Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2021, 11:34 PM

Suspensions in the playoffs are usually about 1/2 the length of a regular season suspension. No history, so I am seeing this as a 1 game suspension in the regular season, but you can't give a 1/2 game suspension. I am thinking a $5000 fine.

It was a clean hit on a player in a vulnerable position. Timing was the big issue here.. a split second before he saves a goal and it is a great hit... a split second later it is bump in front of the net after a goal.

Tough call. George must be pounding the old JD lately.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm curious what the league will do. I watched it about a dozen times, maybe charging but don't think it was boarding, didn't leave his feet, and it wasn't late (same "late" criteria for a pass apply for a goal or whistle?). The angle I saw made it very difficult to tell if Evans head was the main point of contact or if his body was and Schiefle's shoulder road up for secondary contact. He definitely cranked his head pretty good on the ice though. Maybe intent to injure, which is difficult to prove, as he made no attempt to reach for the puck?
He did appear to stop skating before the hit. To me that shows he wasnt interested in stopping the puck and only harm, which I think also helps show intent.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:57 AM

Cheap and dirty hit. I am thinking 2 - 4 games.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:20 AM

I say definitely a suspension a couple game min, he made no attempt to play the puck or to let up he was targeting Evans all the way, even with no history they have to suspend him or it will set a dangerous precedent for the rest of the playoffs.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:26 AM

Probably alone on this one but I don't think Schieffle was attempting to injure and don't think it warrants a suspension either. Original point of contact was Evans chest. Coming around the net to wrap the puck like that is a risky play at any time let alone the playoffs in a close game.

Evans had to know he was going to get hit by the backchecker so I put some onus on him for going for it. Don't like to see an injury happen but don't like to see a player put himself in a vulnerable position either.

Either way the complexion of this series just changed big time. Memories of Raffi Torres minus the deliberate head shot.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Probably alone on this one but I don't think Schieffle was attempting to injure and don't think it warrants a suspension either. Original point of contact was Evans chest. Coming around the net to wrap the puck like that is a risky play at any time let alone the playoffs in a close game.

Evans had to know he was going to get hit by the backchecker so I put some onus on him for going for it. Don't like to see an injury happen but don't like to see a player put himself in a vulnerable position either.

Either way the complexion of this series just changed big time. Memories of Raffi Torres minus the deliberate head shot.
I agree with you. If there is no injury, people would be discussing what an awesome hit he made. With the instant knockout, people say it’s dirty. There is hitting in hockey. Intent to injure?? Everything I’m someone gets hit it’s to harm them slightly. He hits him a split second sooner and the puck is still on his stick.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
I agree with you. If there is no injury, people would be discussing what an awesome hit he made. With the instant knockout, people say it’s dirty. There is hitting in hockey. Intent to injure?? Everything I’m someone gets hit it’s to harm them slightly. He hits him a split second sooner and the puck is still on his stick.
That was a legal and atta boy hit 20 years ago....not now.

Check the rule book was defines charging....

He is gone more than likely for this series....

He was crazy the whole game...a little over the edge.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-03-2021, 07:42 AM

Reaves had an extensive history of dirty plays, and only got two games for an intent to injure, so there is no way that he should get more than Reaves. It was a cheap hit, but you have to keep your head up, it isn't minor hockey.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:47 AM

Appears as though Scheifele's elbow is up also.

2-3 games suspension.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:18 AM

Intent is always difficult to prove. Scheliffe is not a dirty player but he was wound up all game. Gutless hit with no let up at all...... and he did leave his feet. Again, always hard to see as he was following through at full speed. No attempt to go for the puck at all.
Evans is a great 4th liner with concussion history already and has filled in nice with the habs injuries all year. The type of guys you need on a team to fill voids during playoff runs and do so without recognition.
I say 3 games or more. Either way, Weber chiarot and Edmunston, Anderson, Gallagher, Perry, will make the rink a lot smaller!!!!
Old 06-03-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
No let up at all on that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
He did appear to stop skating before the hit.
He definitely, 100% let up. If you watch the video, he doesn't take a stride from the hashmarks and hits him on/behind the goal line. That's about 20' of coasting prior to making contact.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Gutless hit with no let up at all......
100% he let up. Coasted for about 20' prior to contact.

