Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2021, 05:42 PM

Default Italian pipeline workers

We just returned from Valemount, BC. Was at the local restaurant and half of the patrons were speaking Italian. I asked the server if there is a large tourist group? She said no, those are the pipeline workers… WHAT? How many? She said almost 800 people were brought in from Italy to build the pipeline.
I don’t understand that- lots of unemployed people in Alberta and I’m sure some in BC and even probably more in Atlantic provinces and they bring people from Italy?
Old 06-23-2021, 05:43 PM

Default Italian pipeline workers

We just returned from Valemount, BC. Was at the local restaurant and half of the patrons were speaking Italian. I asked the server if there is a large tourist group? She said no, those are the pipeline workers… WHAT? How many? She said almost 800 people were brought in from Italy to build the pipeline.
I don’t understand that- lots of unemployed people in Alberta and I’m sure some in BC and even probably more in Atlantic provinces and they bring people from Italy?
Old 06-23-2021, 05:55 PM

Didn't Ledcor team up with Sicim?
Old 06-23-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
Yup
Old 06-23-2021, 06:01 PM

It has become very common to bring in foreign workers for big projects in Canada
Old 06-23-2021, 06:19 PM

YUP ...........

here it is ........

https://www.sicim.eu/en/news-detail/...act-in-canada/
Old 06-23-2021, 06:26 PM

Specialized work going through the mountains for Trans Canada. I think there are four or five sections TC is doing. Not much difference between that and Canadians working abroad.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:37 PM

So does that mean that we don’t have qualified work force for this job?
Old 06-23-2021, 08:01 PM

I believe its more of a case of the Italian contractor being better qualified.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I believe its more of a case of the Italian contractor being better qualified.
Ya....they have a unique way of doing things.

The work is for TMX (you the taxpayer/financier) not TC.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post

Right! That was the name. They’ve been partnering for years now.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I means that the Canadian workers don’t want to work
Old 06-23-2021, 10:07 PM
Banned

I worked pipeline and remember the Union.....
Old 06-23-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I'm sure there were a number of bids for this work ..... and maybe because they have done work together in the past, they are more comfortable with this contractor.

The other thing is, this is likely specialized work that requires proficiency and expertise - maybe we don't have firms that do this, or can't do this on par for schedule or cost.

Funny enough we had an Italian guy come out for the work done by American Bridge here in Edmonton for the traveler (the continuous concrete pour of the deck on the moving conveyor).

Just like we Canadians travel abroad to do work in other countries I guess.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:37 PM

The locals are very happy with their presence- we were told that you can’t find any hotel room or even private accommodation. Valemount has about 1000 people in total and 800 Italian workers…. Again, that’s what we were told by the waitress at the restaurant. She said that people are renting a single room in a house for like $2,000 a month… And all beer and wine sales are thru the roof, lol!
Old 06-24-2021, 05:19 AM

That’s what the non union companies you guys love have been doing for ages
Old 06-24-2021, 06:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

There country wasn’t handing out cerb cheque’s so off to work they went....you go where the work is.....many canadiens work out of country too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-24-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Ya....they have a unique way of doing things.

The work is for TMX (you the taxpayer/financier) not TC.
You are right. I got the coastal gas link and TMX mixed up. TC is also using Italians for that pipeline too.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:37 AM

The union is definetly having a hay day with the companies bringing in the italians, there are some legal fights occurring. That being said, there is a shortage in workers for big inch pipeline builds right now. Between coastal gas link, transmountain, TC energy, pembina and keyera, the big inch pipe industry is crazy busy.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:44 AM

Not to steer this in the ditch..But how did the Foreigners form Italy get to come in Canada to work with COVID rampant and no one enters the country??
I'm sure your all well qualified to work for a decent wage. same here in the states. We just got a Pg Iron plant in Ohio and bringing Africans in to work for years.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
The union is definetly having a hay day with the companies bringing in the italians, there are some legal fights occurring. That being said, there is a shortage in workers for big inch pipeline builds right now. Between coastal gas link, transmountain, TC energy, pembina and keyera, the big inch pipe industry is crazy busy.
There may be a shortage of skilled workers for these projects but bringing in large numbers of foreign workers vs training Canadians is a short sighted way to solve the problem

Odds are you could cut back on the number of foreign workers and supplement untrained Canadians so they gain experience/training. Odds are only a portion of the 800 in Valemount provide skill/knowledge that is lacking in Canada and the rest are providing general manpower

I have seen this in other large projects
Old 06-24-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaround View Post
Not to steer this in the ditch..But how did the Foreigners form Italy get to come in Canada to work with COVID rampant and no one enters the country??
I'm sure your all well qualified to work for a decent wage. same here in the states. We just got a Pg Iron plant in Ohio and bringing Africans in to work for years.
They would have gotten in as essential workers. It's the same as all the Ontario health care workers that have been crossing daily to work in US hospitals.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Yup.

