Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 11:50 PM

The registered system is in place for an individual to manage a resource. By allowing uncontrolled trapping in an area by multiple individuals the resource would be quickly depleted. The RTL in my opinion is the best system to manage the resource. 10k net annually is a very reasonable goal on a well managed line.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:52 AM

He is just goating you guys.
This reminds me of a 900 coyote skinned a day fella. Most of you guys remember that fellow.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
Your unbelievable. Here you say you want a free for all so anyone can trap where ever and what ever they want. This would decimate the furbearing population Alberta wide. Now in the hunting thread your chastising people who happen to take a doe or fawn fearing the decimation of the deer herd. Sorry Wabbit no one is gonna take you serious since you seem to be pushing your own personal agenda.
As a moderator I expect you to be somewhat better informed. I have never once suggested I want a free for all for managing fur bearers in Alberta. I want fairness and sustainability. In the US animals which need to be on quota are, with each individual trapper receiving his fair share of the available animals. This has proven very successful with animals like fisher and martin, wolverine, etc. Everyone gets their fair share and populations are generally increasing every year. It is the farthest thing from a free for all, in fact its intensive management just like we have here for big game and fish. The rich do not have an upper hand and don't have their own private wilderness retreat. I have a friend in Montana and he loves the freedom to trap where he pleases and does not fear the competition because he is a trapper not an oil executive or businessman. Fur bearers are not decimated just as resident trappers haven't decimated them here. Registered trappers here are subject to the same quota restrictions so obviously they are no better informed than the ordinary public.

I am not fearing the decimation of a deer herd, I am seeing it and living it, and have explained how bogus the reasons are for the decline.

I challenge you to explain what my personal agenda is. I find your remark uncalled for and very demeaning. What is my agenda?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymac View Post
The registered system is in place for an individual to manage a resource. By allowing uncontrolled trapping in an area by multiple individuals the resource would be quickly depleted. The RTL in my opinion is the best system to manage the resource. 10k net annually is a very reasonable goal on a well managed line.
I have asked several time for a breakdown of catch and costs on average which will provide a 10 K net profit. Years ago with high lynx and coyote prices and low costs this was doable. Now I don't see it and wish someone would give me an example.

Individuals are not managing furbearers the government is.

Last edited by Rabbit Snarer; 10-08-2014 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-08-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Snarer View Post
As a moderator I expect you to be somewhat better informed. I have never once suggested I want a free for all for managing fur bearers in Alberta. I want fairness and sustainability. In the US animals which need to be on quota are, with each individual trapper receiving his fair share of the available animals. This has proven very successful with animals like fisher and martin, wolverine, etc. Everyone gets their fair share and populations are generally increasing every year. It is the farthest thing from a free for all, in fact its intensive management just like we have here for big game and fish. The rich do not have an upper hand and don't have their own private wilderness retreat. I have a friend in Montana and he loves the freedom to trap where he pleases and does not fear the competition because he is a trapper not an oil executive or businessman. Fur bearers are not decimated just as resident trappers haven't decimated them here. Registered trappers here are subject to the same quota restrictions so obviously they are no better informed than the ordinary public.

I am not fearing the decimation of a deer herd, I am seeing it and living it, and have explained how bogus the reasons are for the decline.

I challenge you to explain what my personal agenda is. I find your remark uncalled for and very demeaning. What is my agenda?
THE RICH? Man you just have jealous troll written all over you, go climb back under your rock already
Old 10-08-2014, 04:56 PM

Agenda? To troll and annoy!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-08-2014, 04:57 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=moose maniac;2573752]THE RICH? Man you just have jealous troll written all over you, go climb back under your rock already[/QU
If you are happy with the right to trap being given to the person with the most money thats fine with me. I'm not, I think all Albertans should have the right to a public resource, just like hunting and fishing, it has nothing to do with jealously.

What does "go climb back under your rock already" mean?
Old 10-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Agenda? To troll and annoy!
If trapping was an important source of income for most people as it was in my day the allocation of rights to the most deserving was more acceptable and kept many families with clothes on their back. Trapping is a recreation today and I think thats good, because it means people are much better off. Because it is recreational and wildlife does belong to all Albertans I think it should be available to everyone not just a few with the rich taking precedence over all others.

This opinion is not trolling and is not brought forward to annoy people. I have believed for years the government has been extremely lax in managing traplines.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:25 PM

Over and over again it has been stated, any one who wants to trap can, and you don't need a line for 60k to do it. Which part of that are you not picking up?
Old 10-08-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
THE RICH? Man you just have jealous troll written all over you, go climb back under your rock already
sg6FI3w.jpg

Rabbit Snarer Please read. This is what you are being associated with.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:26 PM

Is this the trapping section or the fishing section
Old 10-08-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
If trapping was an important source of income for most people as it was in my day the allocation of rights to the most deserving was more acceptable and kept many families with clothes on their back. Trapping is a recreation today and I think thats good, because it means people are much better off. Because it is recreational and wildlife does belong to all Albertans I think it should be available to everyone not just a few with the rich taking precedence over all others.