Quote:
...and he did leave his feet.
You seem to be implying that it was a dirty hit, in part, becasue Scheifele left his feet. You are allowed to leave your feet following contact, happens all the time. Scheifele did not leave his feet prior to contact, so him leaving his feet has no bearing on whether it was a clean hit or not.

Quote:
Either way, Weber Chiarot and Edmunston, Anderson, Gallagher, Perry, will make the rink a lot smaller!!!!
Maybe, but that's really not Montreal's game. I couldn't find the most recent stats, but as of last season, the Jets where younger, taller, and heavier, I don't think that's the type of game that's led to Montreal's success so far and I doubt they'll be wanting to change it now. If they do, I feel that only tilts the ice Winnipeg's direction.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:02 AM

We will agree to disagree on this one. ( hope so)
As to habs current team and their style of play.... I think they led the league in hits.. could be wrong. They are as comfortable with that type of game as any team in the league NOW. They were known as too small forever and a day.
Not anymore. They outhit the Leafs by almost 100 in that 7 game series.
He appears to glide the last 2 strides.That is not much slow down hence the charging call on the ice at time of play. Only thing I can't say for certain is a targeting of the head.

Last edited by walker1; 06-03-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:01 AM

The Golden Knights weren't pleased with the slashing call.

“Just a soft call,” Vegas coach Pete DeBoer said. “I can’t even blame the refs. Because they’re fighting the embellishment of grabbing your face, or falling down, or dropping your stick every period. I can’t even blame the referee on it. They fooled them on it.”

I like it, calling out the refs and the other team all at once.

Can't see it working, but he tried.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
The Golden Knights weren't pleased with the slashing call.

“Just a soft call,” Vegas coach Pete DeBoer said. “I can’t even blame the refs. Because they’re fighting the embellishment of grabbing your face, or falling down, or dropping your stick every period. I can’t even blame the referee on it. They fooled them on it.”

I like it, calling out the refs and the other team all at once.

Can't see it working, but he tried.
Deboer also downplayed Reaves dirty play that resulted in his suspension. If you believed him, his team never does anything wrong. Lol
Old 06-03-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Deboer also downplayed Reaves dirty play that resulted in his suspension. If you believed him, his team never does anything wrong. Lol
Good point..... he wants both sides of the coin.
I do love playoff hockey. Mc Kinnon the machine!!!!!
Old 06-03-2021, 11:52 AM

If you watch hockey or play the game you realize that hit is there multiple times per game. Time and time again I see players passing up the opportunity to completely blindside a guy, usually coming out of the D zone around the net. Hockey is a hard contact sport, but it’s not a license to kill each other. Most guys pass up those types of hits as they know they can easily be the recipient of one themselves.

This hit was dirty. Plain and simple. It doesn’t matter where the original point of contact was. It wasn’t a hit actually, it was a charge. You can’t take those multiple full strides and hit someone at Mach 10. It’s a perfect definition of charging and he should get a couple games for it.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
If you watch hockey or play the game you realize that hit is there multiple times per game. Time and time again I see players passing up the opportunity to completely blindside a guy, usually coming out of the D zone around the net. Hockey is a hard contact sport, but it’s not a license to kill each other. Most guys pass up those types of hits as they know they can easily be the recipient of one themselves.

This hit was dirty. Plain and simple. It doesn’t matter where the original point of contact was. It wasn’t a hit actually, it was a charge. You can’t take those multiple full strides and hit someone at Mach 10. It’s a perfect definition of charging and he should get a couple games for it.
100 percent agreed!!!!
I have been knocked out cold circling the next like that and unable to see the blindside with our goalie in the net. This was in the 80's.
Hearing Evans is concussed and hope for speedy recovery.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:36 PM

If Schiefele was trying to stop the goal, why did he stop skating? He was going for the devastating hit. And shows what his true goal was and intent. I am neither a Habs fan or Jets(Oilers fan). I like Schiefele but that was so wrong!

If it is charging it is an illegal check.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:21 PM

Schiefle gets 4 games for hitting too hard.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:34 PM

Ya, 4 games likely.

