Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Lost my 10 tomato and pepper plants, first year the frost got em. Looks like I need to find store bought.
Tough luck. Happened to me last year. No frost in the forecast, but they got hammered the second night after I put them in. Luckily, I had a few left inside and my cousin hooked me up with a few of his spares.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:33 PM

Default Planting garden

We used to plant certain seeds in the fall after the temperature dropped enough that the seeds would not sprout. If they sprouted then they would die in the winter. I think we planted onion sets, garlic, peas. radish,carrots,turnip and I can`t remember what else. Similar to how wild plants work.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:50 PM

Everything seems to have made it threw the snow.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2021, 01:26 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Less than a week later:

And damn near all of them are going now!

The strawberries also decided to give them a run for being first harvest:

Cheers,
Nog
Old 06-07-2021, 09:12 PM

Lo of 3c here tonight in Calgary,really getting sick of moving everything.Cold frames are OK for the veggies its all the wife's begonias etc.That gotta go into the garage.
Lets hope this is the last sub 5c night.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:08 AM

Default where am I going wrong???

maybe need to try a different fertilizer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_Screenshot_20210606-002838_Instagram.jpg (35.8 KB, 96 views)

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-14-2021, 05:40 AM

The heat is making things grow and ripen

Old 06-14-2021, 05:52 PM

Potato wilting hot today,everything of mine is so far behind ill be harvesting frozen veggies ha.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Potato wilting hot today,everything of mine is so far behind ill be harvesting frozen veggies ha.
They will catch up.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:33 PM

I just filled a couple buckets of weeds and mounded my potatoes.

When weeding the potato’s I found someone dug up one of the mounds to get to a bunch of perch.

So... now my two skunk traps are set with dead perch chunks.

Man I need to buy a trail cam.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-21-2021, 10:31 PM

Anyone use clean wood ash in their garden or compost?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-21-2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
A first for me!!

Yep, those are garlic scapes forming. On the first of June?? WTH??

They've topped four feet already, and have a nice average diameter:

But I've never even heard of scapes being developed this early, ever.
Methinks that signals we are in for a somewhat early harvest.
Hope the weather stays warm...

Cheers,
Nog
So I planted garlic late. Had some old Cloves in the fridge. They have sprouted above ground. So now they won’t create edible garlic cloves until next year or will I have some in the Fall?
Old 06-22-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Anyone use clean wood ash in their garden or compost?
Good source of potassium,Ca and Mg.Will also bring pH up.Ive added it to compost but never directly to plants.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Good source of potassium,Ca and Mg.Will also bring pH up.Ive added it to compost but never directly to plants.
I've added wood ash for years, now my PH is a TOO high and I'm trying to get it down. It's a good idea to do a PH test before adding anything
Old 06-22-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlhoot View Post
I've added wood ash for years, now my PH is a TOO high and I'm trying to get it down. It's a good idea to do a PH test before adding anything
My ph is good or could use a little more sulphur.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:06 PM

Potatoes are coming along. Just a few for supper

Old 06-22-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
Potatoes are coming along. Just a few for supper

Very nice. My plants are looking good.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 06-22-2021 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
My ph is good or could use a little more sulphur.
If you ph is good then you can add directly to soil, but not too much. Also keep it away from spuds, it promotes scab fungus.

Dont add ash from news paper burning - it has r3sidual chemicals you dont want in your soil.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:32 PM

I built a greenhouse this year and finding that the tomotoes are doing much better. Also i have put my cucumbers in hanging baskets and they seem to like it. I read that the cukes grow straighter if they hang vertically and they tak3 up less space. If i can figure out how to post a picture i will add.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:58 AM

A bumper crop of strawberries. Strawberrie jam on the way.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:19 PM
Banned

Does anyone add anything to their soil after their potatoes have sprouted and /or when mounding them? I’d like to know if there is something that I should be doing to increase my harvest and/or increase the size of the potatoes. I grow mine in tires and only water once a week and mound them when it’s time.
Would adding blood meal to the soil that I use to mound them help accomplish that?
Old 06-23-2021, 03:50 PM

Isn't blood meal mostly nitrogen so it would help grow bigger tops but I don't know if that would translate to more potatoes or just bigger tops. But this is my first year of conventional gardening.

For me I rented a plot just out of town the potatos onions and beans are going ok, along with the cabbage and pumpkin I transplanted last week, but I probably lost one of the pumpkin.

None of my carrots beets or cucumbers sprouted so I have replanted them and I am making sure that I am out watering at least every second day especially with next week's heat.

In the yard it looks like I will get some haskap berries soon. I even got a berry or two on last years new additions.

I should get a reasonable amount of cherries but that cold snap may have messed the pollination so rather than having more than I can use I will get some for a batch or two of jam, but time will tell.

Most of the raspberries I planted last year did not return but the ones that did are already throwing suckers so another year or two for those.

I was pleasantly surprised by how many of my strawberries survived me pulling the landscape fabric out of the beds. Now without the fabric messing up the runners I should get the beds properly ground covered with strawberries.

This years grow of that other plant is going ok but the new pup has developed a hate on for one pot and keeps digging out the seedling from that one pot.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Does anyone add anything to their soil after their potatoes have sprouted and /or when mounding them? I’d like to know if there is something that I should be doing to increase my harvest and/or increase the size of the potatoes. I grow mine in tires and only water once a week and mound them when it’s time.
Would adding blood meal to the soil that I use to mound them help accomplish that?
No,potatoes like all root vegetables like more P and K.Blood meal is 10-0-0 ish,you want more of a 5-10-10.Blood meal will also attract dogs/yotes to dig.

Bone meal would be a better choice,but organic means you fertilize for next year so maybe to late to get it to break down for this year.Some water soluble stuff would kick them into high gear the quickest.

Last edited by Tungsten,; 06-23-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:00 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
So I planted garlic late. Had some old Cloves in the fridge. They have sprouted above ground. So now they won’t create edible garlic cloves until next year or will I have some in the Fall?
Plant those right now.
They will be somewhat late, but serviceable.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 06-23-2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Plant those right now.
They will be somewhat late, but serviceable.

Cheers,
Nog
Done. Some are growing up already. I read that the leaves can be cooked like chives for a mild garlic flavour.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:18 PM

Lots of heat and sun coming. Hopefully no thunderstorms.

I’m thinking watering morning and night with some fertilizer and heat should really make the garden grow
Old 06-25-2021, 08:34 AM

Default Heat Coming

We had +37 in the Hat a couple weeks ago, It scalded the spinach and beet leaves and made the lettuce bolt and go to seed
Old 06-25-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlhoot View Post
We had +37 in the Hat a couple weeks ago, It scalded the spinach and beet leaves and made the lettuce bolt and go to seed
Yikes. Maybe I need to buy more shade cover.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:13 AM

We pulled all the radishes and planted a second crop. Wifey made pickled radishes for the first time , very tasty!
Old 06-25-2021, 10:51 AM

Its been a good year so far. Asparagus has been amazing, tomato/carrots/peas are coming along. We had an issue with rodents in horticulture mounds last couple years. Started transplanting snakes in to them and its been great. No more rodents.

We now have way more haskaps than the 6 of us can eat, guna start drying them, saskatoons bushes are full, going to get my first cherries this year, apple grafts are taking good, did have some die back on some of last years grafts, and my pear on Saskatoon grafts, but no die back on appricot grafts. Looking forward to next year, hope some of these fruit trees get in to production

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk