Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2019, 04:01 PM

Default statins

Anyone have much insight in taking statins for high cholesterol. For the last ten years I have resisted going on a statin from the negative reviews such as memory loss and sore muscles. My sister was on one and her legs hurt so bad from it that she had a hard time getting out of a car. They put her on a different statin which seemed better but who knows.
On the other hand I have spent lots of time the last 7 years visiting my mother in a long term care facility. On the dementia wing which she was on you see lots of people who had strokes then ended up with dementia.
The doctors want you to go on a statin but does it do any good that is the question?
Old 04-19-2019, 04:08 PM

All I can comment is i had a mild heart attack 7 years ago and was put on a light dosage of a statin as part of my heart health management plan. Still here, physically able and I think I am still of sound mind. (Others may tell you different )
Change your diet with exercise and you might avoid starting a statin. Foods can make a difference.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-19-2019, 05:12 PM

A lot in the choice depends on your body's make up. For what ever reason some people just have levels of bad cholesterol no matter how well they mange their diet or how much exercise they get. It is a fallacy that only obese people have bad cholesterol.

I have been on cholesterol med's for about 30 years. Control of diet and exercise keeps the dosage down but not eliminated. I even tried vegan and it did not make a difference. I did a program of diet and exercise with repeated testing over a one year period that established a base line.

I would suggest planning a diet / exercise / test plan with your doctor to see if you can make a difference in your personal health with changes. This would give you information, how far you would have to go and whether you felt you could keep it up. This is very important as changing diet for the long term is hard and as I mentioned maybe diet is not the deciding factor maybe it is your genetics. Also get a couple of opinions --- it is your body so do the research on the doctors as well as some prescribe pills as the first choice.

For leg pains I do get some at times. Trick is lot's of hydration for me. Looking into the future is wise -- a stroke is a life changer so taking precautions is wise.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:14 PM

I've been on a statin for many years now. My family has a history of heart attacks and strokes, so when my blood cholesterol started rising, my doctor put me on them. I am aware of the side-effects but have not experienced them myself. There is a fairly large variety so you should work with your doctor to find what works best for you. I've kept my cholesterol controlled with statins. I also watch my diet, stay active and exercise regularly. No guarantee but stats show statins definitely increase the odds of living longer in your favor.

My older brother always boasted that he didn't need cholesterol drugs because he figured his cholesterol was low since he was slim and trim (unlike me). Well, he had to have a quadruple bypass heart surgery, and then a couple of years later, he suffered a severe stroke that affected his speech and mobility. It wasn't long before he died from the complications. It wasn't pretty.

Statins are one of the many reasons people live longer than they used to. Why would you deny yourself that opportunity?
Old 04-19-2019, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Anyone have much insight in taking statins for high cholesterol. For the last ten years I have resisted going on a statin from the negative reviews such as memory loss and sore muscles. My sister was on one and her legs hurt so bad from it that she had a hard time getting out of a car. They put her on a different statin which seemed better but who knows.
On the other hand I have spent lots of time the last 7 years visiting my mother in a long term care facility. On the dementia wing which she was on you see lots of people who had strokes then ended up with dementia.
The doctors want you to go on a statin but does it do any good that is the question?
I'm NOT a DR, but have a look at the KETO lifestyle. Google KETO/Statin and you will see interesting results. See if this link helps https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/cholesterol-basics

One more https://www.dietdoctor.com/should-you-be-on-statins

Last edited by RandyBoBandy; 04-19-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
A lot in the choice depends on your body's make up. For what ever reason some people just have levels of bad cholesterol no matter how well they mange their diet or how much exercise they get. It is a fallacy that only obese people have bad cholesterol.

I have been on cholesterol med's for about 30 years. Control of diet and exercise keeps the dosage down but not eliminated. I even tried vegan and it did not make a difference. I did a program of diet and exercise with repeated testing over a one year period that established a base line.

I would suggest planning a diet / exercise / test plan with your doctor to see if you can make a difference in your personal health with changes. This would give you information, how far you would have to go and whether you felt you could keep it up. This is very important as changing diet for the long term is hard and as I mentioned maybe diet is not the deciding factor maybe it is your genetics. Also get a couple of opinions --- it is your body so do the research on the doctors as well as some prescribe pills as the first choice.

