Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2021, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Pretty sure it wasn't $18M.
Ya it was actually. Bolts are $18m over the cap. No question they are the deepest team in the league but $18m is a huge advantage. Take 2, 3, or even 4 players off that roster and it may have been a different outcome or even a different team in the finals. Suspect NHL may incorporate a rule to address this loophole in the future.

The Bolts will be a much different looking team next year. They will need to move quite a few pieces off this team to get down to the cap and will loose a piece with expansion draft but even so hey will still be a significant threat next year.

Strong drafting and development is the way to the promise land.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Over cap, under cap....bla bla bla the best team won within the rules....will it be addressed over the next year? Maybe but there is one thing that will not change...back to back champions.

Montreal fell short, maybe next year

Go Canucks!,,,,

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-08-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Wink
Over cap, under cap....bla bla bla the best team won within the rules.
Exactly! The rules are the same for everyone, and the series was not even close. Montreal benefited from playing in a soft Canadian division, and only beat one team outside of that division, before Tampa Bay beat them fairly easily.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:03 AM

Kudos to the Habs for a great playoff run.

This salary cap loophole should have been addressed, and TB did have a lineup advantage over all teams they played during the playoffs.

2034 headlines: Vancouver Canucks finally make it to the playoffs and will play Seattle Kraken in the first round...
Old 07-08-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Ya it was actually. Bolts are $18m over the cap. No question they are the deepest team in the league but $18m is a huge advantage. Take 2, 3, or even 4 players off that roster and it may have been a different outcome or even a different team in the finals. Suspect NHL may incorporate a rule to address this loophole in the future.

The Bolts will be a much different looking team next year. They will need to move quite a few pieces off this team to get down to the cap and will loose a piece with expansion draft but even so hey will still be a significant threat next year.

Strong drafting and development is the way to the promise land.

I think I see what you're doing to get near the $18M over cap. You're taking player contracts that we're on LTIR for the entire season, and never played a game, or were never there to play a game i.e. Marion Gaborik. Theyre paying these 2 players LTIR salaries without ever intending to play them. LTIR doesn't count vs the cap.

TBay was cap compliant for this entire season then had Kucherov and his $9.5M per come back for the playoffs putting them $9.5M over cap for the playoffs.

A bit unfair to include salary being paid out on old contracts, etc to inactive players in with the playing roster? Bolts did nothing against league rules. Dallas could have done the same with Seguins salary but activated him for 3 games trying to make the playoffs. Bolts didn't need to do that.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:45 AM

Most important thing is that Montreal lost….and were shut out
Old 07-08-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I think I see what you're doing to get near the $18M over cap. You're taking player contracts that we're on LTIR for the entire season, and never played a game, or were never there to play a game i.e. Marion Gaborik.
I'm not doing anything. The Bolts as per the data were $18m over the cap for the playoffs ($17.3m I believe is the exact number) as how it applies according to the NHL salary cap rules which applies equally to all the teams. You can't ignore players on LTIR. All players listed on the roster and past bad signings exist on likely every team some of which the players are even retired from playing in hockey, but it all counts to the cap for all teams.

The bolts circumvented around the rules which incidentally every other team could have done just as easily. Big difference the Bolts had the roster depth and circumstances that allowed for the bending of the rules no other team in the league likely could even if they wanted to. Take Kucherov and Hedman off the roster ~$17.3m and its a totally different team.

Bolts won, back-to-back, as per the current rules, and will likely be one of the favorites next year even if their roster looks significantly different in 2021/2022.

Last edited by Penner; 07-08-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
I'm not doing anything. The Bolts as per the data were $18m over the cap for the playoffs ($17.3m I believe is the exact number) as how it applies according to the NHL salary cap rules which applies equally to all the teams. You can't ignore players on LTIR. All players listed on the roster and past bad signings exist on likely every team some of which the players are even retired from playing in hockey, but it all counts to the cap for all teams.

The bolts circumvented around the rules which incidentally every other team could have done just as easily. Big difference the Bolts had the roster depth and circumstances that allowed for the bending of the rules no other team in the league likely could even if they wanted to. Take Kucherov and Hedman off the roster ~$17.3m and its a totally different team.

Bolts won, back-to-back, as per the current rules, and will likely be one of the favorites next year even if their roster looks significantly different in 2021/2022.

Actually you are. You're adding in permanent LTIR contracts i.e. Marion Gaborik who hasn't played a game since 2018. Players on LTIR, short or long term, do not count vs the cap. They assumed $$ to facilitate other favors. You can't include LTIR contracts when mentioning salary cap because they aren't active roster salaries.

Blackhawks did the same thing in 2015 when they LTIR'd Patrick Kane with a broken collarbone in February. That money written off allowed them to bring in 2-3 other contracts, Vermette, Timonen, etc. and not be over cap for the season. Playoffs roll around and Kane's healthy, playing, and winning the Stanley Cup vs....Tampa Bay. Good on TBay for learning a lesson.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:20 AM

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/not-all-...ests-1.5501277
Old 07-08-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtimoseMan View Post
Why am I not surprised that of the major parties, Montreal fans are by far the most common among liberals?
Old 07-08-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtimoseMan View Post

Interesting poll, but not really. I knew of 3 people cheering for the Habs in the final. 1 has been a fan from birth and was born in Montreal, and the other was my dumbarse brother.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Actually you are. You're adding in permanent LTIR contracts i.e. Marion Gaborik who hasn't played a game since 2018. Players on LTIR, short or long term, do not count vs the cap. They assumed $$ to facilitate other favors. You can't include LTIR contracts when mentioning salary cap because they aren't active roster salaries.

Blackhawks did the same thing in 2015 when they LTIR'd Patrick Kane with a broken collarbone in February. That money written off allowed them to bring in 2-3 other contracts, Vermette, Timonen, etc. and not be over cap for the season. Playoffs roll around and Kane's healthy, playing, and winning the Stanley Cup vs....Tampa Bay. Good on TBay for learning a lesson.
I actually read an article a few months back that said after the Kane exploit in 2015, The Tampa Bay lightning were the one team that called for change.

having said that I can't find the article anywhere now, so not sure of the validity. Can't believe everything you read on the internet….
Old 07-08-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
I actually read an article a few months back that said after the Kane exploit in 2015, The Tampa Bay lightning were the one team that called for change.

having said that I can't find the article anywhere now, so not sure of the validity. Can't believe everything you read on the internet….

The owners discussed it prior to the 2016 season. Did nothing.