Wouldn’t want to be a purchaser/supply chain guy for a big inch line. Trying to get even just equipment right now is bananas.

Not just Ledcor SICIM either. I believe Steel River Group is also partnered with them (I believe they’re doing a TC line somewhere in central AB and just were awarded a Pembina line near GP).
Old 06-24-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaround View Post
They have been here for years, now. I'm not sure how often they get to go back home since COVID hit, but suffice to say this isn't a recent development.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:35 PM
AO Sponsor

I have a couple buddies doing this stuff (as I am sure we all do) and they both are saying that tons of guys don't want to come back to work and they are short handed like crazy! Sad to think about really.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-24-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
There may be a shortage of skilled workers for these projects but bringing in large numbers of foreign workers vs training Canadians is a short sighted way to solve the problem

Odds are you could cut back on the number of foreign workers and supplement untrained Canadians so they gain experience/training. Odds are only a portion of the 800 in Valemount provide skill/knowledge that is lacking in Canada and the rest are providing general manpower

I have seen this in other large projects
It’s my experience, currently looking for work. An awful lot of places really do not want to train people for positions. Also seems like a lot of Canadians don’t want the jobs in the first place.

Also the unionized company’s do similar things by getting contractors in. From what I’ve heard there’s often a decent gap in how the contractors work and how the union employees work
Old 06-24-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
It’s my experience, currently looking for work. An awful lot of places really do not want to train people for positions. Also seems like a lot of Canadians don’t want the jobs in the first place.

Also the unionized company’s do similar things by getting contractors in. From what I’ve heard there’s often a decent gap in how the contractors work and how the union employees work
When it comes to employer’s being willing to train it varies in my opinion. Some places are all for it, some it depends on the position, others you need to take a lower position to get your foot in the door but some don’t want to train or pay the rate of the skilled Canadian workers.

If you are not willing to take a lower position to get training it’s highly unlikely to get training. But you can also screw up like I did and take a position you are over qualified for and things go no where. I will not repeat that mistake without a contract specifying the length of time I will except the lower position in the future

Right now I have much better offers without looking even but they all involve camp or moving which I am trying to avoid. So for now I swallow my pride and see if things improve with present employer in exchange for staying where I am along with going home each day.

Best luck in your job search things have been picking up over the last month for sure. There is work out there but it’s definitely not may not be ideal
Old 06-24-2021, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
When it comes to employer’s being willing to train it varies in my opinion. Some places are all for it, some it depends on the position, others you need to take a lower position to get your foot in the door but some don’t want to train or pay the rate of the skilled Canadian workers.

If you are not willing to take a lower position to get training it’s highly unlikely to get training. But you can also screw up like I did and take a position you are over qualified for and things go no where. I will not repeat that mistake without a contract specifying the length of time I will except the lower position in the future

Right now I have much better offers without looking even but they all involve camp or moving which I am trying to avoid. So for now I swallow my pride and see if things improve with present employer in exchange for staying where I am along with going home each day.

Best luck in your job search things have been picking up over the last month for sure. There is work out there but it’s definitely not may not be ideal
Thanks! And I hope it improves for you as well. I’m blown away latly about the amount of entry level jobs offering pet time hours but expecting a few year of experience
Old 06-24-2021, 09:15 PM

Not sure if it applies but maybe our Canadian government should make sure that a certain amount of jobs go to Canadian workers of course if they qualify and with the size and type of the job I'm sure they can find em. Maybe someone here can elaborate on out of 800 or maybe more positions require highly qualified personal and how many are help (of course with experience). The unions should be doing the same but if it's not a union job out of luck. BC is or always has been pro union. But like said before in other comments before, get paid to stay at home. I know lots that do not want that life.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Yup.

Wouldn’t want to be a purchaser/supply chain guy for a big inch line. Trying to get even just equipment right now is bananas.

Not just Ledcor SICIM either. I believe Steel River Group is also partnered with them (I believe they’re doing a TC line somewhere in central AB and just were awarded a Pembina line near GP).
Steel river (native owned) is doing the chunk of 48" west of rocky for TC.
Caroline is filled with pipe but apparently that section hasn't been awarded yet.