For leg pains I do get some at times. Trick is lot's of hydration for me. Looking into the future is wise -- a stroke is a life changer so taking precautions is wise.
Well said. Genetics can be a factor for sure.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-19-2019, 06:32 PM
Banned

Unfortunately Doctors know SFA about planning diets...best for you to hire a Registered DIETITIAN
Old 04-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Banned

Been on statins for a couple years now. I have noticed a bit of knee joint pain, but as I’m 65 don’t really know if it’s the drug or just age related.
But as I had my kids late in life (have a 15 and 18 year old) I figure that a bit of joint pain is nothing if it prevents a heart attack or stroke and not being around for my boys.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Well said. Genetics can be a factor for sure.
Both DR's I talk to say genetics are the major factor.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:36 PM

There are many variations of statins. Once prescribed , pay extra close attention to your body. If you feel adverse effects, tell your doc and he will set you up with another. Seems to me they mostly start out with Lipitor....but I know lots of people who couldn't take that one....myself included.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:41 AM

I am pretty much off of mine. Now taking Omega 3 & CQ10, Cholest-all Red yeast rice and berberine. I won't get another blood test until next January so will see I guess. On another note my friend is 77. Skinny, looks healthy, perfect numbers of good colesterol. Last Sat he had a heart attack. One vein 100%, two or 3 at 80% and one at 70%. Goes to show that not in every case does a blood test tell the story. He gets operated on Tuesday. I hope he makes it.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:46 AM

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ice#what-it-is
Old 04-20-2019, 03:01 AM

I managed to control cholesterol levels with diet and exercise for a few years before it started to catch up to me. When the total got to 7.0 mmol/L my doc strongly recommended statins and I started taking Lipitor. That was 2003 and I still take one every day with no issues (now generic atorvastatin; same thing, cheaper). The annual tests are always around 3.2 mmol/L total and 1.2 mmol/L HDL, which is about as good as it gets.

Some people get muscle pain and should switch to something else before muscle damage occurs. Let your doc know right away if that happens.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:05 AM

I managed to control cholesterol levels with diet and exercise for a few years before it started to catch up to me. When the serum cholesterol total got to 7.0 mmol/L my doc strongly recommended statins and I started taking Lipitor. That was 2003 and I still take one every day with no issues (now generic atorvastatin; same thing, cheaper). The annual tests are always around 3.2 mmol/L total and 1.2 mmol/L HDL, which is about as good as it gets.

Some people get muscle pain and should switch to something else before muscle damage occurs. Let your doc know right away if that happens.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:17 AM

I have been on statins for years, 18 at most, and I am on Lipitor and 20mg a day. I will not take more because of mussle problems, and so far, no problem.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:59 AM

Doc put me on Crestor at 20 years old and I remained on them for 23 years!! All kinds of random aches and pains throughout my body. So much so with abdominal pain they looked multiple times with scans to find something without ever finding anything. So I associated it with the crestor side effects and carried on with life hoping that the random pains were nothing serious. My last physical had some liver enzymes and blood sugars/fats higher than normal. They looked a little closer and found fatty deposits in my liver. Not good. I am not fat or out of shape and I am a social drinker. I watched a few videos about diabetes, cholesterol and statins and how they are related any decided to quit statins and totally change my diet to a low carb diet. My family has no history of heart attacks or diabetes but has high cholesterol. I think the statins did more harm than good in my case and I was on a bee line course to be diabetic. I feel ten times better than I ever have and in a couple months I will get my blood checked to see the changes and no doubt the doc will chastise me and push more statins.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:17 AM
Banned

For anyone on or considering taking statins ensure your doctor understands the relationship between thyroid levels and cholesterol and has a good understanding of endocrinology. You may have other reasons your cholesterol levels aren't in check. Doctors are much too quick to prescribe statins based on a couple of blood tests.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:09 AM

I was on Crestor (I think) a long time ago. Had the worst dizzy spells you cold imagine. Stopped taking them - worked more on exercise and diet and it helped a lot. Just have to keep up the routine. My doc isn't worried about my levels (total is high end but the good stuff is elevated), says that is just the way my body is.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:23 AM

Default statins

It's a complicated question for sure.

Your physician is suggesting a statin to reduce your odds of having a heart attack or stroke. It won't make that risk zero, but with the evidence we have it seems that it reduces your risk by about 25% of what it was before. Most of the evidence comes from preventing a subsequent heart attack or stroke - we're still figuring out what the right thing to do is when a person comes in with multiple risk factors for a heart attack/stroke but hasn't had one yet.

What we do know is that your LDL and cholesterol are risk factors, and are easily treated.

Ultimately, drugs are only a small part in reducing your risk. Diet and lifestyle are equally if not more important. For example, if you smoke there is no pill better for your health than quitting smoking.

There was a big review a few years ago that looked at Statins and side effects - they found no more side effects with statins than placebo. There are a few unlucky individuals who can get a bad reaction in their muscles or liver to statins (both detectable with blood work). By in large, people attribute every little ache and pain they get to a statin just because they read so much bad press - it's actually pretty rare.

