trip.

P.s. you will not be able to fish off of docks at Glenmore, and action is veeeeeery sloooow.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:05 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm going to let him know and see where he wants to go. As long as the rain holds up this weekend we should be good to go!

Thanks again!