Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-29-2020, 04:44 PM

Default 6.5prc vs 7mm mag

Been thinking of getting a new rifle in one of these two calibers. Already have a 308 but would like to get into a stainless rifle. The savage 110 storm is on for a great price of $750 right now after rebate with a crossfire 2 scope. Thoughts? Or should I just hold out till I can afford a Mesa?
Old 09-29-2020, 05:23 PM

I have had a few rifles in 7mmremmag and I currently own a 6.5PRC, and while the 7mmremmag is likely a better choice for elk and moose, I really like the 6.5PRC. As far as rifle goes, after owning a Traverse in 6.5PRC, and working with two Mesa rifles in 7mmrem mag, I would wait for the Mesa ,over any Savage.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
Been thinking of getting a new rifle in one of these two calibers. Already have a 308 but would like to get into a stainless rifle. The savage 110 storm is on for a great price of $750 right now after rebate with a crossfire 2 scope. Thoughts? Or should I just hold out till I can afford a Mesa?
I like building on Savage rifles and just helped put together a 6.5PRC that is an outstanding shooter .
The 6.5 PRC is a little less velocity than the 6.5 WSM and the 6.5SAUM wildcats I Used to shoot but you don't have to make cases with the PRC.
If I were looking for a dedicated long range elk and moose cartridge I would look elsewhere but he 6.5 PRC will do it all out to 400 to 500 meters for you with no issues .
Cat
Old 09-30-2020, 12:29 PM

The larger assortment of available bullets/loaded ammo for the 7mm Rem Mag would be my leaning.

The 6.5 PRC is quite the shooter and no doubt will/has harvest a wack of elk/moose in the future.
That saying, its design is a long range 6.5 magnum and the current trend of trying to snipe animals is part of its allure.

When my 308N Mag barrel goes, its going to be rebarrelled to the 7mm Rem.

Just because of convenience.

Old 09-30-2020, 01:15 PM

Default 6.5 prc

I would choose the 6.5 PRC

1) High BC to weight ratio projectiles

2) Short Action firearm (lighter weight) more options

3) Hate the belted Magnum / dont like reloading for them

If your looking for something with more punch than the 6.5 PRC then go all the way and do a 300 PRC.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:59 PM

I've got my druthers but they dont matter. What i can say without any equivocation is....the scope you mention would make a very nice paperweight. Putting one on a nice rifle like you're talking about is sacrilege.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:54 AM

Go 6.5 PRC awesome caliber, I have a Sauer 100 classic XT shoots lights out!
Old 11-04-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
Be prepared to have that scope break on you. Package deals are generally a waste of money.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Be prepared to have that scope break on you. Package deals are generally a waste of money.
Most pkg's I have seen in recent years offer a serviceable scope, especially if the scope in a vortex....
Old 11-06-2020, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorse Cowboy View Post
The larger assortment of available bullets/loaded ammo for the 7mm Rem Mag would be my leaning.

The 6.5 PRC is quite the shooter and no doubt will/has harvest a wack of elk/moose in the future.
That saying, its design is a long range 6.5 magnum and the current trend of trying to snipe animals is part of its allure.

When my 308N Mag barrel goes, its going to be rebarrelled to the 7mm Rem.

Just because of convenience.

If a person was shooting factory ammo the 7 mag would certainly win out there , but if hand loading , I see no difference in bullet selection .
Brass however may initially be a bit of a draw back for some .
The PRC was designed for that magical ceiling of 3,000 FPS Max in PRC shooting from what I understand , and if I were sticking to a "deer - coyote- wolf cartridge "or a range rifle I would certainly go that route . However I really think the 7 mag handles bigger Bullets better for a " moose- elk cartridge".
Cat
Old 11-06-2020, 07:30 AM

If you handload the 7 mag might be a better choice with a 8 twist barrel and +P chamber...
Old 11-06-2020, 11:23 AM

I have both calibers and love them same.

