Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2021, 04:27 PM

How can you guys take a thread that is a tribute to a couple that have run an outstanding and successful business for 40 years and turn it into a bitch fest. You want to tell people how to run a business better than they can, how about you open up your own shop and show us how it's done.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
How can you guys take a thread that is a tribute to a couple that have run an outstanding and successful business for 40 years and turn it into a bitch fest. You want to tell people how to run a business better than they can, how about you open up your own shop and show us how it's done.
Amen.....people need to put their money where their mouth is
Old 06-09-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Dean, are you in the doghouse with the Mrs? Who is bitching?
Old 06-09-2021, 06:06 PM

Bought a gun thru Pud this morning. I wish them all the best.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Contrary to what you obviously believe i have made several purchases from Bashaw and wasn't biotching at all. Made a simple comment about hoping the new management would make the place a little more buyer friendly by showing what they sell.

You are usually the one taking the same stance when it comes to making a purchase of....anything.

You're a smart guy Dean. Smart enough to know what % online sales and promotion play in this retail day and age and how important a good website can be to promoting a business. The large percentage of posts you make mention of " going online" to research products and the sellers of. Gun parts to automobiles. When you're disappointed have you ever thought YOU should open a similar and show them how things should be done?

Me saying I hope the new management will address that element is likely a helluva lot more helpful than you hoping they stay the same as they've always been. One of us wants them to grow their business. One of us wants them to maintain the status quo. You figure out who's who.

How you get a suggestion to improve a business is a biotchfest is beyond me.

Last edited by 270person; 06-09-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
I buy a lot of parts to keep machines going. Find needed part on dealer website. Phone dealer to confirm inventory. Yep computer says it’s here. Drove to dealer to pick up. Get there and find out part is not there even tho computer and website says it is. Has happened a few times over the years. Not sure where it is on me that I came for the part that computer and website claimed was there. I guess that makes me a fool.

Ritchie Bros are a prime example of a poor website and misrepresentation. I’ve drove a few miles to look at machines that end up not as advertised for options or hours. Yet they sell it on that info and hopefully online buyer did their research. Info on a website or computer is only as good as clown entering it.

I’ve been spoiled over the years. Bashaw Sports is a local store to me. I’ve known the owner a long time from when he worked in a tire shop to opening his first store across the street to where he is now. He’s done well. He’s definitely earned what he’s got. New owner has some big shoes to fill.

Yep your right 270person it’s 2021. Easy to sit on a social media site and pick apart everyone and everything.

Give your head a shake. Yes there's good and bad websites. Did I suggest they make theirs worse?

As to your first two paragraphs I guess I'm still a little amazed one would not call ahead before making the drive. Guess you haven't heard of making a deposit once inventory has been confirmed to eliminate all doubt, or this other new fangled invention...buying online and having it shipped.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
I’ll take good service and prices over a fancy web site any day.

I'm greedy and like all 3.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:56 PM

To be clear, even I said that the new owners should seriously consider a good web presence because this is 2021 and those of us that like walnut stocks on hunting rifles are becoming a tiny fraction of the world. What worked great for Pud is going to be a lot harder to make work over the next 40 years. By all metrics, even 30 years ago, Puds business model should not have worked. Older dilapidated building located in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, miles from a large population centre should never have worked. Hell, even Clay, setting up a major gun store in Llyodminster wasn't exactly the standard formula for success.

I know from years of working and consulting, there are always things to suggest that will improve something. Long and short, it has to be a formula that works for the owner. If he can demonstrate great success despite doing everything 180 degrees off what conventional wisdom says should work, then in my books that is the exception that proves there really aren't many rules that are absolutes.
All I was trying to say is, not everything needs to be improved or modernised. Some of the old ways still work great and should be celebrated, not derided and forced to improve. I will never be okay with transgender ex males competing in women's sport and that is only one example of not all modern ways are an improvement.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:42 PM

Yesterday, I was into P&D. While there, I was chit chatting with Diane and asked her if she knew who purchased Bashaw. She was genuinely surprised. She spoke very highly of Pud, mentioning she'd have to call and congratulate him. When even your main competitors speaks highly of you, then you know that person is a high quality individual.

If they carry on with Pud's helpfulness, and honest/straightforward style, they will likely be successful. Wholesale's closing, and Cabelas/Basspro poor attitude since, has driven many to want to support smalltown local more than ever!
Old 06-09-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
To be clear, even I said that the new owners should seriously consider a good web presence because this is 2021 and those of us that like walnut stocks on hunting rifles are becoming a tiny fraction of the world. What worked great for Pud is going to be a lot harder to make work over the next 40 years. By all metrics, even 30 years ago, Puds business model should not have worked. Older dilapidated building located in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, miles from a large population centre should never have worked. Hell, even Clay, setting up a major gun store in Llyodminster wasn't exactly the standard formula for success.

I know from years of working and consulting, there are always things to suggest that will improve something. Long and short, it has to be a formula that works for the owner. If he can demonstrate great success despite doing everything 180 degrees off what conventional wisdom says should work, then in my books that is the exception that proves there really aren't many rules that are absolutes.
All I was trying to say is, not everything needs to be improved or modernised. Some of the old ways still work great and should be celebrated, not derided and forced to improve. I will never be okay with transgender ex males competing in women's sport and that is only one example of not all modern ways are an improvement.

I wasn't deriding OR forcing anything. How any retail chooses to conduct business is entirely up to them but we both know in today's competitive retail sectors its important to do everything you can to promote your business and keep it prominent. SEO is a big factor and its cheap.