George is in a tough spot, was an enforcer.
A few mo ago when Wilson rag-dolled the Rangers, George took some heat for not coming down on Wilson.
Bottom line was, hard to suspend someone for being in a mis match.
He didn’t really beat on the guy.

TBark
Old 06-03-2021, 06:45 PM

4 games is more than I was thinking. I thought 2 max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2021, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
4 games is more than I was thinking. I thought 2 max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought he'd get a fine or one game. Some pretty good video's online showing he didn't leave his feet, didn't elbow, initial point of contact was not the head, borderline charging. Oh well...
Old 06-03-2021, 08:34 PM

4 games is about right for a 1st timer, with any luck the series will be over and so will his playoffs

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I thought he'd get a fine or one game. Some pretty good video's online showing he didn't leave his feet, didn't elbow, initial point of contact was not the head, borderline charging. Oh well...
Are you sure you watched the same hit as the rest of us.........
good grief

Raffi Torres part 7

borderline charging...... adjust the rabbit ears on the set.... this is not 20 years ago
last comment from me on this

Last edited by walker1; 06-03-2021 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I’m with you on that, I will go along with the charging part, although he glided from the hash marks in, he did travel a long way. He gets there 2 seconds sooner and stops the puck from going in, people would think was a good play, possibly. Hit was shoulder to chest, no elbow, feet on the ice.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
I’m with you on that, I will go along with the charging part, although he glided from the hash marks in, he did travel a long way. He gets there 2 seconds sooner and stops the puck from going in, people would think was a good play, possibly. Hit was shoulder to chest, no elbow, feet on the ice.
Yup. He did travel along way, but I think people are kidding themselves if they think he was thinking at the red line "Even's is going to beat us both to the puck in the corner, then he's going to pick it up and curl around behind the net, he's obviously going to have his head down, and as soon as he crosses the goal line I'm going to nail him". He didn't travel along way to hit Evans, he travel along way to stop a goal/beat him to the puck, and when Evan's won the race, the mindset switched to hit Evans. Harsh marks to the goal line are 20', he clearly stops his strides from the other side of the hash marks, and glides/coasts for 20+ feet prior to contact. I don't know about you, but I don't think I've ever seen a charging penalty were the hitter coasted for 20+ feet, in a perfectly straight line, prior to contact. Seems like there is zero responsibility on Evan's to keep his head up. If he didn't hit him so hard, I doubt it would have even been a penalty, hence my comment, "4 games for hitting too hard".
Old 06-03-2021, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yup. He did travel along way, but I think people are kidding themselves if they think he was thinking at the red line "Even's is going to beat us both to the puck in the corner, then he's going to pick it up and curl around behind the net, he's obviously going to have his head down, and as soon as he crosses the goal line I'm going to nail him". He didn't travel along way to hit Evans, he travel along way to stop a goal/beat him to the puck, and when Evan's won the race, the mindset switched to hit Evans. Harsh marks to the goal line are 20', he clearly stops his strides from the other side of the hash marks, and glides/coasts for 20+ feet prior to contact. I don't know about you, but I don't think I've ever seen a charging penalty were the hitter coasted for 20+ feet, in a perfectly straight line, prior to contact. Seems like there is zero responsibility on Evan's to keep his head up. If he didn't hit him so hard, I doubt it would have even been a penalty, hence my comment, "4 games for hitting too hard".
Sigh....your insight and your NHL discipline acumen doesn't matter..He got 4 games..end of story..you can stop twisting/fabricating to prove your agenda
Old 06-03-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Schiefle gets 4 games for hitting too hard.
I am in the minority but I agree with you. Since when should you get away with putting your head down and not have any awareness of what’s going on. What’s next.. guys can skate from end to end without being touched? Smart hockey for Evan’s is get into the corner and dish it out. He put his head down, he scored and he paid the price. Soon hitting will be taken right out of the game.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Sigh....your insight and your NHL discipline acumen doesn't matter..He got 4 games..end of story..you can stop twisting/fabricating to prove your agenda
Seems like you're using the same argument from when I said Tampa's PP was "lethal". How'd that work out?

Thanks for just swooping in and calling me a liar out of the blue though. Goes along way! And I'm curious, what exactly would my "agenda" on a hockey play be?

Last edited by Trochu; 06-03-2021 at 09:34 PM.