Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-25-2023, 11:28 AM

Default Shotcam camera mounted on a bow

Fellow bowhunters....

has anyone used the Shotcam camera on a bow and any feedback on how well it works? The new Shotcam 4 has 8x zoom and 128GB memory. However i wonder if like the "tactacam" ...when mounted to a bow there is a tendency for the camera to "jump" upon release often taking the camera off target.

Considering to use to record bow hunts and review arrow flight

thanks in advance, Mark
Old 07-25-2023, 07:46 PM

I can't speak to bow hunting but I have the Gen 3 Shotkam, Gen 4 Shotkam and 2 of the Tactacams and the Shotkams are far superior units. The zoom feature on the Gen 4 has recomnended settings depending what you are shooting at. Both it and the Gen 3 have settings for clay targets, flying birds, large and small game, rifle or shotgun. I can't imagine given the FOV in it that it would jump off target with a bow. They are very stable. There is alot of muzzle jump with rifles and shotguns and it holds pretty steady.
The link I posted is using the Gen 4 on my 12ga Browning Maxus on the recommended setting for clays shooting which I believe is 3X zoom if memory serves?

https://youtu.be/PcsNKq5waaM
Old 07-26-2023, 07:15 AM

Default Shotkam

I can't speak to bow hunting but I have the Gen 3 Shotkam, Gen 4 Shotkam and 2 of the Tactacams and the Shotkams are far superior units. The zoom feature on the Gen 4 has recomnended settings depending what you are shooting at. Both it and the Gen 3 have settings for clay targets, flying birds, large and small game, rifle or shotgun. I can't imagine given the FOV in it that it would jump off target with a bow. They are very stable. There is alot of muzzle jump with rifles and shotguns and it holds pretty steady.
The link I posted is using the Gen 4 on my 12ga Browning Maxus on the recommended setting for clays shooting which I believe is 3X zoom if memory serves?

https://youtu.be/PcsNKq5waaM[/QUOTE]

Thanks Frank
Old 07-26-2023, 08:51 AM

][/QUOTE]Thanks Frank[/QUOTE]

Any time. If you're in Lloyd and want to try it out send me a PM to meet up. I have 12ga and 20ga mounts for both. Possibly one would fit on a bow stabilizer?
Old 07-26-2023, 12:02 PM

I have tried the stabilizer method and prefer a go pro on a head strap. Your bow should slightly fall forward or rotate back on the shot, if not you are probably torquing your bow with a death grip.

With the head mount, after the shot just keep adjusting your bow stance/foot placement like you are continually at the deer, and you will have great footage.
Old 07-26-2023, 10:17 PM

Default shotkam

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I have tried the stabilizer method and prefer a go pro on a head strap. Your bow should slightly fall forward or rotate back on the shot, if not you are probably torquing your bow with a death grip.

With the head mount, after the shot just keep adjusting your bow stance/foot placement like you are continually at the deer, and you will have great footage.
Yes i used a tactical on the bow but it didn't do so well then i tried a go pro 7 mounted on the bow and it worked ok but lacked zoom, hence i enquired about the shotkam with 8x zoom.

thx
Old 07-27-2023, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcnr View Post
Yes i used a tactical on the bow but it didn't do so well then i tried a go pro 7 mounted on the bow and it worked ok but lacked zoom, hence i enquired about the shotkam with 8x zoom.

thx
Tactacam has a new unit out with up to 8x zoom and less $ than the Shotkam. Might be a better option for a bow than a Shotkam.

https://www.tactacam.com/
Old 08-01-2023, 09:12 AM

Default Shotkam

Thanks for the tip and I will review that and the price difference.

Mark
Old 08-10-2023, 06:13 PM

This is so timely! I was just about to buy the bracket for the Tactacam to try. Thanks everyone!
Old 08-17-2023, 07:51 PM

When you shoot your bow all the moving parts and going to cause vibrations making that expensive tactacam footage pretty terrible and bouncing around especially on 8x. Find a way to mount a camera on you not your bow. I know I tryed tactacam and sold it because the footage was so poor and came to the conclusion a partner acting as a camera man is best.