I just find it useful to know what prodict lines a store carries without having to phone and ask. I want a Leupold or Kimber theres not much point in me going to a store that isn't franchised to sell them.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:14 PM

My 2 favourite (with a U) Alberta gun stores are Bashaw Sports (because of the selection and sales prices) and Bartons Big Country (because they also have great sales and will deal).
Seems like every time I go into either store I leave with at least 1 new rifle
Old 06-10-2021, 05:34 PM

Sadly I was there yesterday, sign in window said closed until June 14 or 15 for inventory,
Old 06-10-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Is everyone O.K.? No health problems.
I hate it when one of these unique stores goes. They never come back.
The store isn't going anywhere, the current owner just sold the business to a new owner. He has been interested in selling and retiring for a few years now.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:16 PM

I personally know the new owner very well, he is a very close friend and I can tell you that the store is going to keep its small town feel and nostalgia that you all talk about but also step into 2021 with a brand new website with an online store with inventory lists updated instantly as stuff is bought in store and online.

Being local I grew up with this store, from getting my skates sharpened as a kid to buying my first rifle its been great to have such an unreal store right at home!!

Pud is planning on staying on for the foreseeable future and will assist the new owner in the transition.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:20 PM

Excellent news. Thanks for the insight.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:31 PM

Really tremendous news! Super duper!!
Old 06-22-2021, 05:34 PM

I was there this morning, they are open now, Pud was still there
Old 06-22-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07icanam View Post
I personally know the new owner very well, he is a very close friend and I can tell you that the store is going to keep its small town feel and nostalgia that you all talk about but also step into 2021 with a brand new website with an online store with inventory lists updated instantly as stuff is bought in store and online.

Being local I grew up with this store, from getting my skates sharpened as a kid to buying my first rifle its been great to have such an unreal store right at home!!

Pud is planning on staying on for the foreseeable future and will assist the new owner in the transition.

Great news. Those tweaks will really advance the business. They've already got a strong following of repeat customers and now they'll gain even more.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:31 PM

looks like im taking a drive to Bashaw to buy a lever or a shotgun in 2 weeks... damn i hate you guys
Old 06-23-2021, 12:45 PM

My name is Taras St Jean and I'm the new owner shortly or near July 1. To put everyone's minds at ease, we'll be carrying on business as usual with the addition of an electronic point of sale system and a completely new website and online store. The online store is going to be a work in progress but check back regularly as I add more items, as you can imagine there's lots to put up and it's a rigourous process. My commitment is to make sure all sales experiences are appreciated and smiles all around from everyone here. We're here to help and make a great business fantastic! I'm excited to meet you all. Your suggestions are all considered and appreciated. Cheers!

PS. Pud is staying on for at least a couple of years, hopefully a little less entrepreneuring and more time working with you all and your firearms.

Sent from my SM-N9860 using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2021, 02:58 PM

Wish you best of luck in your endeavors.

Will be in the neighborhood in the near future.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:17 PM

Great to hear!!!! Congrats!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
My name is Taras St Jean and I'm the new owner shortly or near July 1. To put everyone's minds at ease, we'll be carrying on business as usual with the addition of an electronic point of sale system and a completely new website and online store. The online store is going to be a work in progress but check back regularly as I add more items, as you can imagine there's lots to put up and it's a rigourous process. My commitment is to make sure all sales experiences are appreciated and smiles all around from everyone here. We're here to help and make a great business fantastic! I'm excited to meet you all. Your suggestions are all considered and appreciated. Cheers!

PS. Pud is staying on for at least a couple of years, hopefully a little less entrepreneuring and more time working with you all and your firearms.

Old 06-23-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07icanam View Post

I grew up in Bashaw as well, and remember Pud's first store across the street. He sharpened my skates, sold me baseball cleats, golf clubs and my first 4-10 shotgun when I was old enough to hunt ducks and grouse. I even made a special trip back to buy my daughter's first recurve when she started to shoot.

Thanks for the memories, Pud and all the best to the new owners. You've inherited a great legacy!
Old 06-23-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post

Excellent! Been a customer for many years.

Sure you will carry on the tradition!...
Old 06-23-2021, 08:09 PM

Congrats, never been there but may need to go check it out. Best of luck
Old 06-24-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Hope the new management believes in a proper website.

Sorry but I'm not driving to Bashaw to see what lines you carry.
They seem like a great store but having a website that bad these days is brutal.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:05 PM

Why is it so brutal ? Phone them for some good personal service...how many items do you buy at one time ??
Regardless , the new owner is going to do the glossy web site thing so everyone is happy.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:39 AM

I have purchased quite few things there over the years but was recently left a bit disappointed.

I made an online purchase and received a confirmation as such, but my card was never hit and I tried to followup to no avail, I didn’t receive an explanation as to what went wrong either.

No more attempts at online purchases there. I may stop In on my way through to browse though. Website doesn’t have to be glossy it just has to work.

LC
Old 06-29-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Yes, they did, but Pud built the business up over the years, and didn't owe a small fortune like the new owner likely does, so it will be interesting to see where the prices go under the new management.
This will factor in for sure. I suspect that building has been paid off for a long while & back when it was previously bought would not have cost that much. The low overhead there has been a large part of what kept their prices so reasonable over the years (decades).

Always a good spot to poke around, I wish the new owner success.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:11 PM

I ahve bought a lot of stuff there over the years. Since I am rigging up the new smoke pole figured I would check out the website. To call it rugged and antiquated, with very low functionality would be an understatement. I sent them an email with a bunch of suggestions. I can see why your online experience did not turn out well.

Anyone been in the store itself recently?