This opinion is not trolling and is not brought forward to annoy people. I have believed for years the government has been extremely lax in managing traplines.
That is your clearest and most concise thought you have had on this thread. I agree with you on the principle of animals (including class a furberers) belonging to all ALBERTANS. Unfortunately if trapping and trap lines were managed like the resident hunting system we would have major problems. The opportunity exists for anyone with an interest in trapping to get a resident license or network their way into a partnership. This part of the system works. What is broken about the system is the lack of accountability when it comes to maintaining trapping on a RFMA. Some type of reasonable effort should be mandatory on all registered lines. The crown retains the right to choose not to renew a RFMA permit and in my opinion should exercise this right when a misuse situations are evident.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:33 PM

Its happened a few times now..... I agree with Drake again. Not sure whats going on here..... I think the end of days is near....
Old 10-08-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
I do not agree with $200000 trapline. Then best part is no one has bought that stuff on the line for $200000 because it is absurd. I am not trying to cause a fight but states model would ruin things. In Ontario they have a quota system on beavers and a lodge count and so many beaver have to be trapped. I don't think a quota system is good either. I personally think that if your line hasn't been trapped for more than 2 years maybe it should be available for someone else. At least with a two year limit then more people may need junior trappers. Then the lines would at least be trapped.

If I am out in left field than so be it.
I won't comment any further so you have the last word this is the wrong thread I should have revived a previous one.
I am in agreement also with this.

Do I trap? No
Would I like to trap? Yes
Can I afford a Trapline? Yes
Can I commit to trapping if a line was purchased by me? No (Reason first one is a No)
Am I a Junior? No, because of not being able to commit as much as I feel is required.

What about the people that own more than 1 Trapline that don't even trap or have cabins nicer than a lot of peoples houses who purchase furs on the side to sell so it looks like they have been trapping? Is this right?

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but I have the image of the more Northern Bushman Trapper.....the kind that left home years ago in the fall and returned home in the spring with his ol' 250 Elan with no seat on it and a wooden sleigh full of furs. The kind that had 3 little log shacks scattered across his line which didn't even have locks on them.

Not the recreational 4 days here, 2 there type of trapper. As someone mentioned earlier....buying a line here is getting to be where Realtors are involved.

I'm not sure where the happy medium is on this one as I don't know enough of the political side to voice an opinion....all I can say is that in my eyes "Traditional Trappers" are of a dyeing breed (I do realize times are in fact changing too)....even the way most guys hunt.

Oh well, when the big one comes my way and I can say to hell with everything I'll be looking for a line that can be trapped the way it was 50 - 100 years ago.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:37 PM

[QUOTE=Rabbit Snarer;2573856]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
THE RICH? Man you just have jealous troll written all over you, go climb back under your rock already[/QU
If you are happy with the right to trap being given to the person with the most money thats fine with me. I'm not, I think all Albertans should have the right to a public resource, just like hunting and fishing, it has nothing to do with jealously.

What does "go climb back under your rock already" mean?
You climbed out you can climb back in or slither whatever you prefer.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Banned

Everyone [except me] agrees that the principle of a registered trapline which makes them so effective is that one person is responsible for their management and is thus accountable. It follows then that allocation of the line should be by lottery with the previous owner only receiving his investment in equipment etc back. [which is the way it's supposed to be now] The applicants would have to qualify as a trapper.

This would at least put all trappers on a level playing field and take the money issue out of it, but it would be much better to allow all Albertans a share of an equal pie.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:22 PM

You have one point right, but that's about it!! Costs of the lines! But your assumption that registered trappers are rich, is totally out to lunch, just like the rest of your arguement! When you gonna give it up! You have stated your point! Nearly nobody agrees with you! Bit you keep spewing your rhetoric over and over again! The system works for the most part except for srd not policing the proper line usage and the rediculous prices of some recreational lines!

The fact is that everyone does have the same rights! Anyone can be a resident trapper, anyone can purchase a line, anyone can become a jr! Explain how these equal opportunities are, ( wait for it.... Your favourite term.... "Not fair"

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Everyone [except me] agrees that the principle of a registered trapline which makes them so effective is that one person is responsible for their management and is thus accountable. It follows then that allocation of the line should be by lottery with the previous owner only receiving his investment in equipment etc back. [which is the way it's supposed to be now] The applicants would have to qualify as a trapper.

This would at least put all trappers on a level playing field and take the money issue out of it, but it would be much better to allow all Albertans a share of an equal pie.
You should go find yourself a nice communist country where you can be equal with everybody and not have to work for everything.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
You should go find yourself a nice communist country where you can be equal with everybody and not have to work for everything.
Wow I was just thinking the same thing! He seems very communist like attitude!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Banned

Communist? next racist - then homophobe.....................

Why is everyone avoiding the concept of allocation by lottery to qualified people? Is Tork right that money is what talks? Nothing else?
Old 10-08-2014, 08:35 PM

Because allocation is not an option! Why don't we come up with other ideas that aren't options. Why do we need to appease you and your ideas! Like I said before you are barking up the wrong tree! We according to you are all rich oil tycoons that own trap lines and do trap them seriously. I'm done with you, it is like arguing with a four year old!! " not fair"

You seem to think people on here owe you an explanation. We don't owe you any explanation! Why should anyone here prove to you how much they make on a line! What I do or don't do on our trapline isn't business, not yours !

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-08-2014, 08:35 PM

Default Rant On

Trap or don't trap,just let us who wish to, do so in peace,Cheers
Old 10-08-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Communist? next racist - then homophobe.....................

Why is everyone avoiding the concept of allocation by lottery to qualified people? Is Tork right that money is what talks? Nothing else?
What's next allocations of houses? Trucks? What you are wanting is to be given something for nothing , just because you want it. Sorry buddy Alberta just isn't run that way. If you want it, work for it. Simple. If you don't want it there are lots of other options.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:13 PM

And then there was that sweet silence that is usually the trapping section ! We now return to dreaming of sets and and everyone being helpful and happy again !
Old 10-08-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
And then there was that sweet silence that is usually the trapping section ! We now return to dreaming of sets and and everyone being helpful and happy again !

Hope you are right this forum is getting too much like the fishing forum! You can't ask a question there without being attacked

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
and with that said this thread is put to bed.