Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-04-2018, 10:14 AM

Default Amberg vs Senneker power snares

Thinking of making the switch to power snares this year. Anyone provide input on the pros and cons between each setup and why they like or dislike? I've read great things about both.
Thanks all
Old 01-04-2018, 10:47 AM

In the conditions I snare in, the two can't even begin to be compared. Alberta Power Snare is the latest technology compared to the old. I would never consider using anything but the APS system there is that much difference. Since switching to the Magnum springs its even more efficient, again in my environment it equates to Spalt, a very quick dispatch which is what we all want to be striving for.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:43 PM

Default Amberg versus Sennecker Power Snares

IMHO both have their place in snaring with the coil spring more so to timbered areas where it is possible to tie HIGH and SOLID. With the coil spring you want it to set up high on the neck where the arteries are closes to the skin. Thus you want to tie off so the snare forms a 45 degree from the tie point to the neck of the animal. With the Sennecker system I understand this is not necessary as the kill spring has enough power to close off the arteries when clamped tight anywhere on the neck as long as it is tied off SOLID, no give or flexing.

In conclusion I have had many down and dead, with little or no entanglement, at the end of my snare.
with minimal area disturbance thus allowing the location to be reused. Thus the effective use of either is dependent or how you set each system up.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Banned

I use both a kill spring and entanglement in my sets, kind of a double whammy. First the kill spring goes off and then they get tangled up. I set on sign so if the coyotes shy away from a catch site I set another snare on their new trail if there's not already a snare on it. In some locations I get multiple catches at the same spot regardless of any disturbance. There are only so many ways into the bait in thicker bush and my yotes don't seem to mind a little disturbance. I guess what it comes down to is paying attention to what the coyotes do and don't do in your area and adjusting your tactics as required.