both have their own advantages

can't go wrong with either
Old 11-06-2020, 02:00 PM

Default 6.5 prc & 7 mag

Well I have them both but for elk moose I love my 300 wm . Took my 6x6 bull elk this year with the 6.5 and it’s a tack driver but it left me felling a bit under gunned . More shots than I have ever needed to stop a bull before. For deer I think it’s a absolutely perfect gun . I was caught up in the hype and thought it was the new Cadillac for shooting . My wife also shoots a 6.5 prc her cow elk took one in the lung and just keep walking 90 yards later the second shot spines her and dropped her where she was . So after 2 elk down thay work but be prepared for follow up shots . I don’t like chasing wounded game and heaven forbid loosing one . I will stick to my old reliable dirt nap tested 300 wm . I believe Elk are way to tough and stubborn .The bull I shot 4 years ago was missing half his heart and managed to go 200 +yards there will to live can surprise you sometimes .
Old 11-12-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkchaser View Post
Well I have them both but for elk moose I love my 300 wm . Took my 6x6 bull elk this year with the 6.5 and it’s a tack driver but it left me felling a bit under gunned . More shots than I have ever needed to stop a bull before. For deer I think it’s a absolutely perfect gun . I was caught up in the hype and thought it was the new Cadillac for shooting . My wife also shoots a 6.5 prc her cow elk took one in the lung and just keep walking 90 yards later the second shot spines her and dropped her where she was . So after 2 elk down thay work but be prepared for follow up shots . I don’t like chasing wounded game and heaven forbid loosing one . I will stick to my old reliable dirt nap tested 300 wm . I believe Elk are way to tough and stubborn .The bull I shot 4 years ago was missing half his heart and managed to go 200 +yards there will to live can surprise you sometimes .

What kind of bullets are you hunting with in the 6.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2020, 04:44 AM

Just a quick comparison on the hornady ballistics charts shows that the they are very similar in retained energy at 500 yards.

6.5 PRC - 143gr ELDX - 1604 FPS energy at 500 yds

7mm Rem Mag - 162gr ELDX - 1772 FPS energy at 500 yds

And just for comparison here is the 300 win mag
300 Win Mag - 180gr ELDX - 1854 FPS energy at 500 yds

As you can see there is not a lot of difference in retained energy at the 500 yard mark, any one of those has sufficient energy remaining at 500 yards for a quick and humane kill IF you do your job and place the bullet properly, which is the key factor.

Just my 2 cents worth.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:27 AM

For anything bigger than deer: Get the Mesa in 7rm. My personal choice was between the two and I’m very happy with it. .466 with factory ttsx if youre worried about accuracy.

What the bullet does when it hits is just as important as shot placement. Think about it: if the whole herd of elk runs over the blood trail, do you want one little hole or two big ones leaking? What does a moose do when spooked or shot - run towards water - do you want him to make it into the pond?

Look at what elkchaser said. That’s pretty much what the overall sum of experiences I’ve heard of sound like.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
For anything bigger than deer: Get the Mesa in 7rm. My personal choice was between the two and I’m very happy with it. .466 with factory ttsx if youre worried about accuracy.
I liked mine so much that I bought one for my son too

Both shoot the same load - 150 TTSX - quite nicely thank you very much.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkchaser View Post
So 6.5 swede will work on elk, but stay away from 6.5 prc?
Old 11-14-2020, 07:52 AM

I killed my elk last week with 6.5 PRC using 156gr Berger. I was amazed at how fast he went done. Shot was high lung. No follow up shot needed.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I killed my elk last week with 6.5 PRC using 156gr Berger. I was amazed at how fast he went done. Shot was high lung. No follow up shot needed.
Yup, Moose and deer so far this year with my 6.5PRC 156 bergers, R26 @ 3000 FPS = deadly. I have a few 7mm mags as well but love my 6.5,s
Old 11-14-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
What is your 156 EOL load?

I've got a 6.5prc on the way in the mail and plan on trying these bullets.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
What is your 156 EOL load?

I've got a 6.5prc on the way in the mail and plan on trying these bullets.
RL26 2900fps from 22" Carbon six barrel.