Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-03-2010, 11:18 PM

Default F.A.C. restricted and non restricted

ive always been a shooter but never owned my own rifle, usually went out with a few friends hunting defenceless microwaves and coffee makers in the gravel pit. but now i live in alberta and i have a few friends that are serious hunters and they wanna take me out in the fall.

my question is this: would it be better to get my non restricted papers on their own OR should i go with the package deal and get both my restricted and non restricted together saving time and money?

i heard its kind of a hassel with paperwork and procedures with the police as far as possession and transport goes.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 PM

Why not take both courses at once?
You dont have to buy a restricted right away,but at least you are legal to do so if you want to at a later date
Old 06-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Banned

I had to think about the same thing back when I challenged the test. The only rifles that I own are for hunting and I don't plan on buying any restricted firearms so I didn't bother with the restricted part. If you think that you might be interested in pistol/revolver shooting in the future then go for it. Otherwise, save your money and buy more bullets.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:28 AM

There is no FAC,it was replaced by the PAL.Do yourself a favor and take the restricted course as well,as I know several people that didn't,and had to go and take it later,costing them more time and expense.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:01 AM

Do them both at the same time and get it over with. I did mine at the same time with no intension of buying restricted firearms, now I own two and looking at another in the near future.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
ive always been a shooter but never owned my own rifle, usually went out with a few friends hunting defenceless microwaves and coffee makers in the gravel pit. but now i live in alberta and i have a few friends that are serious hunters and they wanna take me out in the fall.

my question is this: would it be better to get my non restricted papers on their own OR should i go with the package deal and get both my restricted and non restricted together saving time and money?

i heard its kind of a hassel with paperwork and procedures with the police as far as possession and transport goes.
The only hassel is making a phone call and picking up the fax off the floor (or email)
Old 06-04-2010, 08:24 AM

Take them both, its cheaper in the long run if you change your mind, and who knows someday they may make restircted obsolete as the did prohibited weapons. **** me off, I would sure liked to have collected deringers and pepper guns.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:41 AM

i heard its kind of a hassel with paperwork and procedures with the police as far as possession and transport goes.[/QUOTE]

take both it is less of a hassle. the paper work is the same to get both the only difference is which box you check on the application.

until you actually buy a restricted firearm there is no need to apply for an att (authorization to transport)
Old 06-04-2010, 08:48 AM

I agree, get both, even if you never plan on getting restricted firearms.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:29 AM

thanks for the input guys. i just heard a few horror stories about people getting ****ed around whit the police when it comes to restricted wepons
Old 06-04-2010, 12:35 PM

Default Now that you have your answer

I was just going to post the popcorn eating as the second post.

I thought this post would go sideways in a hurry when you referenced shooting Microwaves etc for target practice.

The Sibbald guys really hate that. (For the record, I understand why)

It's a Friday so maybe everyone is happy and letting it go.

Good luck with the courses.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:17 PM

thanks doodle30 and for the record, i was on van island when we were blasting lawnmowers and computers and stuff, and i could see why people would hate that as nobody cleans the stuff up after they've shot it to bits. there is one place out west where everyone in town goes, its a pretty cool spot but you cant find one square inch of ground without a shell on it