Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-16-2011, 08:16 PM

Default Good Fishing Rod for 7 yr old

Hey Guys,
Looking for a small good fishing rod for my 7 year old. Looking for something that will last (not like the $20 kids rods at crappy tire). Not sure if they even exist, but would like one that broke down into more than 2 parts, so she can put it in her backpack and not stick out too far. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks,
Mike
Old 06-16-2011, 08:27 PM

I got my son an Ugly Stik from BassPro with a spincast reel. I think it is 5 1/2 feet long. It is a 2 piece. This was the second one I got him as the first was garbage and the reel would always slip. It was another brand with a tiny underspin reel. This one has been very reliable and caught a few big fish. He seems to handle it well. (He is 7, but I got it when he was 6). I am very pleased with it

Only problem for you is it is a 2 piece.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Banned

I just PM'd you
Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 PM

those eclipse rods are pretty good for $20.00 comes with a decent reel, split grip rod, and its orange in case they misplace it. Its also 2 peices and can be purchased at your local Walmart.

Ugly sticks are a good choice when your kids are a bit stronger, there more bulky/heavey.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:24 PM

Can't go wrong with an ugly stick rod. You can bend the crap out of them. they are indestructable...I mean a kid can step or sit on it and it will be just fine.

Also get a cheap yet good quality reel like a shimano Syncopate or a Sienna. It shouldnt fall apart.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike'n'walleye View Post
can't go wrong with an ugly stick rod. You can bend the crap out of them. They are indestructable...i mean a kid can step or sit on it and it will be just fine.

Also get a cheap yet good quality reel like a shimano syncopate or a sienna. It shouldnt fall apart.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 PM

I don't know, the kid with the Scooby Doo rod out on the dock always seems to catch the biggest fish!
Have Fun!

BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD

GHANDI
Old 06-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.mcrae View Post
Hey Guys,
Looking for a small good fishing rod for my 7 year old. Looking for something that will last (not like the $20 kids rods at crappy tire). Not sure if they even exist, but would like one that broke down into more than 2 parts, so she can put it in her backpack and not stick out too far. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks,
Mike
check this out

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...015&d=01&c=015

RHF
Old 06-16-2011, 10:08 PM

Just my 2 cents worth. Ugly stick are tough and I've even seen pink one's of late. You said something that will last. It's been my experience that kids just aren't concerned about rod care the way we older folk are. I would go cheap cause it will get broken in all likelihood. That's not a slam against kids, they just aren't as cautious. For a reel I would strongly suggest a closed face reel of some kind. Took me a long time to figure that out but young kids don't stop reeling just because there are 12 line wraps on the wrong end of the reel and seven more wraps around the handle. Since I started outfitting the younger ones with closed face reels they've spent much more time with their hook in the water and frankly, so have I. Good luck and I hope you get her hooked. Rick.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Banned

Got my grandson an ugly stick junior and a Rhino SZ2 reel (double pick up pins). If you get a spincast reel make sure it has double pick up pins for the line, works much better for the kids.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 PM

Pick him up this rod
http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...LASSG=012&D=01
and this reel the middle one , http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...LASSG=022&D=02

and you get it spooled with 50 lb power pro or that Suffix 832 stuff , and your laughin . My sister ran that rod and reel for years until she told me she wanted to use a spinning reel .

Not sure if thats his case .

But this rod and reel in a spinning reel is nice .

Id get the last one of this link
https://www.thefishinhole.com/index....TERBYPRICE=AND retailPrice is not null

and this reel .

Quantum Pulse , if you can find them if not the Array is good to https://www.thefishinhole.com/index....TERBYPRICE=AND retailPrice is not null&SORTPRODUCTSBY=ASC
Old 06-17-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike'n'walleye View Post
Can't go wrong with an ugly stick rod. You can bend the crap out of them. they are indestructable...I mean a kid can step or sit on it and it will be just fine.

Also get a cheap yet good quality reel like a shimano Syncopate or a Sienna. It shouldnt fall apart.
X3

My wife has a 7'0 pink one
I have a 7'0 black one
and my 4 year old has a 6'0 one.

Remember kids don't give a crap about sensitivty or kick. Just make sure if they hook a tree branch or a big log that they are able to work the snag loose.

As for a reel. I use to think that closed face reels were the only option for kids until they were older... My 4 yr old proved me wrong and is casting just fine with an open face spinning reel.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:01 AM

UGLY STICK ALL THE WAY!

Indestructible, and will definitely last the test of time, and childhood!
Old 06-17-2011, 12:37 PM

I just bought my neice a 5'6" lady fish spincast combo by shakespeare from the fishin hole for $35. Even comes loaded with 8lb stren mono ready to go.

She's also 7 and loved it. It was pink and even had a cork handle. Will work great for your little girl.

You could also go ugly stick but you'll pay more.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:44 PM

I would recommend ugly stick, I have one that's still sitting in my garage from my 6th birthday, I caught so many fish on that rod.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:16 AM

Default Options

Ugly Stick or an Eagle Claw Pack Rod.
Johnson Century or Mid-sized Rhino SpinCast Reel.

Tags
fishing, kids, rod, small