Just remember that the controls and safety checks for prescription medications are much more stringent than any natural health product out there, and when there are risks your physician will monitor for them carefully. Just last week I saw an article about an elderly gentlemen who presented with arsenic poisoning after a history of using Chinese herbs - his tradition Chinese medicine practitioner certainly wasn't following him for arsenic levels. If you start a statin, your GP will send you for some blood work in about a month to check for either of those adverse effects.

Good luck!
Old 04-20-2019, 10:46 AM

I was put on a statin drug after having a mild heart attack two years ago, but I found it effected my body too much. Had muscle pain from it. I researched other options and found many articles on niacin to lower cholesterol. You have to work your body up to taking 2-3 grams per day, but it does lower cholesterol very well and my levels are normal now. Don't take the no flush niacin however as it does nothing to curb cholesterol. You need the cheap immediate release niacin to see results, but it is uncomfortable at the start because of the flushing effect. I take 1 gram at breakfast and another gram before bed.
Read up on niacin and discuss with your doctor. It worked for me.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:01 PM

Default statins

There was a large review of niacin a few years ago - it indeed lowers cholesterol and LDL but didn't show any mortality benefit and most people didn't tolerate the side effects.

Cochrane systematic reviews are some of the highest quality evidence we have in medicine.

https://www.cochrane.org/CD009744/VA...scular-disease
Old 04-20-2019, 01:44 PM

Have you tried Garcinia Cambogia pills. If not ask your Dr if you can try them out.
They will help with cholesterol.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:09 PM

Interesting read if you are so inclined:
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...e-statins.aspx
Old 04-20-2019, 03:14 PM

I have been prescribed 3 statins, the first gave me terrible insomnia, the second, unbearable leg pains, third, psychotic dreams. I'll try other treatments but so far I'd rather just go out with a bang than take this garbage. I'm due to catch heck from the doc next month.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post

No thanks, the guy was selling something as soon as I opened the web page....
Old 04-20-2019, 07:33 PM

Some people in my family have had high bad cholesterol with no ill effects, other have had heart problems. Cholesterol levels are only one piece of the puzzle. You may want to evaluate how high your levels are relative to what they call normal. If your levels are only slightly elevated you may want to try diet and exercise, if they are really high then it may be worth it to go on the statins for a while to lower the numbers adjust diet and exercise.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Great example of the crap posted online that many people take to be scientific truth. This guy has a clear motivation to move his product (hence the website and his ads) which leads to a severe bias.

His "article" is not peer reviewed or published in a journal - just on his website. He also made numerous claims without citing any evidence for support.

Last, osteopathic physicians are not even recognized in Canada. It is a parallel stream of training in the US. In other words, he doesn't even have a medical degree.

Please consider the source and credibility of the information you consume online. There really is no quality filter for the material freely available to the public.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:40 AM

I’ve been on statins for a few years now. They started me on Lipitor, and while my cholesterol numbers dropped significantly, I did have a lot of joint and muscle pain especially noticeable at night in bed when I’d go to turn over.

They switched me over to Crestor, started on a low dose and worked up over time, and the pain went away. Cholesterol is still lowered to really good numbers - in fact at the last go-around, they lowered the dose.

I’m pretty conscious of cholesterol, as I have a family history of stroke from both sides. Helluva way to die, I can tell you that. My dad was a vegetable for six years, and my mother a semi-vegetable for four. I’d take moose turds if they told me it would prevent a stroke.....and if I do have one, I hope I have enough strength left to make it to the gun cabinet.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:07 PM

Ive read some studies out of the UK and elsewhere by Doctors that say usually if you are started out on high dosages (in my case 80 mg) after heart attack, which seems to be standard proceedure in Alberta that one can usually drop to half that (40mg) and get very nearly the same results with blood tests but reduces the side effects by way more than half. I with my Docs consultation cut mine in half from 80 to 40 and got the blood tests done later and there was barely any difference like they said.
With my Docs consultation we are now trying only 20 mg and im due to go for blood tests in May to see if im taking enough or alls good. If 20mg is good ill stay at that, if not it will be back to 40mg's for life.
For what its worth i didnt have any noticable side effects at 80 mg either but i had read Statins are hard on Liver and Kidneys so i wanted to get to a lower level if i could to reduce that risk.
Im not advocating not taking these drugs or doing anything with out the Doc's involvement. I dont have a death wish! Im completely convinced the Lipitor and the other 3 pills im on are extending my life and are helping to have a reasonable quality of life.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:23 PM

Glad things are going well!

If you look at how bad things turned out after heart attacks back in the day it really helps you appreciate the medications we have now.

As far as the liver/kidney concerns - as long as your blood work is ok after you start them you're in the clear. The bad reaction with your liver is something unpredictable that happens when you start them. If you're tolerating the dose you're on, you will unlikely run into trouble.