Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2021, 09:34 PM

Default Canada Goose

Bends to pressure and stops the use of fur in its garmets next year. They are also picking away at the feathers as well. Welcome the synthetic world as oil and chemicals are still ok.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:19 AM

Default goose

I invested in Canada Goose a few years back while the fur market was really hot. I should have done a bit more research, as I found out they sold major shares to PETA who have been influencing a lot of their manufacturing since.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:25 AM

Cue coyote population explosion
Old 06-25-2021, 07:46 AM

Their sales of high end parks are growing exponentially in many countries. They will need many thousands of coyote pelts to supply the demand. I know I would never buy a $1000 plus parka with some ratcheted recycle fur on it.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:41 AM

This is going to turn out to be a major mistake. Most of the markets where the large growth in sales is, don't care about fur trapping. China will eat most any animal, can't see them being real PETA friendly. They want high end, prestige goods. I am thinking the knock offs will keep using real fur and will end up kicking these PETA huggers butts. One more Canadian company mistaking woke as being a marketing tool. Saw a recent survey where 98% of respondents said they care about the environment but further down the survey questions, 82% of respondents said they never consider ESG when actually purchasing goods, or picking retailers. Squeaky wheel gets the attention but it doesn't mean you will prosper from it.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
This is going to turn out to be a major mistake. Most of the markets where the large growth in sales is, don't care about fur trapping. China will eat most any animal, can't see them being real PETA friendly. They want high end, prestige goods. I am thinking the knock offs will keep using real fur and will end up kicking these PETA huggers butts. One more Canadian company mistaking woke as being a marketing tool. Saw a recent survey where 98% of respondents said they care about the environment but further down the survey questions, 82% of respondents said they never consider ESG when actually purchasing goods, or picking retailers. Squeaky wheel gets the attention but it doesn't mean you will prosper from it.
Their share price is up 13% in the last 5 days including their announcement of stopping using real coyote fur so the market is not unhappy with them so far.

The coats are a good product and mine was actually pretty warm - I sold mine and this was a couple of years ago so things could have changed.

Most of the people I see wearing them are in the city and I don't think the use of fake furs is really going to bother them that much. The trim is just decorative really.

Prada stopped using fur in their goods a couple of years ago and their share price is still trucking along pretty good. Calvin Klein hasnt used fur in decades and they seem to be doing OK as well. Aritzia (a womens brand) has also never used fur and they too sell quite expensive coats ($500+ easily) and their coats frequently sell out.

I think most of the buyers of these goods are more after the name brand than anything else - it is a very "look at me" kind of thing and as long as the brand name is there I am going to guess the sales will continue. These coats were never a "hard use" product anyways with the exception of their Arctic one.

Only time will tell of course but I think there is a pretty big disconnect between the users of this forum (largely 30+ year old white males into the outdoors) and the luxury good consuming populace.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
Their share price is up 13% in the last 5 days including their announcement of stopping using real coyote fur so the market is not unhappy with them so far.

The coats are a good product and mine was actually pretty warm - I sold mine and this was a couple of years ago so things could have changed.

Most of the people I see wearing them are in the city and I don't think the use of fake furs is really going to bother them that much. The trim is just decorative really.

Prada stopped using fur in their goods a couple of years ago and their share price is still trucking along pretty good. Calvin Klein hasnt used fur in decades and they seem to be doing OK as well. Aritzia (a womens brand) has also never used fur and they too sell quite expensive coats ($500+ easily) and their coats frequently sell out.

I think most of the buyers of these goods are more after the name brand than anything else - it is a very "look at me" kind of thing and as long as the brand name is there I am going to guess the sales will continue. These coats were never a "hard use" product anyways with the exception of their Arctic one.

Only time will tell of course but I think there is a pretty big disconnect between the users of this forum (largely 30+ year old white males into the outdoors) and the luxury good consuming populace.

I would say that the bolded bit is a pretty accurate statement. I know the last time I was in New York, about 5 years ago, I was in a Store that had $5,000 men's cashmere sweaters, and two people actually bought them while I was there. A few doors down was a shop selling what looked like the identical sweater for 300 bucks but you didn't get the Neiman Marcus bag and that is exactly what those people really care about. A guy can always hope though!
Old 06-25-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I would say that the bolded bit is a pretty accurate statement. I know the last time I was in New York, about 5 years ago, I was in a Store that had $5,000 men's cashmere sweaters, and two people actually bought them while I was there. A few doors down was a shop selling what looked like the identical sweater for 300 bucks but you didn't get the Neiman Marcus bag and that is exactly what those people really care about. A guy can always hope though!
Yeah myself and likely a majority of guys on the forum fall under that banner, I’ve never heard of Neiman Marcus bags or clothing or whatever they sell. In my mind as well $300 a sweater is awfully expensive much less $5000, some people have more money than brains and care about the dumbest things. One can hope that at some point common sense will prevail but I’m not holding my breath for that