Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2018, 05:07 PM

Default Trans mountain pipeline on hold mega thread

Yes that’s right kinder Morgan is suspending all non essential work immediately. KM needs clarity from the various governments
Old 04-08-2018, 05:10 PM

Looks like the BC tourism industry won’t be getting any of my money any time soon.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:11 PM

Various governments need to hear loud & clear from their constituents.

Sounds to me like a very good time for them to shut down the existing pipeline to Van for some extended maintenance. They can cite safety issues and be untouchable on the matter, bypass the empty threats that Notley was telling and get down to showing BC not to bite the hands that fuel them.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:16 PM

I just finished watching the live feed of Notley's press conference.
Here are the highlights:

She will enact additional legislation in the next few weeks aimed at countering BC's interference with progressing the pipeline. She did not elaborate as to what that looked like or what that comprised.

She made a reference to Kinder Morgan's corporate office in Texas and suggested that while BC may think they can "mess with Texas they can't mess with Alberta".

She said her govt is prepared and has already looked into using "public money" to purchase large amounts of shares in the company (Kinder Morgan) in order to help bolster confidence and provide more weight and support in this fight against BC.

She also said she got off the phone with Trudeau just before the news conference and that he once again stated assurances that the pipeline would be built. Notley stated she told him to hurry up with federal involvement.

That's about it in a nutshell.......
Old 04-08-2018, 05:16 PM

Time for the PM to put up or shut up. Enough lip service about supporting it, tell BC to take a flying leap.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-08-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Time for the PM to put up or shut up. Enough lip service about supporting it, tell BC to take a flying leap.

And that right there is all that needs said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2018, 05:41 PM
Gone Hunting

So, instead of shutting a valve or telling her good friend Horgan where the bear craps in the buckbrush...she's going to enact "legislation in the next few weeks"...and use taxpayer money to buy shares in KM?...really?....wow!..what a leader....
Old 04-08-2018, 05:46 PM

Default Your right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
So, instead of shutting a valve or telling her good friend Horgan where the bear craps in the buckbrush...she's going to enact "legislation in the next few weeks"...and use taxpayer money to buy shares in KM?...really?....wow!..what a leader....
It’s just as though the Alberta provincial and Canadian federal government don’t really want the pipeline to go through. They just do a little song and dance.

I honestly believe we will not see that pipeline or any other while these governments are in power.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:59 PM

- BC summer trip was just cancelled, we can travel Alberta
- Won’t be buying anything by choice from BC from now on

Simple as that
Old 04-08-2018, 06:02 PM

The silliest thing about this entire argument is that pipelines are "bad for the environment" yet, the oil will still flow to the coast using conventional transportation means such as rail and trucks, which, ironically, burn polluting fossil fuels and have higher rates of spills compared to pipelines. Pipelines remain to be the safest way to move hydrocarbons from an environmental impact perspective.

All these that environmentalists are doing is eroding margins, and effectively reducing the government's revenues, and putting further strain across the entire country and our economy.

The impact to Alberta, of course, also includes all the work this pipeline creates as well.

Again, more people off EI here in Alberta and more people paying taxes here with good jobs helps the entire country.

The opposition to this pipeline is completely senseless.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
What I thought too and I am no oil and gas guy. Shut the tap off and let BC suffer.

As for Trudeau, nothing but lip service.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:18 PM
Gone Hunting

I wonder if all the protesters will move over to the VCR airport to protest the pipeline they are building for jet fuel? I get the feeling that this is KM saying "enough of this BS, enact the laws that are in place"
Old 04-08-2018, 06:22 PM

Pretty sure this was the plan all along.
I'll bet this is what the meeting a few months ago sounded like...
Trudeau:
"OK, so Horgan, you oppose this pipeline openly for all to see. You're citizens will love you.
Notley, you pretend you're all for the pipeline and threaten Horgan, but nothing too haste or too serious. Your citizens will love you.
Meanwhile, I'll run around telling everyone that I could force it if I needed to while I snap a few selfies with people from both sides, but I won't do anything. I'll just stall until Kinder Morgan gets ****ed off and pulls the pin."
Old 04-08-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Agreed -- just not in her depth for quick business decisions

The way she and Trudope are working this smells like a game to protect the Lib seats in the lower mainland, have Notley look good like she fought for something and the BC NDP not lose to much face.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:30 PM

Sometimes I just don't get what is going on with the bigger picture here. One freakin' pipeline is pitting two provinces at each other's throats. It actually pains me how sad this whole situation is.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:33 PM
Banned

Turdeau just breathed a huge sigh of relief, this is exactly what he wanted. He can pretend he supported it all he wants, fact is his foot dragging and refusal to push this through and tell Horgan to STFU and deal with it was proof positive he does not support it. Now he can tell the media that is was KM, not him who shut it down even though he "supported it". This is the second time this has happened to major energy projects with Turdeau at the helm.

The BC hipsters, perpetually unemployed anti-oil protest bums and old Horse face Lizzie May are jumping for joy this evening.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
Turdeau just breathed a huge sigh of relief, this is exactly what he wanted. He can pretend he supported it all he wants, fact is his foot dragging and refusal to push this through and tell Horgan to STFU and deal with it was proof positive he does not support it. Now he can tell the media that is was KM, not him who shut it down even though he "supported it". This is the second time this has happened to major energy projects with Turdeau at the helm.

The BC hipsters, perpetually unemployed anti-oil protest bums and old Horse face Lizzie May are jumping for joy this evening.
All three governments got what they wanted.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-08-2018, 07:01 PM

Default May 31 deadline.

http://calgarysun.com/news/politics/...e-4c309ca559a5

Then project may be stopped.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-08-2018, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
All three governments got what they wanted.
Yep.

The NDP in Alberta were not keen on this getting approved either.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:07 PM

Seems political.... meat ball was out there a few days ago now its suspended.

Kinder morgans last chance to canada to get our stuff aligned. This thing has been punted around since 2013 so it isnt just the current gov either dithering. Its just canada letting the provinces and markets buck.

Trump slapped mlps in the usa with new tax rules to boot so kinder morgan being the largest or one of the largest pipeline mlp corps is probably not happy....why fight with canada when you can save about 7 billion dollars trying to build something that may not actually finish? Run the pipeline thats currently always fully booked and make a decent return
Old 04-08-2018, 07:07 PM

Default Pipeline

If this project is canceled a legitimate discussion should begin for the separation of Alberta from Canada. Their will truly be no reason to stay in a country that dumps on one particular province any chance it gets.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Yep.

The NDP in Alberta were not keen on this getting approved either.
Of coarse not.
And anyone that says that Notley is pro-pipeline needs to be reminded of who she filled her advisory council with (anti-pipeline lobbyists), and who Rachel Notley was mere months before getting elected (a pipeline protester).
Amazing what 3 seats can do to an entire country.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:13 PM

This could legitimately crash our stock market. Hold on boys tomorrow could be a wild ride...
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 04-08-2018, 07:25 PM

It will go through eventually, either there will be a massive amount of money exchanging hands, or a hell of a lot less. We will all lose over this garbage and in the end it will happen. Just a prediction.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-08-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
This could legitimately crash our stock market. Hold on boys tomorrow could be a wild ride...
How will a single (minor) event crash it? I am not into the SM so legitimately asking. I do not understand the logic, it is not like Canada's economy is based on the next pipeline.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-08-2018, 07:47 PM
Banned

Time to buy shares in kindermorgan (KMI) because if notley govt buys enough shares to have a say in the company it will sky rocket imo
Old 04-08-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Sometimes I just don't get what is going on with the bigger picture here. One freakin' pipeline is pitting two provinces at each other's throats. It actually pains me how sad this whole situation is.
The bigger picture, well the US buys our oil cheaper than they should and sells it at a big profit...they make billions. They don't want that little gravy train to end. So unbeknownst to many they scuttled our election...Harper out and Justin in. Then, pay off Justin under the table to make sure our oil keeps flowing south and not to the global markets. Justin scuttles the pipelines through a thousand cuts.

In the end albertans are screwed big time which is good to Justin because we hated his father and we hate him, he also hates the west equally, something that he's pretty much admitted to.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
How will a single (minor) event crash it? I am not into the SM so legitimately asking. I do not understand the logic, it is not like Canada's economy is based on the next pipeline.
It won't crash it, but it will probably take a turn. Canada's economy is not based in one pipeline; it is based on foreign investment. Canada relies heavily on Large Multinational Corporations. None of which are going to invest in a country where if you follow every rule, get every permit, agree to all the demands, begin construction and are then told nah, you can't do business in this country; all those agreements we aren't worth the a damn thing.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:11 PM

Ever notice the usa doesnt count mexican and canadian oil as imports? Lol

Pitifull situation, the size of oilsand production was expected to be very high well over a decade ago and no one tried to start proposing any new pipeline ideas until the bitumin bubble in 2011-2012
Old 04-08-2018, 08:40 PM

NDP budget just Blew up.