Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-23-2018, 07:56 PM

Default Approx. cost to reload .410?

I'm new to reloading .410 bore, and just wanted to check on others' cost for doing same. This is estimated, after tax and all.

- recycled hulls, new CCI primers, 12 grains of Hogdon Lil' Gun powder, Claybuster wad/sleeves, and 1/2 oz. #7 shot
- for the final capping, I plan to cut cardboard overshot cards with my 3/8" plug cutter.
- costs are all with GST included

I get it working out to about $5.75 per 25 shells.

Assuming you reload .410 bore, that estimated cost seem about right to you?

Sure sounds better than than $18.38, after GST, for a box of 2-1/2" Winchesters at the store. Plus I need a good hobby anyway.

PS using and improving info from Youtube, I've made a primer remover and new primer inserter. Total cost about $6, and a whole lotta time. Message if you want pics.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:21 AM

I forget the cost now but it is even cheaper for me.
I use magtec brass , FFFG Black powder, 410 felt wads , and 410 cards over the shot and powder. Glue the top card in with wood glue.

I deprime / prime on the rifle press , and load with a snug fiting dowel just like it was a muzzle loader.

If you can't find brass cases Google is your friend for reforming many rifle brass to 410
Old 02-24-2018, 07:05 AM

My cost for 410 skeet loads runs just under $6 per box. Since I load several thousand rounds per year, I can't be bothered with overshot cards , or anything else that slows down the process.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My cost for 410 skeet loads runs just under $6 per box. Since I load several thousand rounds per year, I can't be bothered with overshot cards , or anything else that slows down the process.
Obvious you don't use brass shells.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Obvious you don't use brass shells.
Way too slow! I like to start the spring with at least 2000 loads, and when I start running low, I load at least 400 rounds per session. I also load 28 gauge, and I don't want to have to load every week.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:47 AM

I’m set up to reload .410” as well. I’ve got 2, MEC 600 shotshell presses. One stays set up for 12 ya. The other one I have die sets for both 20ga. And .410”.
I haven’t made any .410” reloads in some time.
But the math is quite simple.

7000 grains/pound.(($/lb./7000)xcharge weight.
16 ounces/pound.(($/bag/bag wt(lbs)/16)xOz’s)
X$/100 for primers.
X$/250 for wads.

Add it all up and that’s your price per shell. Multiply by 25 for a price per box.

I’m likely somewhere around $5/box, but I’m using components I sourced a ways back in time.

Hulls are usually given to me or picked up as throw always from the range, so I don’t factor them into the equation.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 AM

Default Re-sizing brass .410 brass

I thought that brass 3" .410 shells was the way to go. WRONG, I have 2 .410 shot guns and it turns out the chambers are different and empty .410 brass from the single shot will not fit in the double barrel. I'm very concerned about getting one of these stuck in a die, so I haven't been using them.

As Elk said having to resize would be a big imposition. Does any one do this, without getting a case stuck?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I thought that brass 3" .410 shells was the way to go. WRONG, I have 2 .410 shot guns and it turns out the chambers are different and empty .410 brass from the single shot will not fit in the double barrel. I'm very concerned about getting one of these stuck in a die, so I haven't been using them.

As Elk said having to resize would be a big imposition. Does any one do this, without getting a case stuck?

Thanks
The biggest issue is that some shotgun presses use a collet to size only the very bottom of the hull, so sizing brass hulls is not going to work in those presses.